Sign in to follow this  
AYOUB

A voice for HIV positive Somalis in the UK

dawoco   

Intresting read bro, the guy in question seems to be working towards something positive for those who become infected. Though I am highly suspicious of the article, it seems to "western" with statements like "if my community had proper information about HIV, they would love positive Somalis again" and stories like

When they go for a medical appointment, they are afraid of being seen by another Somali in the waiting room. Many cover their faces. Others, if they see another Somali waiting for the doctor, will go away. Sometimes they’ll try to check with the receptionist if any other Somalis have appointments that day.â€

Is seems highly unlikely for a Somali person to walk out of a GP office just bcos they might b seen.

And then the statement of "Mohamud also runs an Islamic HIV support group and a group for gay Somalis." had me raising my eyebrows. Though I never met a Somali homosexual, I don't think that they would go to a "group counceling" run by a somali. And it makes the whole "positive outreach" story seem a bit of a lark.

Call me a pessimist but I somehow don't buy the whole "I embraced my positive status and want to have everyone else do the same". The whole story seems dodgy and depicts somalis in a bad light. Where did they get their figures regarding the affected from? Why are they so keen to put qaad chewing into the HIV positive equation? And why has the guy who is the "emblem" of "being positive and not ashamed of it" not told us how HE himself got infected with the virus?

There is something fishy about this tale...

Baluug   

I know an easy way to help prevent the spread of HIV...Don't cheat on your wife or husband and stay away from jaad!C'mon we are supposed to be 99% Muslim and some of us are acting worse than kuffars!!Insha Allah,for the most part,we can stop this disease from spreading so much that we will have AIDS numbers just like the rest of Africa.A'udhubillahi minash shaydani rajiim

nuune   

posted by waryaa_liibaanow

I know an easy way to help prevent the spread of HIV... Don't cheat on your wife or husband and stay away from jaad

you were right on the cheating issue, but on jaad issue, I know some people who used to chew jaad as early 70s and 80s and still chew jaad, that is before the disease became known, jaad and Aids has nothing to do with each other.

back to the topic, The article is nonsense, fabricated story, just to discredit Somalis and their culture.

from the article

a Somali woman stood up and came out as positive in front of everyone. When she did this, I can’t tell you how I felt. It was like my heart was singing. It felt like someone had given me the biggest gift in the world

looooooooooooool, nice try, at least whoever made this story failed in this part, they didn't know anything about Somali Woman whatsoever when they just wrote that piece!

N.O.R.F   

Give the guy a break, hes infected and has set out to inform others of the problems we face. It may not sound nice but it is becomming a problem back home and here in the UK. We have had ppl taken to prison who have 'knowingly' infected women with the virus. As soon we have someone who has a 'more' positive outlook on his and his ppls situation we all line up to criticise :rolleyes:

“Typically, men blame women and women blame men. Qat, a leaf with amphetamine-like properties, is strongly related to unprotected sex in the Somali community. Often men will chew Qat all night long and afterwards, they want sex. But if their wives, busy with family and domestic chores, aren’t available, they’ll go out to get extra-marital sex.

Yes, this is a common occurance and not a lie.

I wish him and his organisation all the best in informating those that need it and being an outlet for them.

Pacifist   

I agree with North. Its a occuring problem, We need to support and help these people. Mostly we have to educate them especially people back home.

Humankind will eventually outcaste many stricken with AIDS, and who will help them?

We should let Muslims living with Aids/HIV know that they are not alone and that Islamically rooted responses beyond the knee-jerk prejudice and bigotry. The muslim community should talk about Aids. We must help people to get rid of this social stigma. We need to put aside our own personal judgements and open our eyes and open our hearts.

It was reported that the messenger of Allah( May peace be upon him) observed: who ever believes in Allah and the last day should either utter good words or better keep silence; and whoever believes in Allah and the last day should treat his (her) neighbour with kindness and whoever who believes in Allah and the last day should show hospitality to his/her guest.

