Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Historic Photo: Micheal Mariano Sultan Bihi Momeen

Maykal Maryama gaalnimadiisa boqol Soomaaliyeed oo Muslim sheeganaayo ku dhaamaa, asaga at least gaalnimo waa lagu barbaariyee. Qashintaas ma gaaraan halyeygaas dalkiisa iyo dadkiisa usoo halgamay.

I would take a 'gaal' Soomaali who believes in Soomaalinimo, who ixitiraamaayo walaalkiisa, jecelna dalkiisa iyo dadkiisa than mid Muslim sheeganaayo, qoorta iyo surta kaa gooynaayo in any time he gets a chance, ku dilaayo, ku kufsanaayo, ku dhacaayo, ku bililiqeysanaayo, maalkaaga xalaaleysanaayo. What kind of Muslim is that? Waa iska af waxaas.

Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians - any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve."

[Quraanka Kariimka, Suurada Albaqra, aayada lixdan iyo labaatanaad.]

That is Eebbe speaking to us, what I, a created mortal, to say then?

^ Of course. Some have argued that the above-verse is an endorsement of religious pluralism. Deeds take precedence over dogma. A caring, kind, selfless pagan is preferable to a selfish, nefarious, wicked muslim.

Polanyi   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

Maykal Maryama gaalnimadiisa boqol Soomaaliyeed oo Muslim sheeganaayo ku dhaamaa, asaga at least gaalnimo waa lagu barbaariyee. Qashintaas ma gaaraan halyeygaas dalkiisa iyo dadkiisa usoo halgamay.

I would take a 'gaal' Soomaali who believes in Soomaalinimo, who ixitiraamaayo walaalkiisa, jecelna dalkiisa iyo dadkiisa than mid Muslim sheeganaayo, qoorta iyo surta kaa gooynaayo in any time he gets a chance, ku dilaayo, ku kufsanaayo, ku dhacaayo, ku bililiqeysanaayo, maalkaaga xalaaleysanaayo. What kind of Muslim is that? Waa iska af waxaas.

quote:

Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians - any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve."

[Quraanka Kariimka, Suurada Albaqra,
.]

That is Eebbe speaking to us, what I, a created mortal, to say then?
The Ayat doesn't apply to jews, christians and Sabians after Muhammad. They have to follow and believe in Nabi Muhammad, whereas before they could follow the older prophets.

A thought-experiment is in order. If you were on a bus, would you rather sit next to a marauding thug or a peaceable, law-abiding citizen? Trivially obvious, right? If you discovered that the thug claimed he was muslim, and the peacable citizen was nonmuslim, would that alter your sentiment as to whom you would feel more at ease with? You would have to loose all your moral moorings - to say nothing of survival instincts - to prefer the seat next to the maruading muslim thug.

I'll take a law-abiding gaal over a law-breaking muslim any day. Why wouldn't a scrupulous gaal be more honourable than a scandalous muslim?

Rain   

i think most sane muslims would sit next to the gaal with muslim character than the muslim with un-islamic character.

but here is another thought, what if that scrupulous gaal had an idol with him which he would prostrate to occasionally? which harms you more, speaking from a islamic paradigm?

lol@ gaal with muslim character.

What if the gaal was Maykal Maryama. Perhaps you would describe him as having "muslim character". However, you could equally describe him as manifesting "christian character", unless you are of the conviction that "christian character" is compatible with thuggish behavior while "muslim character" is only compatible with goodness. This would be bigoted.

From a religious perspective, it matters not a whit if the nonmuslim is performing an act of worship. Unless he assaults you with his object of worship, it's harmless. Non-islamic beliefs are not like some airborne vector that you are at risk of contracting if you happen to be in proximity.

Rain   

ofcourse. a gaal with an 'islamic character' might have been a better choice of words.

now your last part, the way i see it, a person who is coming from an islamic paradigm would view actually that being in proximity with an act of a major shirk, such as the one mentioned, would damage ones iman(belief) which in his/her priority is more important than lets say any physical assaults.

^ The implication was that goodness (or morality) is indepedent of religion. There are good muslims and good nonmuslims just like there are bad muslims and bad nonmuslims.

Do you think damage to your iman (how is that measured?) is more serious than getting whacked on the head with a minature-size steel Budhha? Any "damage" that someone's mere act of worship does to your faith can probably be reversed; brain-damage, not so much. And even if such damage to your faith could not be reversed, would you prefer to be brain-damaged instead?

The Zack   

War dadkan ma waalan yahiin.. the biggest and most terrible sin one can commit is SHIRK. This is regardless if you were raised with it or if you converted from Islam to any other crazy religion.

That being said, I have no say on the mentioned man's character as I am not familiar with his whole story.