Sign in to follow this  
Nomen nescio

I NEED HELP...

I have a 27 year old cousin who is going thru what i think to be a major psychological problem, my cousin has Masters in Electrical Engineering (mashalaah), he received his degree at the very young age of 25, I am the only relative he has in America, his parents and siblings live in Qatar (where he was born and raised). My cousin was living the american dream until 4 months ago, he had a $70 job, a nice apt, a nice car, and a social life that made everyone envy him... it seemed like he had everything he wanted until he started having these obsessive thoughts of people plotting against him, the poor thing thinks everone he knows is talking about him or think he is insane, he calls me and talks to me for hours about Hebel and heblow talking shyt and conniving on him...... in the begineing i thought these thoughts were just bad habits but i recently found out that he might be suffering from OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE DISORDER, an illness that can be easily treated by taking some pills.

I talked to him about seeing a psychiatrist and have himself checked out, he got very mad and yelled at me for harboring the idea of him being insane, i tried to convince him that there is no one targeting or plotting against him and the obsessive thoughts he is having are caused by chemical imbalances in his brain thats makes him have such thoughts..

He finnaly gave in, but one hour later he rejected the whole thing and insisted that there is nothin wrong with him mentally or physically and he will not see a psychiatrist..

His dad, mom and siblings are going crazy, and distressfully watch his life deteriorate... they cant make it here due the visa complications nor I can get him to go there for he views seeking help is an acceptance of insanity.....

Just last week he walked away from his $ 70K job.. when i asked him why he did that.. he said his manager is plotting against him!!! and this is the 3rd job he walks away from for the same reasons..

Can you guys please give me some idea's of what to do to help my cousin ?? :(

Dangerous, sorry to read what has happened to your cousin May Allah restore his health.

What you have written is more of schizophrenia or schizophrenic character than obsessive-compulsive character. I support your advice of having him see a psychiatrist. Tablets or psychotherapy could help.

Sometimes organic diseases can be the causes of the pychosis. Is there any way u could have him see his family doctor a person he trusts before calling in the psychiatrist.

Originally posted by SisSade:

What you have written is more of schizophrenia or schizophrenic character than obsessive-compulsive character. I support your advice of having him see a psychiatrist. Tablets or psychotherapy could help.

Sissade, from what i gather from my research, OCD could become Schizophrenia which is a more severe illness...

Sometimes organic diseases can be the causes of the pychosis. Is there any way u could have him see his family doctor a person he trusts before calling in the psychiatrist.

i would if i could,, but he thinks only the insane are treated by psychiatrists..

Changed   

walaalo look into Bipolar disorder; it sounds like a case of bipolar disorder to me. i feel bad for him and may allah help him past through this difficult time. find someone that lives by him and get him admitted to help take him go to the hospital; he wont go through it alone; so u might need to go there and help him out. if not find a close relative that lives near by him to take care of him..

allah cafiyo

Dangerous sick ppl do visit their family doctor. So he can see his doctor. Before a person is diagnosed of a psychiatric disorder all possible organic diseases have to be ruled out. He may have a mass, an electrolyte or hormonal imbalance, previous head trauma, infections.. causes him to think that way. So his GP/FPhysician need to do a thorough checkup before he thinks of consulting a psychiatrist. Thats how ppl are supposed to be diagnosed. So send him to his nearest public health center.

About OCD and Schizophrenia they all different mental diseases. they have different criteria for diagnosing them (DSM -IV or the WHO-ICD). As I said I still assume your cousin has schizophrenia or part of the Delusion disorders as a person with OCD tends to know what is real than a person with Schizophrenia.

And also because he has Predominately persecutory/jealousy delusions.

I am not aware of the relation of OCD and Schizophrenia but do know there is a relation of Bipolar Disorder (Manic-depression) with schizophrenia.

Politically Inclined

may I ask why you think of bipolar disorder?

As he needs to have episodes of both depression and mania. that is have a swing in moods.

According to what has been written the person has a delusional problem. A change in his train of thoughts. Ppl talking of him ,plotting against him. Wondering does he have hallucinations? And also the idea of talking to his cousin for hours trying to tell him that what is happening is true. Proves that he cannot distinguish reality.

