Sign in to follow this  
Rahima

PICS-Mogadishu 2005

Sky   

cadnaan, what side bro. i only see one side. we somali ppl. thats the beautiful part of this place, we all somalis. there aint no sides. well if you count out haddad and his arab BS.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Rahima:

Anyway, this is an issue of technology is it not

This isn't a big deal; just learning how to change the resolutions from the digital camera's manual will suffice. Higher resolutions produce sharper and clearer images. You can also resize higher resolution images without compromising its sharpness or clarity; the opposite isn't possible. Examples of different resolutions:

640x480

800x600

1024x768

1280x1024

Rahima   

Sky,

Anything with Allah’s name on it cannot be hideous ;) -so long as it is not disrespecting.

i escaped just barely with that post.

Lucky you, I too thought you were a dead man :D .

HA,

I’ve always considered working in the field of public health (which is the main reason why I chose the educational pathway that I am now completing, interests would of have had me head towards engineering) but I’m not sure if the UN is the way to go, but who knows maybe one day. If I could get what I want from them without too many strings being attached, then perhaps-but I prefer the many Islamic relief agencies.

I’ve decided that I have to marry a man who will be financially stable (who will not require my assistance at all) so that inshallah I can work for free. With Somalis once you are getting paid for your efforts they somehow tarnish your work and hence block the full impact of positives.

Haddad-jazaakum Allahu Khayran walaal. You have taught me something which i did not know smile.gif

Senora   

^^Aspirations^^ ;);)

My mother almost cried when we first landed in Berbera.

The same with my father. Though, it had more to do with the fact that he was seeing his father for the first time in 24 years!!

Those were beautiful pictures Rahima! I enjoyed it very much! smile.gif

Sky   

haddad:

This isn't a big deal; just learning how to change the resolutions from the digital camera's manual will suffice. Higher resolutions produce sharper and clearer images. You can also resize higher resolution images without compromising its sharpness or clarity; the opposite isn't possible.

you should tell the lady; higher resolution, less memory. so basically she could choose for clearer images, but the amount of images she could take in that situation will be minimal.

rahima:

Anything with Allah’s name on it cannot be hideous

:D:D:D:D .... touché, touché

Haddad   

Originally posted by Rahima:

Haddad-jazaakum Allahu Khayran walaal.

You're welcome.

Originally posted by Sky:

you should tell the lady; higher resolution, less memory.

Not necessarily, not by much or there are ways around. For example:

This 480x360 picture by Rahima weighs 57.54 KB, while this 640x480 picture weighs 75.62 KB. Besides, digital camera sticks (128, 256, 512MB) doesn't cost much, or the pictures can be stored in a single CD. I know there are some limitations while one is in Somalia, but my point is the pictures could be better.

OLOL   

Thanks Rahima - I know every corner and alley ( Luuq and many not laamis ) of the city!!

My family all went back to Xamar and live close to that Daameey Hotel you mentioned near Geedka Jaceeylka area. Our old home is one of those Tredici per Tredici boos and my father was on one occasion tempted to sell it for $20K but because of our opposition and objection, he changed his mind. My mother owns four homes in Huriwaa near Hotel Gurguurte and the Cinema; all venti X venti. She never left Xamar except for short two Hajj pilgrimages. She is a tough patriotic cookie who shuns living the exile and refugee life. I am planning to help her rebuild and improve these houses. We have a large extended family and they are all planning to go back and live there.

