Sign in to follow this  
Captain Warya

Somali youth: Wasted talent

http://www.hiiraan.com/op2/2008/aug/wasted_talent_ the_absence_of_somali_students_from_post_graduate_ education.aspx

There is a huge somali community in the western world and in asia. Imagine of the majority of the somali youth in the developed countries focus on higher education. Most of the kids I see that finish high school don't go to univeristy or college. There is a minority of students that opt for post secondary. There is also an alarming amount of somali youth invloved in gangs.

Ibtisam   

Captain Warya, you moan too much and complain even more. You complain about those back home, you insult their homes and taste, you complain about the ones in the west. Gosh all that negativity. :rolleyes: Naga qaaleh.

NGONGE   

نحن الشباب لنا الغد *** ومجده المخلد

نحن الشباب لنا الغد *** ومجده المخلد

نحن الشباب

شعارنا على الزمن *** عاش الوطن عاش الوطن

علمتنا كيف الشمم *** وكيف يرفع العلم

نحن الشباب

السفح و الجداول *** و الحقل و السنابل

وما بنى الأوائل *** نحن لـه معاقل

الدين في قلوبنا ** * والنـور في عيوننا

و الحق في يميننا ** * والغار في جبيننا

نحن الشباب

لنا العراق و الشام *** ومصـر و البيت الحـرام

نمشي على الموت الزؤام*** إلى الأمام إلى الأمـام

نبني و لا نتكل *** نفنى و لا ننخذل

لنا اليد و العمل*** لنا الغد و الأمل

نحن الشبـاب

I must disagree here, i think there is an even balance ( @ least in UK ) in the number of youngesters in Uni and in Prision/Marfish/Dole ofice. I beleive we are reasonably OK when compared to other 1st generation migrants.

Am sure we will see a biggger improvements with 2nd generation Somalis but am sure we'd much rather go back home than see 2nd & 3rd generation Somalis

Ibti he posted an article. Get over your anger issues and address the topic. I see nothing negetive about the article but a genuine and valid concern from the author with regards to young Somalis and how serious they take their education.

nuune   

I beleive we are reasonably OK when compared to other 1st generation migrants.

How so!

and dont compare India or Pakistanis to Somalis, they are way ahead of us in every way of life there, their children attend schools and universities in a higher percentage.

Do you have any figures?

Ibtisam   

Serenity: I was not talking about the article or the author, I was talking about the posters threads since he graced us. I don't have anger issues, I just don't see the point of sitting around complaining, it does not change anything. By all means if it makes you feel better knock yourself out. :cool:

Resistance the figures are against us, in the UK, Somali children have the lowest performance rate even in primary school, getting basic levels of 3 or 4 in year 9, when the average is 5/6 in certain areas Tower Hamlets, haringay and most of the South London. If they are doing so badly at such young age, the university entries is going to be low. Sayid Somali can post the link on the current performances. I had a the government link for last year as well, I will look around.

^ the thing with us Somalis is there is no concerete figures that can be relied on. Occording to the Home Office we are all from Xamar ( and pre-1990 from Hargeisa ) but we know the reality is not the case. Occording to the Ceydh office Somalis have the highest number of single mothers but we know is not the case and that there is high unemployment rate in our community but we know that is not the case.

The only firm figure is the number of Somali Youths in prosion today and even that is not reflective since Somali kids get harsher sentences and are convicted more easilly due to lack of prober representation.

Go any Uni campus am sure u will see a significant number of Somali students. One not comapre us Somalis to Pakistanis/Indians etc since they have been here en masse for a considerable period.

Ibtisam   

^^What do you mean that is not the case?? please explain.

Education figures are only inaccurate in one area, which is that they tent to excludes second phase refugees, i.e. Somalis who have other nationalities like those with other African passports or other western citizenships.

Looking around university campus is not an indication of how well we are doing as a community or how many in education, because although it may seem many tot he naked eye, it is not representative of the general Somali population, which in the UK is said to reach 93,000 families.

Fabregas   

Originally posted by *Ibtisam*:

^^What do you mean that is not the case?? please explain.

she means ppl work the system, I think. :D I was born in Muqdisho too . ;)

good discussion.

the general point i am making is that faced with our circumstances and the many disadvantages that comes with being relatively new this country i beleive we have adopted reasonablly well in terms of Education.

Ibti, ironically the only complaining in this thread is coming from you.

As for the 'By all means if it makes you feel better knock yourself out', as NG would say, stuff and nonsense :D

Ibtisam   

Resistance, what if I told you that the first wave of arrivals did better in education and work wise than the new generation who were born in the UK? The new generation just lacks determination and drive, they are babied too much and people make far too many excuses for them. The first generation realized the opportunity they were getting and grabbed it with both hands. The new ones have everything on a platter and still underachieving, attribute this to the difficulties they face is exaggerated.

Abu, even so, we are still on the wrong side of the scale.

NGONGE   

I have to say that the article itself was great. Can't say I've read many that were written so well and actually had a good point to make. Shame the author did not expand on the reasons why he thinks such a problem exists.

ps

The Arabic poem I posted, though it relates to youth, maybe was wasted here. I should have waited for a thread about Al Shabab insteaed. :D

pps

Ibti,

So you agree with the author? Saaxi ma tihid, dumaashi. :D