Anyway, his doctor needs to diagnose him. Needs to trust him and agree that he is in need of professional help. May Allah help him. Amin

Im sad that he has a phobia with doctors or hospitals . As you cant force him to go to the hospital without his own accord unless he is a threat to the community. May that not happen. Try to talk to him and convince him that its for the best to see his doctor.

I am curious dangerous does your cousin have any of these traits???Which of these set of qns fit with your cousins case if you dont mind?

A:

1. Hallucinations. These usually involve hearing voices, but can involve all the senses—seeing, tasting, touching, hearing, or smelling something that is not there.

2.Delusions. These are firmly held but false beliefs. Some common experiences include thinking you are the President of the United States, or that you are being persecuted or chased by the CIA or by demons.

3.Disordered (confused) thinking and speech that does not make any sense. Examples include abruptly responding to questions, not being able to respond with enough information, or always giving a one-word reply to questions.

4.Bizarre or disorganized behavior. Usually the behavior involves being overly excited, angry, or unresponsive to other people. It may also include bizarre body movements, such as rocking back and forth or grimacing repeatedly.

5.Self-neglect, such as becoming isolated from other people, wearing dirty clothes, or neglecting living space until it becomes untidy or cluttered.

6.Inappropriate emotions, such as smiling when speaking of sad topics or laughing for no reason.

7.Inability to experience pleasure. This is a common symptom in schizophrenia and includes difficulty enjoying activities that once brought pleasure, such as playing golf or visiting with friends.

8.Lack of emotion. This can lead to few friendships or social contacts. Showing little facial expression, having poor eye contact, and slowed speech are characteristic.

9.Loss of motivation to succeed or accomplish goals. Job or school performance problems are common and usually due to an inability to complete tasks or goals.

10.Problems focusing or paying attention, difficulty processing information, confusion, and fragmented thoughts.

or

B:

1.Social or Occupational Impairment

Either with :

Sad or Depressed Mood

Apathy-(lose of interst)

Irritability or Hostility

Fatigue

Sleeping Problem

Appetite or Eating Problem

Feeling Worthless or Guilty

Suicidal Thoughts or Risk of Harming Self

Poor Concentration or Attention

or:

C:

Social or Occupational Impairment

Either with:

Elated Mood

Irritability or Hostility

Hyperactivity

Slowing or Poverty of Response Inflated Self-Esteem or Grandiosity

Decreased Need for Sleep

Reckless or Impulsive Behavior

Over-Talkative or Racing Speech

Hyperactivity

Poor Concentration or Attention

OR:

C AND B:

or

D:

Have thoughts or images that repeatedly enter your mind, such as:

1. concerns with contamination (dirt, germs, chemicals, radiation) or getting a serious illness such as AIDS?

2.Overconcerned with keeping objects (clothing, groceries, tools) in perfect order or arranged exactly?

3.have mental images of death or other horrible events?

4. have personally unacceptable religious or sexual thoughts?

worry lot about terrible things happening, such as:

5. about fire, burglary, or flooding the house?

6. about accidentally hitting a pedestrian with your car or letting it roll down the hill?

7. worry about spreading an illness (i.e. giving someone AIDS)?

8. worry about losing something valuable?

9. worry about harm coming to a loved one because you weren't careful enough?

worried about acting on an unwanted and senseless urge or impulse, such as:

10. physically harming a loved one, pushing a stranger in front of a bus, steering your car into oncoming traffic; inappropriate sexual contact; or poisoning dinner guests?

driven to perform certain acts over and over again, such as:

11. perform excessive or ritualized washing, cleaning, or grooming rituals?

12. check light switches, water faucets, the stove, door locks, or your car's emergency brake

13. perform counting; arranging; "evening-up" behaviors (making sure socks are at same height)?

14. collect useless objects or inspect the garbage before it is thrown out?

15. repeat routine actions (going in/out of a chair, going through a doorway, re-lighting a cigarette) a certain number of times, or until it feels "just right?"

16. need to touch objects or people?

17. unnecessarily re-read or re-write; re-open envelopes before they are mailed?

18. examine your body for signs of illness?

