Sign in to follow this  
stpaulchick

Major Rapper/Muslim?

I think freeway and Mosdef are both sunni muslims. Personally, I like Mosdef, especially his first CD...He usually talks about issues in the african-american community..I don't think it did that much harm..

However, I hate this cat named freeway. I never liked his style to begin with and the fact that he raps about useless stuff doesn't help either.

In any case, It doesn't matter whether they are muslims or not ..because to be honest with you, some of us claim to be muslims but don't act it. May God help them find their way ...

"My ummi said shine your light on the world...shine your light for the world to see...my abi said shine your light......." Mosdef

Originally posted by MIZZ-UNIQUE:

waaaaaaaaw most def is a muslim
smile.gif
....I had a gut feeling talib kweli is a muslim and did y'll listen to his song "get by" ..but i gues he is not one ! :eek:

Talib Kweli even proformed at the Essence Award and mos dep got up and had to give him a hug and he kept singing with him while he was listening b4 he got him Award.....

Khayr   

Salaamz,

How did this topic suddenly change to

'I have more reason to like Mos def and Talib and hiphop music b/c its includes some wicked muslim rappers'

St. Paulchick ased this:

I was just wondering if it's okay to claim that ur Muslim and still sing about sex, money and fortune?

So please don't go off on a tangent (in another direction)-stay on point!

Fi Amanallah

So is it okay to rap about that stuff and still claim Islam? I knew that Mos Def was Muslim. I was sure that Talbi was Muslim. I guess I was wrong. Flying_Still here's a website about Freeway..

http://www.rocafella.com/freeway.htm

Sorry Opinionated I have to disagree. I think that Freeway is a good rapper, but fo shoo he ain't better than Mos Def. All I know is that Freeway is a born Sunni Muslim. There's a really good song called "Joy" it features Mos Def and Talib. I just saw that they actually sing together in an album called "Black Star". But I still don't know whether Talib is Muslim or not. If u check out the website Somealien gives us u can see at the bottom of every page the Palestine flag appears.

"This once in a lifetime like a Halley's comet/ Yo, we bring it to Medina like the Prophet Mohammed/ Peace be upon he, and, we MCs" -Fortified Live (Mos Def) smile.gif

DA_BEAST   

i have heard Clown talking about this dude and how he is respected underworld hip hop but i thought he was up to his usual jokes.

mosdef i knew he was a muslim but this dude is new to me.

anyway i wish him all the best at the same time i hope he represents Islam to the fullest.

these rappers arent waddads, or teachers, theyre reg. folk. i dont get what kind of satisfaction you guys get in wagging yr finger in disapprovement at people but i dont think its right. if you dont like what theyre doing than dont buy their albums, easy as that. what are they supposed to do, renounce theyre faith cause the "experts" disapprove? or give up their passion which is music? i dont get it. if you think rappers are a bad influence in black youth today than say so,id prolly agree, but dont nit pick about whichever book theyre (not) staying true to.

N.O.R.F   

If a rapper claims to be muslim but is not giving out the right message and is instead gun tottin, blingin wit the bootylicious crowd etc etc, then respect for him as a muslim will not be very high.

Its probably better 4 them if they give the music up, this Freeway rapper/gangsta/blady blah aint the 1st or the last of the so called muslim rappers who do nothing but idolise the money instead of full commitment to allah. And for those of u who condone this, it aint healthy!!!!

Somealien nobody was pointing any fingers and no one was disapproving of what they do :mad: . Really I don't care about what they do with their lives. Northerern if u listen to Mos Def's cd's u can see that he doesn't rap like other rappers. smile.gif He's very clean in his songs and he says that he doesn't rap like other's because of the obligations his religion is entilited to. And I respect.

Changed   

cute lil gir..........sis does that mean talib is muslim. :confused: ......am preety sure he said "walk with allah just to get by" in his song to get by .....but me no sure ;)

OG Moti   

Who the hell is most def ? is he a chinese singer, if not i most likely dont know him and dont wana know him, besides, guys being muslim dont make u mumin, lots of people who pretent to be muslims are doing worse than singing, even we got fags who are claiming they are muslims.. so it is not something new.. peace

I understand Somealien u were talking about me. OG_Moti u can try checking out the website Somealien provides. He's really a good singer. I check that website out myself and there's a whole section tilted.."Mos and Islam". Which in he talks about Islam and how he incorporates it in his songs. Mizz_Unique I checked Talib's lyrics and he doesn't say anything about Allah.

N.O.R.F   

one must not read too much into the lyrics of a rapper, 9 times out of 10 its just for the rymes. Mos Def, Talib and the whole Rawkus Records fam are a bunch of educated rappers, they dont come accross as being ignorant like many other rappers.

boycott   

i don't hate the black art that hes promoting, he sounds underground actually i'm proud of it. but not evreybody knows about marketing stragey with record companies. his audience is already targeted, black muslim women but its all good. Knowing that in the black community being muslim is becoming a way of life and the lack of respect for women is obvious ...as someone says in his intreview black men are pimps.

the problem is your religion is something personnal you don't use it to sell out... its something spiritual between him and his god, nothing to yell out