Sign in to follow this  
Captain Warya

Somali youth: Wasted talent

Ashkiro   

Underdog, you seem to be a man of numbers and since I don’t have any to give, I am afraid there is not a lot that I can add to the topic, than more “I thinks”. Perhaps Toronto is different story and therefore shaped your perspective on the topic, but here in the states, the condition of our youngsters is not promising in the realm of higher academia, not even at the high school stage, as there are high drop out rates. (According to my sources.) Bottom line our children have a lot of potential, that potential should be polished, supported, and strengthened- this is where the parents/community come in. Peace

I always thought university/college were overrated in some ways, it would be nicer if somali boys studied trades becoming electrician, journeymen etc. There is good money in those trades.

underdog   

Here's a question...

If you had a son and he could be either a 1st rate electrician or a 3rd rate doctor, which would you encourage him to pursue?

Originally posted by underdog:

Here's a question...

If you had a son and he could be either a 1st rate electrician or a 3rd rate doctor, which would you encourage him to pursue?

Do you enjoy asking moronic questions? I doubt that's a realistic situation. But either would be good, and it would depend on what the person wants.

Ashkiro   

I would say to my son, he pursue what he loves doing (as permitted by Islam), but I don't see how that has to do with the topic. Guys stay on topic, this is not about jobs/money, but education. Anyway, peace.

Ashkir

You still need to be somewhat educated to become electrician, except the education is more practical and hands on. Better than getting a useless liberal arts degree if you ask me.(no offence to those who have that)

STOIC   

Simply put: Within the establishment circles of Somali families in the West, there should be a legitimate concern of how well our Somali kids are doing with their schooling , but I think first of all everything that one does depends on how much one is motivated. It is the parents/guardians responsibility to lay the ground work for these kids. So are the kid’s responsibilities to nail the toast. Other likely reasons to succeed then moves into the picture, like how much opportunity they have compared to their family members in Somalia. Whatever judgments and reasons why our kids are failing, I think its all about MOTIVATION and of course God’s blessings!

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^ Islaantaa badawnimadaan ku nacay. Xita thank you ma qorayso. :mad:

Thank you for what exactly? Ani afIngiriis iigu fasir maaku dhahay? Sheeko, waa sugee lee taankiyuudaas... :D

Ps, Markaan Shabaab arkay baanban iska argagaxay...

Originally posted by underdog:

“Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.”

:D @ UD ... I concur sxb.

Statisticians have mastered all the weasel words known in mathematics .. they have the ability to twist numbers to make them fit any conclusion.

here are a few one liners regarding them:

* Statistics means never having to say you're certain.

* Statistics is the art of never having to say you're wrong.

* Variance is what any two statisticians are at.

* Smoking is a leading cause of statistics.

* 3 out of 4 Americans make up 75% of the population.

* Death is 99 per cent fatal to laboratory rats.

* A statistician is a person who draws a mathematically precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.

* A statistician can have his head in an oven and his feet in ice, and he will say that on the average he feels fine.

-------------------------------------

Nephissa   

The smartest man I ever met didn't finish the first grade. Yes, that's right, he was my granfather [AUN].

Going to college doesn't in any way guarantee making alot more money. Truck drivers/cabbies & butchers earn more than some "educated" folks.

Hadday school diidan koleey way shaqaysan uun! Nin tuur leh suu u seexdo asagaa yaqaan, la yiri.

Blessed   

^Or live off caydh which is the case in the UK. The government needs to stop spoon feeding able young men and women, markaasay dantooda ka fakirayaan.

Teeda kale, not everyone goes to university for the money they might earn. A degree is a minimum requirement for most professions, especially those that make essential contributions to society, such as medicine, education, law, engineers, etc, etc. Some are paid a pittance but they get the reward in the difference they make to peoples lives. What's more, there's a great shortage of professionals in our community and we have a country that needs rebuilding... These kids have all the opportunity presented to them, they even get paid to go onto further education in the UK. It's so bloody annoying that they let laziness get in the way, when their cousins are dying (literally) for that opportunity.

Underdog,

You've been rubbishing education for years n this board, what's the story there?

underdog   

Originally posted by Blessed*:

Underdog,

You've been rubbishing education for years n this board, what's the story there?

It's not education I'm rubbishing...its what I see as a skewed expectation of education I've heard tossed around in here.

I've always maintained education is a tool. A very useful tool but it means nothing without proper application.

You could be an Astro physicist but still be a useless bum. So regardless of ability and preparation, potential means you're not doing anything right now.

My reservations with parts of this topic is not about recognizing that some of the youth are getting left behind, but its the degree to which some people seem to think its an epidemic.

Firstly, I think its unrealistic to think every Somali (educated or otherwise) will meet your definition of success. It doesn't work like that. Even though we know the potential is there and a majority of SOL members are evidence of that.

As a few people have mentioned before, everyone will eventually have to self determine their path.