Sign in to follow this  
AYOUB

A voice for HIV positive Somalis in the UK

Xoogsade   

Originally posted by Bishaaro: How is this possible? Doesn't Qaad make men Impotent? :confused: [/QB]

Bishaaro , There is difference between impotency(the lack of strength) and the need to mate under the influence of Qaad/Jaad. I was told it is common for men to seek a woman when they get high on the stuff. Only afterwards do they feel their impotency. In any case, Qaat-chewing is one of the means through which the AIDS spreads in places like Nairobi and Ethiopia as a whole. You can only imagine the danger somalis back home face when infected somalis go back home after years of staying in neighbouring countries where they acquire the infection.

PS: I googled a poem I once read by Abshir Bacadle talking about the Negatives of Qaat. My point is to illustrate the impotency plus the need Men feel when they chew. Here goes the line from the poem:

"Qalbi qooqan qoora aan wax tarin, qaadow adigaa leh"

to read the complete poem, visit:

http://www.somaliedu.com/Somali%20Education/Suugaan/Qaadow%20adigaa%20leh.htm

NGONGE   

QL pointed out that HIV/AIDS doesnt come about from sex only. I heard a story about a wadhaad and his family who all became infected. It was a mistery for a few years how they could have become infected. Then it was realised that they had a maid/servant back home. This maid/servant cooked for the family each day. She had a tendancy to cut her fingers whilst cutting the various meats/vegs etcs. The family unknowing kept eating her food for years and got HIV/AIDS. It was only at a GP check up that the father was found to have the disease then the whole family were found also to have it. The family were not Somali but this shows that NO ONE is 100% safe.

:D:D

Emperor   

Mohamud also runs an Islamic HIV support group and a group for gay Somalis.

In one line, do these two things go together or this is a bit of joke, Runnig both Islamic and gay group. Subxanallah mase waa Horumar in la isku wado.

Ninkii nool aduunyada geel dhalaayana waas arkaa!

Sky   

this guy is like the first and prolly not last somali ive heard of of being HIV positive and guess what...hes gay. what a surprise!

northerner, that shit could be true. u even get aids, by just touching blood of an infected person. but that was like the funniest story i heard in days. a wadaad family HIV positive. :D:D:D

^ Yes, you can get it from touching infected blood, but only if you have open cuts/wounds on ur hands and the blood gets into ur body/system.

There are so many myths and falsehoods about HIV/AIDS and how one may get infected.

The maid did it? :rolleyes:

That this guy runs a gay group distracts from the real issue of HIV amongst Somalis. BTW, someone else must be doing something for HIV Somalis....

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Northerner:

^^^did i get it wrong??
:D
Or was it her sharing the toothbrush :confused:

not a medical expert
:mad:

This reminded me of the joke about the young boy who walked into a brothel clutching a frog, saaxib.

Those that suffer from a nervous disposition can look away now.

The boy strolled in and demanded that the Madam pairs him with her filthiest, most disease-ridden lady of the night. The madam was shocked and exclaimed ‘ but you’re only a young boy, son’!

The boy took a bundle of crisp dollars out of his pocket, waved it in her face and demanded she summon the harlot. Faced with so much money, the madam could not resist the boy’s offer. She called her sweetest looking girl and asked her to accompany this young gentleman but to be gentle with him.

The next day, the boy returned. He was still clutching the dead frog and was real angry. He accused the madam of cheating him the previous day and demanded to be paired off with her filthiest girl. The madam tried to reason with him by telling him how he’s throwing his whole life away and that if his urge was that strong, she wouldn’t mind pairing him off with one of her best girls. The boy took out an even bigger bundle of money and waved it in her face. He demanded that he be shown the filthiest girl in the establishment and that if he got cheated again, he’s going (with his money) to another establishment. The old madam finally relented and brought out her worst girl. This girl was so disease ridden that she was a mere pale shadow of a woman. The boy was ecstatic! He followed her to an upstairs bedroom and half an hour later, emerged with a beaming smile on his face.

The madam sarcastically asked him if he was happy now that he too was as contaminated as her working girl was. He told her that he indeed was, and started walking towards the door. Just as he was reaching the door, the Madam called him and asked him to do her one final favour.

What do you want? Said the boy!

I want to ask you why did you want a diseased girl, she said.

Oh, that? Said the boy.

I wanted to sleep with this diseased girl, so that when I got back home and got in bed with the nanny, she’ll catch my disease and pass it on to my dad when he sneaks into her bedroom at night. He in turn will pass the disease to mummy later on; and she, that painted jezebel; she will pass it on to the milkman!

Madam’s don’t shock too easy, but this one was astounded by the boy’s story. She superstitiously fanned herself, gulped and then said: but where does this dead frog come into all of this?

The boy, now looking miserable and trying to control his tears said: the S.tupi.d milkman is the one who murdered my frog :mad:

-----------------------------------------------

Heh. This joke was in response to Northerner’s story above. But I can also appreciate how it, unintentionally might add, fits in with the whole theme of this thread. redface.gif

N.O.R.F   

^^yes but my story was genuine, ok i may have been mistaken in thinking that HIV/AIDS can be passed through one's blood going onto food and ppl eating the food (still not convinced otherwise) but its one i have heard on more than one occasion.

as for the boy, hes a dirty little &^*%!

Back to the topic, NGONGE, havnt heard your take on the article yet?

NGONGE   

^^^ An organisation to enlighten people about sexual diseases is always needed.

This is all I could really say in regards to this thread. For I know that if I started to question the article and speculate, I’ll end up blaming David Livingston for abusing the snake that in turn bit a monkey, which was eventually eaten by the pigmy tribe. I don’t want to go there, do you? :D

Curly   

Sorry I'm going completely off the topic!

Ngonge...me and my friend were having a debate about your name, how the hell do you pronounce it. My friend gave up and refers to you as no-Congo now. lol

Getting back to the topic, north I don't think HIV can be transmitted through the consumption of food. I always thought...that unless you have mouth sores or cuts and infected sexual fulids or blood is directly in contact with the blood stream.

Nephissa   

Bishaaro , There is difference between impotency(the lack of strength) and the need to mate under the influence of Qaad/Jaad. I was told it is common for men to seek a woman when they get high on the stuff. Only afterwards do they feel their impotency. In any case, Qaat-chewing is one of the means through which the AIDS spreads in places like Nairobi and Ethiopia as a whole. You can only imagine the danger somalis back home face when infected somalis go back home after years of staying in neighbouring countries where they acquire the infection.

PS: I googled a poem I once read by Abshir Bacadle talking about the Negatives of Qaat. My point is to illustrate the impotency plus the need Men feel when they chew. Here goes the line from the poem:

"Qalbi qooqan qoora aan wax tarin, qaadow adigaa leh"

I never thought I would be on here asking question about male impotence redface.gif Thanks for the illustration.

Lool @ the poem:

Qarbaboosh ilkiyo gowso qodan, qaadow adigaa leh

Af-qashuusha oon cadaygu qaban, qaadow adigaa leh

Af qalala bishimo qolof dhacsada, qaadow adigaa leh

NGONGE   

I thought my joke was x-rated! :rolleyes:

That poem comes across as very blunt (almost bordering on vulgar)!

*whispers* that’s the way I like them.

Sue, it’s N-GONE-GAY (with a soft emphasis on the final part). :D