Sign in to follow this  
sheherazade

'Nam

Northerner, like I said, u'd rather be right than wrong. People are in love with being right.

Originally posted by ThePoint:

There is little point in traveling to insular and culturally closed societies such Japan or South Korea. Japan the second richest country on earth barely permits any immigrants. I don't know about you but I generally wanna enjoy myself and learn while travelling. And to keep the 'alien' factor as low as possible. From all that I know about certain parts of Asia - this would be tough. [/QB]

Bro, have u been to Japan and Soth Korea? Will u judge entire peoples by their immigration policy?

I had a notion that I would not visit South Korea until I met 3 Koreans(2 were friends and one was a teacher of ethics they met along the way) a couple of years ago. I spent 3 days in the company of the most welcoming, caring, curious people. They wrote down their home addresses for me and argued over whom I would stay with when I would visit South Korea. The teacher taught teenage girls back in Korea and whilst on his travels he updated a website on a nightly basis to inform his students back home of his adventures and shared his pictures. Every night he did this and the girls responded with gusto to this window into the world. How many teachers do u know that would that when away from their students?

He spoke only a little English and told me on the first night that he had spent his Internet time that night writing about somebody he met called Sheh. My immediate reaction was surprise and discomfort. The following day he told me that his girls loved me, that they wanted to know more about me, my culture, my religion, what I looked like, what could I tell him that they could learn? Initially I felt a little weird about being discussed on a Korean website, which I could not even comprehend, by dozens of teenage girls and a very quiet but determined ethics teacher. Eventually I appreciated the power of the openess, the Internet and stopped being bothered by the suspicion that my picture would end up in cyberspace. I told him about Islam and Somalia and everything else he wanted to know. I never asked what he would do with them but he did take pictures of me and would nod and say, 'Beautiful face'. I realised I was being insular and if he could see beauty in an alien face I could see beauty in his sharing me with his girls through words and pictures.

When we parted company, he wrote his details neatly on a piece paper and handed it to me quietly. I unfolded the paper to find his address, numbers and, 'Thanks for you my life is more rich.'

And vice very versa. sniff

I say I've been there.

Kidding, not yet. When I see Indonesia, I will see Papua New Guinea, inshallah.One half of the island that PPG is on is Indonesian and is called Irian Jaya.

RedSea   

Originally posted by Yo-Yo Ma:

Mr Redsea....Do you see everything in terms of faith.

mind telling me what is wrong if that were the case?

Ladies, you can't have thread where everyone agrees, you gotta have someone play the "bad" guy, in which he/she takes the heat, in this case it's me.

N.O.R.F   

Shehe, maybe i'm being arrogant but i dont think there is anything in certain parts of Asia that would take me by surprise. Yes beautiful landscapes etc old temples etc but nothing that would have a wow factor. Paying for such a trip would be very risky indeed.

LooL@ Xalane

Redsea...Nothing wrong with it if dat's how you choose to live. Just don't see what has faith got to do with experiencing new lands and people.The whole point of traveling to far away places is to learn something new, something unfamaliar.

Besides, if you do see things in such terms, wouldn't you wanna share your faith with people who hadn't had the pleasure of being exposed to it. Or do you think you have nothing to offer and say to them?. Limitations only hinder progress ( including the progress of the very faith you so proudly wear as badge of honor).

Sheh....Ever thought of going to Mongolia. Da place hasn't changed much since da days of Genghis Khan. Iam enthralled by their nomadic lifestyle.

Northerner, arrogance or not I get that u want to be right about this.

Yo, I think about going everywhere. Mongolia's time will come too inshallah. :D

RedSea   

Originally posted by Yo-Yo Ma:

Besides, if you do see things in such terms, wouldn't you wanna share your faith with people who hadn't had the pleasure of being exposed to it. Or do you think you have nothing to offer and say to them?. Limitations only hinder progress ( including the progress of the very faith you so proudly wear as badge of honor).

Don't make such assumptions buddy, if the reason that the sister went to Vietname was to spread her faith, then I would absulately be for it, however I am not saying that she shouldn't have gone to Vietnam or outside of her current residence but rather I am saying she should have thought about spending that money in something useful in her home country.

As Northerner said, everyone to their own, so why I should I care of what people want to do.

that is all.

Originally posted by Mr. Red Sea:

I am saying she should have thought about spending that money in something useful in her home country.

or?

Originally posted by Mr. Red Sea:

why I should I care of what people want to do.

One or the other, they're two completely different outlooks.

^^^LoooL

War Redsea, nothing I have said so far was ever directed to Sheh. So, I don't know what assumptions you are referring to. The key word here is "You" ( Second person singular). You made list of countries and places that you would consider visiting. The inspiration of such travels seem to stem from your shared faith with the peoples of these countries.

To make it short, I just don't understand what has religion got to do with enjoying the beauty and culture of another society.

As for the "spreading the faith" part,( This again wasn't about Sheh), as dedicated Muslim who wishes to enlight himself, I thought one would not just spread the faith in far corners of the world, but also seek knowledge so we could better understand the world and human condition. So, why limit yourself to the familiar?

N.O.R.F   

Shehe, today i learned of a proposed trip to Thailand and Singapore in Oct. Its free (great first day at work ey? :D ) but i'm planning to avoid going,,,,,,,,

^ LoL...is you cruising for a smacking? How can you even think of saying nay to Thailand and Singapore? Don't you want to stock up on state of the art gadgets? You must!

When I see Indonesia, I will see Papua New Guinea, inshallah.

Sheh, if I start saving up now, will you take me along? Your practical travelling experience coupled with my uncanny ability to invite all manner of mini disasters on us would make it a unique and interesting trip at the very least.

Also, I'm an expert map-reader/navigator (went to a military camp in high school) and I have a great sense of direction.

What say you?

RedSea   

Whatever Yo Yo Ma and Sheh. I think all people don't think the same, some like to spend their money and time in little more beneficial way and some simply "I went to this and did this and that". So once again don't mind me and carry on with your chit chat ladies and gents. :rolleyes:

Lool Northerner, u are absolutely determined to be right about this. Mon Dieu. Your loss, I tell you, Thailand is lovely and a good first destination for a first-time Far East visitor. At the very least head south where the Muslims will treat you like a king and the islands are stunning. Tell them I said Sawatika. smile.gif

Val, I don't have a trip planned- I do just pick up and go, lol. I haven't had a disaster alhamdullilah, just some setbacks, like a bus leaving me in the no-man's land between two countries. LooooL. I'll only travel with u if u promise you're not precious about where u sleep or how long u spend on a bus; my record so far -24 hours.

Red Sea, we don't mind u and ur sanctimonious contribution cause we know u're as guilty as we are of spending money on selfish causes. It is obvious u care what I do with my hard-earned money, no need to pretend otherwise and still feel u can have an opinion on what I should not do with it.

BTW, my home country has more money than she knows what to do with. She might hand a little over to yours if I ask nicely. There are droves of people heading to Somalia this summer are u telling them not to go and instead wire the travel money over so the people in Somalia use it for a good cause or are u saying, 'Bon Voyage'?

RedSea   

what? lol. sheh you are funny one indeed. Well, maybe pass over some that green burning down through your pockets. :D