My youngest sister was born in Banaadir Hospital( I was born in Martini ) and grew up in Makkah-Al-Mukarammah is Xaafid-Al-Quran. She teaches Tajweed and Arabic in School Osman Ghedi Raghe in Tokyo Village. My old neighborhood friends own and run Radio Shabelle. A friend of mine who is farm engineer ( from an Indian University and who once, in 1988, went to Australia for one year seminar on Solar Energy) still lives in Xamar Bille area and farms in Qoryooleey and Kunturwaareey. He grows sesame, maize and vegetables. He emails me on daily basis and he sends me some high quality scanned medical prescriptions that I don’t even know how he did. Jabril Abdulle, one of my old hommies, runs an NGO( war torn societies ) that promotes peace and dialogue. He went back after graduating from Canadian University. The manager, Teetano-Yare who runs Coca-Cola is also an old hommie who used to live in Sweden. He employs more than 500 people. These are my heroes. They decided to do something for their communities. People in Xamar are tired of and fed up with violence, tribalism and all its negativity. Now more than ever, every Somali, regardless of clan affliation, can go, live and work in Xamar.

Siad Barre's daughter Fatima Mohammed Siyaad ( who recently passed away - may Allah bless and forgive her soul)lived there.

It is us, the people in the Diaspora, who are out of touch with realities in Somalia and who are still caught in the clan animosity.

I hope that we all go back to Somalia with degrees, knowledge, skills and above all with a vision different than those of our elders. that is our calling people and we should step to the challange and we must stop supporting the ruthless warlords and the opportunistic clansmen.

Sister Rahima, one thing that you forget to mention is the consumption of Qat and its trade. There are more than 18 daily flights from Nairobi and other Kenyan cities importing Qat.

They import Qat from Ethiopia and Yemen.

It is huge business and it is estimated Somalis spend more than $200 thousand on daily basis chewing these drug leaves.

In contrast to this, Banaadir Hospital was re-opened by a group of conscientious women activists with $20 thousand dollars.!!

Imagine if Somalis quit chewing Qat, what would that capital money would have done? They could have used it to set up waste collection and sewer management systems, open more clinics, orphanages; they could have rehabilitated some old schools, repatriate refugees to their farms and villages, dig wells, buy fishing boats, farm tractors and so on.

Another deadly and destructive import to the country is small arms from Ethiopia.

You all heard about the toxic dumping on our seas and shores.

People in Xamar, Merka and other cities close to the shore are all suffering a new disease called Kuduudiyoow. it is some kind of fever. AIDS is also spreading.

Thanks again for taking these photos. they were inspirational to some and i can see they have changed some misconceptions.

I will follow your example when I go back, Inshallah. this time i am planning to travel to Djibouti, Waqooyi, Bari, Mudugh, Galgaduud, Hiiraan, Shebeele and Jubba. I will get one of those expesinve digital cameras and camcorders and take photos and films to share, Hopefully, we will have functioning government and hopefully, the warlords will come to their senses and stop the fruitless bickerings and hostilities.

we must all applaud Sis Rahima for her work!!

Thanks again!!! or should I say, Laa shukr Calaa Waajib!! you did a great job!

PS: Rahima, common, don't discriminate the economically and finnancially struggling brother - Ina- laah yarzaq Man Yashaa Bigheri Xisaab!!

Rahima   

^Yeah, amazing ay! I mean why couldn’t they have a Cadbury factory ;) .

Supuu,

They say you have to aim high to get somewhere smile.gif . Aim for 95 and you’ll most probably get about 85. Aim for 85 and you’ll probably only get 75.

As you can see I adopt that strategy. I aim high, might not get it, but close enough is good enough.

Xoogasde,

Yeah, hopefully the views of many will take a turn for the positive.

OLOL,

You are more than welcome brother and trust me you will enjoy yourself smile.gif .

Qaad is a major problem, but it is a Somali problem and not exclusive to Xamar (it is for that reason that I did not mention that as a problem). I only mentioned those exclusive to the city.

By OLOL:

Imagine if Somalis quit chewing Qat, what would that capital money would have done? They could have used it to set up waste collection and sewer management systems, open more clinics, orphanages; they could have rehabilitated some old schools, repatriate refugees to their farms and villages, dig wells, buy fishing boats, farm tractors and so on.

Or imagine if they grew it themselves (growing it is very capital-intensive and it takes years before it can be harvested, apparently), and exported it abroad? They would be swimming in revenue.

Is qaad grown in any part of Somalia/Somaliland horta?