Sign in to follow this  
stpaulchick

Major Rapper/Muslim?

I do agree with u Northerner that they are very educated rappers. They don't talk about the same things as other rappers. So far what people have been saying is that it's wrong and should not be listened to, and some say do whatever they like and don't worry about what they say. Aight i'll take those both as the answers. I had another question that is somewhat related to that. What if a singer that u really enjoy his/her music is degrading Islam? I had this conversation with a friend and I think it's just wrong. As an example I had the song from 50 Cent to back me up. I really like him as a rapper, but I just heard a song he did in his 1st CD and his 2nd one. It's called Ghetto Quran..Pt.1 and the original version. So should a I just stop listening to him?

:confused:

~ That first verse is just a dose of the shit that I'm on/Consider this the first chapter in the ghetto's Quran/I know a lot of niggas that get dough like Remmy and Joe/And Prince and Rightous from Hillside with the mole on his nose---Ghetto's Quran Pt.1.

i dont think that verse degrades islam, i think he just meant like a holy book, any holy book. he coulda used ghetto bible but prolly chosed quran cause it sounds better.

about the educated uneducated comment i think its a lil unfair cause most rappers just wanna sell to an audience, a young, frivolous and self indulgent audience. it doesnt necessarily mean their ****** , in fact i think thats a lil buisness savy, except they do this at the expense of their own communities, which is selfish, not ****** . young kids ll sell dope just to rock a nice chain (that will no doubt be responsible for the slaughter of an entire village in congo). yr right, being a "muslim" is seen as a trend (ususally when the economy is down and activism takes the front page). its cool to be about something (treach from naught by nature, q-tip,dead prez, etc) and you gain a loyal fan base because of it. but sometimes their are rappers who are muslim because they were raised that way, or because they found something honest in that faith. whether they do/ dont practice every doctrine their faith precribes is where i personnally wash my hands... its none of my buisness.

Oh I understand that it doesn't degrade Islam but he didn't have to use the Quran (even if he needs it to ryhme). Not only that song is Islam misinterpreated but there are other songs that do the same thing.

boycott   

[NAS]

... "Don't grab Boo"

They started chattin, was only bout a minute, flat when

they jumped in the back of the Jeep laughin

We followed them pollyin, he thought the hoes were Somalian

Probably wanted to hit the Holiday Inn

I grabbed the phone and called the Mobb and them

We layed low about a hour or so, these *****es movin too slow...

Actually Nas isn't muslim but would you guys hear his songs with the same passion like b4?

OMG...And I actually though he was such a talented rapper. :mad: And having to grow up in the same neighborhood. OMG I just can't believe he rapped about that. :mad: Let me just say without cursing, that I'm not one of his fans anymore. :mad: OMG I still can't believe it.As u can see I'm really pissed off.!!! :mad: :mad:

Talib is a 5%’er , Freeway is a Sunni Muslim so is Beanie Sigel – and even though they act crazy, unholy in music video’s they’ve got their own sins just like many other Muslims. Beanie even says in a lyric ‘Allah forgive me for my actions, cuz I spit gangsta, think Muslim and Kafir’

^^ Adiga maxa maanta threads kaan 100 yrs old-ka ah ku daba dhigay :rolleyes:

Well let’s see do you think the topic is out of date? Recently, the state of SOL-thread titles has been a bit repetitive, I’m just trying to rock ol’school, getting some throwback posts back in here. :D

Baluug   

Most of these rappers talk about Islam and thank Allah SWT in the liners in their CD's,such as Busta Rhymes,Cappadonna,and so on,but I'm not really sure if they truly are Muslim or just doing it to look cool or continue a trend.

It could be a trend, the new branding of underground and conscious hip hop is to be pro-Islam, you know to rebel against the man[/] and the establishment, since the US is currently at war against Islamic nations ever since 9/11. Many of these rappers often incorporate their struggles and where they came from and what not in their music, its what sells their records in the first place, it also legitimizes their political struggle when they integrate Islamic references in their lyrics, but then again they could be 5%er’s who only know how to murmur couple of sayings ----

Assalamu Alaykum everyone! Before I reply concerning this post I want to send my salutations to the wonderful members of SOL. Yeah as you can see I am a newbie--fresh off the alien plasma boat! I am looking forward to a delightful membership here. God Willing :D

As for 'Muslim Rappers', Allah (swt) knows their intentions. To be honest ever since I heard Mos Def was Muslim I had great respect for him. Seeing that his videos or lyrics did not contain obscene material compared to other rappers, I was pretty much convinced until he did his little duo with Alicia Keys. Thats when I began questioning his faith. Is he Muslim? Are people labeling him as a Muslim? Is this a rumor someone help create? Questions of that sort. At the end you ask yourself, Who are you to judge someones faith? The moral here is Allahu Alam only the almighty knows their intention. Let it be.

Have y'all heard of Five Percent or Five Percenters or "Nation of Gods and Earths?"

shyhem   

Originally posted by Medulla Oblongata:

Have y'all heard of Five Percent or Five Percenters or "Nation of Gods and Earths?"

No i have left rap for the wangstaz and hiphop for the culturely confused folks.

WElcome to this God forsaken place and for heaven sake stop been naive.

The thing is while many of us can say this person does this or that and can therefore be a Muslim, not a good Muslim. Due to our limited knowledge of human nature and what goes on inside everyone head and heart. We really cannot comment or judge people; As worship consists of many different aspects; There is the worship of the heart (which only your aware of), worship of the tongue/lips (dua, praise, dacwah) and worship of the body/ physical (things that can be seen, hijab, abstaining from food/fasting and the motion of praying which both cross over with the other two). It is possible that a person can be lacking anyone of those forms of worship, in this case these rappers may have the worship of the heart and be missing the other forms of worship. The main problem with this is that people always say “I have a good heart†you will not hear people saying “oh I have a bad heartâ€

We all know that there are different stages of being a Muslim; firstly the number of people who understand the shadah, its obligations and sincerely believe it and therefore Muslims are a minority among the so called Muslims (ISLAM); within that minority are Mumin’s (IMAN) and few of those such as the prophets, saxabah and righteous scholars reach the level of IXSAN (worshiping Allah as if you can see him, for if you can’t see him, he can see you).

We also know that as the Prophet (PBUH) said that a Muslim is not a Mumin (believer) while committing major sins i.e., stealing, fornication, and alcohol; which shows that a person can still be a Muslim and be under the influence of the shyidan and commit these sins. it is therefore understandable that these rappers/singers, are Muslim’s, however due to lack of time spent with good people and people of knowledge, the IMAN is decreasing and they will act in ways that a true believer will never act in; I’m sure that is a shik spends the amount of time a rapper spends in studio’s, clubs and concerts, their IMAN will decrease let alone a normal person, whether they were raised as sunni’s or not, as we are also vulnerable to the influence of shydian, the smart Muslims try to limit opportunities and opening a doors, which give the shyidan an open door to get to you.

Are they still Muslims: yes we cannot take them out of Islam, but it is probably best not to see them as role models and instead make dua for them and other Muslims, for Allah to guide them;

Peace out;

P.S. 7 I tried random use of full-stops and caps.

:D