19. avoid certain colors ("red" means blood), numbers ("l3" is unlucky), or names (those that start with "D" signify death) that are associated with dreaded events or unpleasant thoughts?

20. a need to "confess" or repeatedly ask for reassurance that you said or did something correctly?

AND

On average, how much time is occupied by these thoughts or behaviors each day?

How much distress do they cause you?

How hard is it for you to control them?

How much do they cause you to avoid doing anything, going any place, or being with anyone?

How much do they interfere with school, work or your social or family life?

Hope Im not going overboard just trying to be of help.

Pacifist   

Maybe what he needs is the best medicine in world- The quran may be you can call local sheikhs together and may be read quran on him. Act like you and your whole family and him need quran divert the situation. Suggest that maybe you need quran and ramadan is coming. My best friends younger brother has schizophrenia and they read quran on him. Although he is doing much better, sometimes it comes back. Inshallah walaalo i will make dua for your friend or brother. Inshallah think about it Allah medicine the holy Quran is most beneficial since he doesn't think that he got problems. Brother it gets worse the longer he waits please try your best for him to seek medical attention.

Hope all the best i hope that helped sorry in a hurry.....

Please all SOL members lets make dua for a brother in need.

read this dua or teach him - It is for purposes disease

BISMILLA HIR RAHMA NIR RAHIM - ALLAHOOMMA INNI AS'ALOKA TA'JEELA AAFIYATEKA AV SABRAN ALA BALIYATEKA WA KHOROOJAN MINAD-DOONYA ILA RAHMATEKA

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. My Allah I ask Thee quick recovery or else endurance on Thy trial

from this world towards Thy Mercy.

Sisade.. this is what i noticed about him the last time we met..

1- on list A he has 2,5 and 7

2- on list B he has sleeping and appetitie problems. i dont know if a person can hold the both list signs at the same time

Originally posted by Dangerous:

Sisade.. this is what i noticed about him the last time we met..

1- on list A he has 2,5 and 7

2- on list B he has sleeping and appetitie problems. i dont know if a person can hold the both list signs at the same time

Qns asked are of the major criterias for

List A - schizophrenia

List B -depression

List C -Mania

List C AND B-- Bipolar disorder.

List D- OCD

You have just helped me with the diagnosis.

The List A are criterias to diagnose schizophrenia .

1.Two (or more) of the factors each present for a significant portion of time during a 1-month period( we have 3 +)

2.Anded with the occupational dysfunction.(quited work)

3. the symptoms have been continuous for approx 6months or atleast for 1 single month.(??)

4. organic reasons need to be ruled out and depression.

Then he is diagnosed of Schizophrenia.

And as with any disease medical treatment is possible there are alot of new medication with lesser side effects which can let him have a better life and return to become fully functional in the society again.

As said by fellow Sol members the heart also need to be treated. Faith is important for the body to function as one and the Quran is a healer of Every disease.

Family support is also a must to come to terms, accept the treatment and overcome the stigma in society.

Please take your cousin to a doctor. If he is pyschotic the earlier he is treated the better.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/000084.html

Paragon   

I think your cousin needs a very sensible befriender. I think I can understand why he distrusts all these medical and psychiatrical alternatives. He needs a creative friend - whom he unshakably trusts - who can level with him and then smartly talk him out of the things he believes. Many people go through such transitions and they are usually related to material wealth. He needs someone who can alter his thoughts and provide him a more spiritual (religeous)guidance.

PS: This is what I make of it. Suggestions to my comments are welcome.

I agree with your diagnosis which is not the problem now.. my problem is how can i get him to either travel to see his parents or see a doctor??

J11,, my cousin is extremly paranoid and lives alone in his appt, which is making things worse i believe.

Dangerous,

Cant one of his parents come visit him instead?As it seems he isnt in a condition of travelling. And have the family doctor visit him then.

J11 i agree with you , need someone he trusts.

Originally posted by SisSade:

Dangerous,

Cant one of his parents come visit him instead?As it seems he isnt in a condition of travelling. And have the family doctor visit him then.

J11 i agree with you , need someone he trusts.

he lives in Minneapolis and his parents in Qatar, they cant make here due to visa complications.. :(