Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Somali Scientists

Great walaahi ,,,What is more exciting is that mojority of these pple (in the pics) are fairly young in thier mid thirties and forties,,,amazing!

Chimera   

The Musse boys:

pic.php?uid=AAAAAQAQ_jqR4htviwlPSC1P1iCx

Abdiwahab A. Musse is a Somali scientist who with his colleagues at the University of Guelph and the Hospital for Sick Children in Ontario created a genetically modified mouse expressing an enzyme known as PAD2 at a higher frequency. They found that these mice had significant loss of myelin, and also displayed behavioral deficits, such as abnormal movement, balance, and coordination.

Forensic%20group.jpg

Musse A Musse is a Somali Chief Engineer at the Rettsmedisinsk institut part of the Research Group on Experimental Forensic Medicine which focuses on epidemiological, genetic and immunological, studies of trigger and death mechanisms in sudden unexpected mortalities in infants and toddlers as well in stillbirths and in sudden adult deaths; studies on brain edema by morphological, radiological and genetic methods; and development of better methods for time of death estimation. Furthermore investigation of cases reported to police for medical maltreatment, and finally immunological and biotechnological investigations of colorectal carcinoma and precancerous lesions.

Abdullahi Aw-Musse is a Somali scientist best known for his study entitled; Fourier Transform Infrared (FT-IR) Spectroscopy of Trace Gases HCl and NO of Relevance to Atmospheric Phenomena". He currently works as a Patent Examiner with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in Arlington, VA.

meetdoctormohamed.jpg

Dr. Abdirahman D Mohamed is a Somali Researcher and physician. He is a graduate of the University of Illinois College of Medicine and trained at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore. He also completed a fellowship at the Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health. Dr. Mohamed has many years of clinical experience at Park Nicollet Medical Center and in various African countries. He returned to Minneapolis in July 2008 from a five-year project in Zambia, first as the Senior Technical Advisor for USAID, then as the Country Director for MACEPA, a project funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation

Chimera   

CARE07ZX_op_480x600.jpg

Dr. Khadra Kahin is a board certified chiropractor and the founder and president of MYH Inc. She currently practices in Flint, Michigan. Dr. Kahin is a strong advocate of health and wellness and feels that it is essential to have a wellness organization committed to helping children successfully battle obesity and achieve optimal health.

Chimera   

Abdi Kusow is a Perfect Fit for Iowa State

abdi1.jpg

Abdi Kusow has been a great addition to the department of Sociology at Iowa State University. Kusow was hired this fall as an Associate Professor of Sociology. He brings with him a vast knowledge of teaching and a reputation for cutting-edge research.

Kusow was previously an Associate professor at Oakland University in Michigan. He holds a Ph.D. in sociology from Wayne State College.

This fall semester Kusow has been teaching Sociology 330, which is an undergraduate sociology course in race and ethnicity. The class has around 150 students which has been a little adjustment from his 35 student class size at Oakland University.

One of the first projects in Kusows class is looking into ones ancestry and comparing and contrasting it with someone from another ethnicity.

First, the student contacts their family and assembles a family tree. Next the student interviews someone of another ethnicity. The student asks two questions, Have you ever felt discriminated against, and What do you think of the future of race relations and identities in the United States. The student reads the answers and compares and contrasts the information with his/her own answers.

The students are very excited about this project and it has been very interesting. Kusow says.

Kusow and his family have adjusted quite well to Ames and are enjoying the perks of living in a small community. He and his wife, Lul, love the Ames school system and it has been great for their two boys, Omar and Abbas.

We were never able to go to football games in Michigan, but my boys and I love to go to the Iowa State games. Kusow says.

When Dr. Kusow is not cheering on the cyclones at Jack Trice Stadium or teaching his Sociology courses, he is busy with his research. He researches the social economic achievement and demographic settlement patterns of the African immigrant population in the United States. Kusow is ultimately looking at how understanding of racial identities is changing

http://www.soc.iastate.edu/newsletter/oct272009/kusow.html

Chimera   

Ken Farah, president of Farah & sons

130_Kenadid-Brochure-PhotoRESIZED.jpg

Ken Farah has a BS in Civil Engineering from Northeastern University in Boston, MA. Ken has been an engineer for over 14 years and has seen many facets of engineering. He has worked for contractors, design firms as well as city and state agencies. Ken has aided in design work, conducted studies for CSO overflow technology, and has experience in estimating, scheduling, and surveying.

Although Ken has participated in various areas of engineering work, his expertise lies in field engineering. As the Resident Project Representative for numerous projects, Ken has demonstrated great knowledge and skill regarding the application of an engineer’s design. Ken has had great success as a liaison between design engineers and contractors. He is attentive to neighborhood and citizen concerns which make him an excellent representative for City of Indianapolis projects. As President of Farah and sons, Inc., Ken is dedicated to providing quality inspection services.

http://farahandsons.com/staff.html

-KIWI   

MashaAllah! There is some hope for Somalia( Somali-Weyne that is) after all, only if these elites could go back to construct Somalia united Somalia,then the nation would be more credible at a global stage. A fragmented Somalia is beyond doubt the down fall for ALL the Somali people as a whole.

Abdiwahab A. Musse is so gorgeous I could barely lower my gaze! :D

Many thanks for an excellent and worthwhile thread.

If someone could kickstart and offshoot of this for other fields e.g. business?

Chimera   

mfd-shadowing.jpg

Minnesota’s Future Doctors program participants Shukri Guled and Fatuma Omer shadow Abdullah Ahmed, M.D., as he talks with a patient at the University of Minnesota Medical Center - Story

Aaliyyah   

Mashallah. Finally we are focusing on the good side of our people.

We should all work hard to follow their footsteps and achieve as much if not more...

ilaahay yagana ha u siyaadiyo. I am so proud....

Abdiwahab A. Musse is so gorgeous I could barely lower my gaze!

Kiwi lol I agree he is grogeous. What about Dr Hanad Duale hes just as good looking. hahaha not that we should go off topic But I thought I should add to that :D

salaam

Chimera   

naima.jpg

Naima Bashir, who graduated in spring 2006 with a bachelor’s degree in family social science, spent the summer of 2006 with the McNair program, studying the impact of parental involvement in schools within the Somali community. She continued her research last spring through the University-wide Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP), which offers a stipend or expense allowance for students to assist with an existing faculty research project or to carry out their own project under faculty supervision.

A native of Somalia, Bashir says the research experiences educated her about graduate school expectations and application procedures and helped her conquer a fear of public speaking. “Just being exposed to higher education in that way helped me,” she says, adding that she hopes to encourage other immigrants to pursue college and graduate school. Today she is a first-year graduate student at the Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs.

ConnectFall2007.jpg

http://www.cehd.umn.edu/pubs/connect/2007fall/opportunities.html

Chimera   

14787008.jpg

Kadra Ahmed, researcher at the Mayo Clinic.

OsmanW.jpg

Sirad Warfa Osman, is a social scientist and director of the New Americans Community Services in St. Paul.

Thierry.   

Mashallah excellent role models,

good to see my mate and former neighbor in Somalia Naima Bashir leading the way.

We need more UK role models on this platform, I am sure we have more qualified folks than the yanks.

Lets begin with our very own Juxa