Sign in to follow this  
sheherazade

'Nam

My friends need new bosses. One had a friend stay at work last night even though she didn't have any work to do. Each time she reminded him he said he had nothing for her but she had to stick around in case he did.

POWER TRIP OR WHAT?

I envy me, girl. :D And thank you.

^ Ha. Power trip indeed. Some managers are twats. I think I lucked out with my boss. [Ahem...].

It's been a year and half and I'm still waiting for the other boot to drop.

My sympathies go out to your friend.

RedSea   

I am not really jelous in anything here, but just bit suprised that someone, especially a Somali would want to go to Vietnam out of all places. If I were you sister, I would go to Hargeysa, Burco, Bosaaso, Galkacayo. You know that place that we call home.

^ Although it would be nice to visit the homeland for obvious reasons. I would say the joy of travel is the ability to experience the the unfamiliar. What fun is it to visit places you already know?

Sheh nice pics. Can you imagine my highschool offered school camps to Vietnam. But alas I changed schools before I could do so. :(

N.O.R.F   

^^Given the opportunity, one should travel and see the world, experience other cultures etc. The far east (Malaysia) is my list of to dos.

ElPunto   

^Malaysia and Indonesia interest me and China too. Maybe Vietnam with Sheh's tales now too. But the rest don't at all. The cultures are too closed - can u imagine asking for directions in Japan?

N.O.R.F   

^^You are right, the whole of Asia is not worth it apart from the countries you mentioned plus Maybe Pakistan/Kashmir.

Its easier for some to just get up and leave :rolleyes:

Thierry.   

I totally agree with you in that Northerner you only realise how small the place you live is (London) when you get out and see what the world is all about.

I used to believe the world revolved around London until I got out.

although I am a bit sceptic about the cuisines of unknown cultures (someone tricked me to eat a horse ones).

RedSea   

Malaysia, Indonesia, Pakistan, Kashmir, all these places I can understand because we have some important thing in common, religion, but Vietname? Probably, you have seen those old Vietnam war movies, where Rambo (Sylvester Stalone) lights the day light out of the those Vietkongs, I wonder if that is offensive term, vietkongs?

Anyways good trip, carry on.

N.O.R.F   

I dont know about Vietnam, but each to his/her own.

Thierry, welcome back saxib and Congrats!

Recently had the chance of going to Jerusalem but didnt work out as couldnt take the family with me but thats another one for the future.

Originally posted by Mr. Red Sea:

Malaysia, Indonesia, Pakistan, Kashmir, all these places I can understand because we have some important thing in common, religion, but Vietname? Probably, you have seen those old Vietnam war movies, where Rambo (Sylvester Stalone) lights the day light out of the those Vietkongs, I wonder if that is offensive term, vietkongs?

Originally posted by Northerner:

^^You are right, the whole of Asia is not worth it apart from the countries you mentioned plus Maybe Pakistan/Kashmir.

People like to identify with something so that they can be right about it. They will like what is familiar to them(because it is similar to who or what they are and since they like themselves they will like what they see and they can then celebrate being right about being right all along).

It's dizzying and insular.

Travelling just to be right is just wrong. 'The whole of Asia is not worth it apart..'. Now that is one hell of a sweeping statement unless u have been to the whole of Asia and deemed it unworthy except for some parts, don't u think?

N.O.R.F   

Travelling just to be right is just wrong. 'The whole of Asia is not worth it apart..'. Now that is one hell of a sweeping statement unless u have been to the whole of Asia and deemed it unworthy except for some parts, don't u think?

Many places in Asia just dont interest me, maybe i would be surprised if i did visit them but i dont think so. So i'm right before i've even boarded the plane ;) Asia meaning far east of course.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by sheherazade:

quote:Originally posted by Mr. Red Sea:

Originally posted by Northerner:

People like to identify with something so that they can be right about it. They will like what is familiar to them(because it is similar to who or what they are and since they like themselves they will like what they see and they can then celebrate being right about being right all along).

It's dizzying and insular.

There is little point in traveling to insular and culturally closed societies such Japan or South Korea. Japan the second richest country on earth barely permits any immigrants. I don't know about you but I generally wanna enjoy myself and learn while travelling. And to keep the 'alien' factor as low as possible. From all that I know about certain parts of Asia - this would be tough.