What will convey onto you what the difficult path is? Liberating others, providing food on a day of hunger to an orphan or relative or to someone disadvanted and a bad situation. Then you become of those who trully believe, who encourage one other to persevere and encourage each other to become compassionate ( quran 90:12-17)

AYOUB   

Originally posted by dawoco:

Is seems highly unlikely for a Somali person to walk out of a GP office just bcos they might b seen.

I think they're talking about STD departments in hospitals rather than lacal GP's.

There is something fishy about this tale...

I've a close relative who works in the NHS who tells me a lot shocking stories but this seem a bit far fetched. You never know though.

Nephissa   

Typically, men blame women and women blame men. Qat, a leaf with amphetamine-like properties, is strongly related to unprotected sex in the Somali community. Often men will chew Qat all night long and afterwards, they want sex. But if their wives, busy with family and domestic chores, aren’t available, they’ll go out to get extra-marital sex.

How is this possible? Doesn't Qaad make men Impotent? :confused:

Jacpher   

No doubt the guy deserves a break but there's something phony about the story. Most of the infected ones didn't get the disease from Ethiopia or Kenya and most Somalis who are addicted to Khat aren't HIV positive. I'm sure everyone agrees that people generally get the disease via STDs.

It's also deceiving to say HIV/AIDS is white man's problem and it does not affect Muslims. Is he being a naive or a deliberate misleading? If I'm not mistaking there was a Muslim scholar in Saudia who was infected and later died. Many Somali Sheiks nowadays warn youngsters about this problem and advice them to go through testing before they marry. My local sheikh talks openly about this problem when the subject comes up and highlights the importance of testing both couples against HIV/AIDS before they marry.

The only way to avoid this problem is to be a good practicing Muslim that stays away from FAWAAXISHA and not be friends with those who commit or easily fall into Fawaaxisha. Also to be aware and educate about the subject and some prevention guidelines.

I think it’s very important for Somali communities in Somalia or abroad to adapt a culture where awareness and prevention of HIV is welcomed and valued. This is very important step to take. What do you think how many [innocent] Somalis will be infected [knowingly or unknowingly] in the next 10 years. Probably a lot since the number of those [infected] going back home for marriage is growing.

Knowing the kind of culture we come from and the way we pre-judge people, the guy deserves a medal for being able to come out and speak about this horrible disease that many hide and are unable to talk about just because you would have nothing but negative vibes from most brothers and sister who think this doesn’t exist.

A little education can show you that AIDS is not only caused by Sex but also anything to do with needles that not sterilised and shared among many who happen to be into drug. It should also be known that when you happen to be ill and happen to be in a hospital that isn’t sanitised or blood products not checked well, then chances are you could get infected through blood transfusion. You may even get it from a doctor/dentist treating you for your ailments. So let’s not be hasty and first of all learn that there are many people out there who have never even met women or men for sexual favours as most would think.

I believe it’s important to learn what the causes are and ofcouse help out the brothers and sisters who are suffering as this may not be something they ever contemplated of getting. Anyone who suffers should be given the support needed and we should pray that it never happens to us least of all when it happens to someone who is innocent enough not to know where it came from or how it happened.

The brother should be thanked for being open minded and for having the guts to be the example many have coward from.

Pujah   

it takes alot of guts to come out of the luuq eh!

p.s there alot of somalis who are HIV positive in mnpls, mn

N.O.R.F   

Ducaqabe says:

It's also deceiving to say HIV/AIDS is white man's problem and it does not affect Muslims.

Thats exactly what he was saying, it is not only a white problem but is also our problem, we need to stop being ignorent about the whole thing and realise that the risks are far greater (back home even more so with limited medical supplies and treatment resulting in the re-use of needles)than we think.

QL pointed out that HIV/AIDS doesnt come about from sex only. I heard a story about a wadhaad and his family who all became infected. It was a mistery for a few years how they could have become infected. Then it was realised that they had a maid/servant back home. This maid/servant cooked for the family each day. She had a tendancy to cut her fingers whilst cutting the various meats/vegs etcs. The family unknowing kept eating her food for years and got HIV/AIDS. It was only at a GP check up that the father was found to have the disease then the whole family were found also to have it. The family were not Somali but this shows that NO ONE is 100% safe.