Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Mullah

Difference between Somalian and Somali

This is my take on it, when they say Somalian they mean someone or something from the country known as Somalia [where all the fighting takes place] as well as Puntland. But when they say Somali they mean the ethnicity so the they might mean Somalis from O.g.a.d.en. or from Somaliland or from Djibouti or from Kenya.

but Somalilanders often call themselvse Somalilanders and not "Somalis". Its like Arabian is for people in the Arabian Peninsula and Arab is for the Arabs outside of.

Faheema.   

^ It’s the opposite, the term "Somalian" limits us to just the territory of Somalia. If you call Somalis “Somalians”, you’re excluding all those who live in Djibouti and parts of Kenya and Ethiopia.

nuune   

^^ Faheema, the term Somalian ayaanba jirinba totally, waana wax war baahinta reer galbeedka ay soo mareegeen sagaashameeyaadkii horaantiisa.

Waxaan sal iyo raad laheen maba laga doodi karo!

the following is from the dictionary:

"adjective:

1. of or relating to the African republic of Somalia or its people or their language and culture; "Somali coffee is excellent" ". BUT STILL USES 'somali' IN THE EXAMPLE THEY'VE GIVEN.

I agree with Faheema. the adjective Somalian is restrictive. Somali people should be refered to as Somalis, not Somalians. It doesn't even sound right.

Somalian is an umbrella term to include all ethnicities(Reer hamar, somali's etc) living or were living in the somali republic. Somali on the other hand is restricted to ethnic somali's. That's the way I understood it.

AYOUB   

al-Hashimi

I see where you're coming from. It makes sense to call Nur Adde "Somalian prime minister" not "Somali prime minister". Afterall, he is not the prime minister for Somalis who do not belong to Somalia.

Cara.   

LOL. You guys are full of it.

It's not that big a deal. Of all the things oo lugu jiriricoodo, this just ain't it.

Generally, it's preferable to refer to people by whatever term they use, and so "Somali" makes more sense, but get off your high camels. The French don't get offended when Somalis say Faransiis instead of Français. Or maybe they do, but then they would be crazy, just like you lot icon_razz.gif

I can understand why the Inuit prefer not to be called Eskimos, but this is hardly that egregious.

cheerleaders and their bugging minds!! wat crack heads! in this heye planet...there is only one somali nation...they might be divided in your foggy head, but its only one nation called SOMALIA consisting of 5 regions.

long live SOMALIA.

Nephissa   

Originally posted by al-Hashimi:

This is my take on it, when they say Somalian they mean someone or something from the country known as Somalia [where all the fighting takes place] as well as Puntland. But when they say Somali they mean the ethnicity so the they might mean Somalis from O.g.a.d.en. or from Somaliland or from Djibouti or from Kenya.

War muxuu leeyahay? The Puntlanders are not ethnically Somali? gaxgaxgax.

Al Hashimi, dude, you're so funny Walahi. Tell me laakin, are you Somalian or Somali, horta? :D

RedSea   

^He is from O.g.a.d.e.n.i.a, so he is somali! lool

akh who wants to be somalian @ these times. Those guys are so bad.