Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Historic Photo: Micheal Mariano Sultan Bihi Momeen

Originally posted by Malika:

quote:Originally posted by Taleexi:

Malika: Tell that to Godane and Roobow and do share what you may encounter
smile.gif

Inadeer,maa saas baad ii nacdee? Imagine me telling Godane,that we should be tolerant of other faiths..hmmm
:D
,miyaa mar kale laa ii arkii laha?
LooooooL@Godane...I remember reer Waqooyi guys diinta iyo nabiga ceeda ku laabi jira. Dhibaato waaye ragaas hada markee wadaad noqdeen-from on extreme to the other :D

I heard alot of reer Sool are among the ranks of AS-they along with their cousins on the west are more extreme than the average southerner.

O tempora! O mores! Somalis had an ecumenical mindset back in those days - peacable Qadirites and Salihites. Then came the virulent preachments of Wahhabism. Nowadays, a great many Somalis, of the finger-waving and jalbab-dragging variety, would not countenance the liberal and reformative views of their fellow muslims much less accept the genuine disbelief of their countrymen.

^ smile.gif

I have a relative of mine (muslin tho) whose mum is christian and is from reer Micheal Mariano. Most of this family members reverted back to Islam I was told. I think Edna is from this family ...not sure though!

The Zack   

^Nin waalan.

I wonder why they left their Somali names..Michael, Anthony, Cadaawe.. :D If you are changing your religion at least keep your Somali names, dammit!

^looool, Zack, I think it question of allegiance! like we have arabic/muslim names, but you right there are somali names that can be shared... smile.gif

Taleexi   

Malika: Sarcastically, I was dispatching you to see Godane. Please don't ever go in his sight unless you want to be one of his wives smile.gif yacni aad isu hibaynaysid smile.gif

Che: Waa runtaa oo haddaanu reer waqooyi nahay we are sometimes in between the two extremes, no moderation at the times one may think.

NASSIR   

Zack, Micheal Mariano was a Somali nationalist. This "Somaliland" delegation led by Micheal and Sultan Bihi appealed to the world for the unity of all Somali Territory. They argued the Anglo-Ethiopian treaty of 1890 and 1954 violated the seperate Treaties the British Empire had entered with Somali tribes from 1884-86. To their dismay, they were told that the tribes did not meet the definition of sovereign states unlike Ethiopia even though it was the same treaty the British Colonial office used to legitimize its stay and governance of northern Somalia.

S@mali, I got it from biyokulule. Check the report there.

Sultan Bihi was a giant man (RIP).

We all know that if we were Christians that the Ogadeyn region wouldn't be given to Ethiopia nor the Southern Part to Kenya and we'd get all the backing from the western powers. But we chose Allah over this Dunya Alhamdulillaah.

Rooble Micheal Mariano was a family friend. He was a practicing layer in Mogadishu back in the days. His kids Bashiir and Gulled were my classmates and best friends when we were young in Xamar. They were all Muslim. but there was Rooble's sister who was married to one of my distance relatives, she was a Christian even thou all her kids and husband were Muslim.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by The Zack:

^Nin waalan.

I wonder why they left their Somali names..Michael, Anthony, Cadaawe..
If you are changing your religion at least keep your Somali names, dammit!

Thought Micheal Mariano was brought up as a gaal not one that converted or changed his name.

^^ yes he was raised as a christian. My old man knew him and his family very well and only had positive things to say about him. Apparently he was a gem of a man.