Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE

allsportbeckhammonacopunchesair.jpg Real Madrid beat Monaco 4-2 in a pulsating match at the Bernabeu.

gudjohnsenarsenalmobbed.jpg Chalski played well and almost beat us but as always they never take advantage of their chances.

1189065.jpg Who says Henry is the only world class player when you got the likes of Pires.

LANDER   

Gunners aiming for record, and Man U. are the miskiins layed out on the shooting range like helpless victims :D , ironic twist of fate. Man U. will be in the history books for all the wrong reasons off course.

Arsenal move towards equalling winning record

20/03/2004 - 6:30:07 PM

Arsenal 2 Bolton 1

Manchester United may be powerless to interrupt Arsenal’s remorseless march to the title but only Alex Ferguson’s side can now prevent their main rivals creating a slice of history on the way.

However, this was by no means the serene progress towards equalling the all-time top-flight record of 29 games unbeaten since the start of the season that many had expected at home to Bolton.

Arsenal may have moved ominously into a two-goal lead after just 24 minutes with Robert Pires and Dennis Bergkamp sweeping home superb strikes.

Then again, losing a two-goal lead at Bolton in last season’s run-in had ultimately cost Arsenal the title and they came perilously close to suffering the same fate again.

But even though Ivan Campo pulled a goal back on the stroke of half-time, Kevin Davies wasted one free header and this time Arsenal held on as they were denied two late penalty claims of their own.

Arsenal may have had one eye on their Champions League quarter-final against Chelsea as they were guilty of a lack of concentration either side of the interval.

But while Don Revie’s Leeds side of 1973-74 and Kenny Dalglish’s Liverpool team of 1987-89 were undone by Stoke City and Everton respectively in their 30th games, United are Arsenal’s next opponents at Highbury.

And it is hard to imagine the Gunners relaxing on their lead against United as they did against Bolton.

Despite kick-off being delayed, Arsene Wenger’s side were straight into their flow as Thierry Henry struck the bar after just six minutes.

Indeed, despite the conditions and Bolton’s attempts to interrupt Arsenal’s rhythm, it was not long before the home side were predictably ahead.

Edu, who has grown in stature with each game this season, was the midfield fulcrum, playing the ball forward to the evergreen Bergkamp, who laid it off to Pires.

The Frenchman still had considerable work to do, but rose to the challenge by curling a shot inside the far post, leaving Jussi Jaaskelainen with no chance.

Only the timely intervention of Simon Charlton with a headed goal-line clearance then denied Henry and Bolton were clearly rattled.

Under pressure from Henry, Emerson Thome headed Edu’s long ball past his own keeper but was relieved to see the ball roll just past the post for a corner.

Jaaskelainen did manage to deny Ashley Cole from close-range but he was left horribly exposed as Arsenal then doubled their advantage.

Henry was sent haring down the left flank by Pires but his over-hit cross would have left most ordinary strikers struggling to control the ball, let alone get a shot on target.

Bergkamp, however, is no ordinary striker and simply swept the ball into the net with aplomb as he met the cross with a first-time volley.

Arsenal were now toying with Bolton, but they were guilty of relaxing on their lead before the interval.

Indeed, when Jens Lehmann could only half-clear a corner and Bruno N’Gotty’s shot was blocked, Campo was allowed the space in which to swivel and fire his shot into the roof of the net.

The warning was not heeded as Stelios Giannakopoulos then grazed the crossbar with a header on the stroke of half-time.

And with Arsenal still sluggish at the start of the second-half, Bolton could - and, indeed, should – have equalised.

Stelios chipped one effort over the crossbar and then planted a cross on the forehead of Davies, who was standing unmarked just eight yards out.

However, the striker headed just past the post and then saw another effort blocked by Kolo Toure as Arsenal’s defence continued to struggle.

The Gunners remained as dangerous as ever on the break but Henry was foiled by an outstanding save by Jaaskelainen, while Pires and Bergkamp blazed efforts over the bar.

Substitute Fredrik Ljungberg had a clear chance to clinch victory but stumbled as he struggled to reach Bergkamp’s pass as the goal beckoned and was also denied a penalty.

Arsenal’s mood was not improved when Henry’s claims for a spot-kick were also turned down when N’Gotty tackled him from behind just as he took aim inside the area.

However, where they had collapsed at the Reebok Stadium last season, this time they survived, just as they did at home to Charlton a few weeks earlier.

And that, above all, is the crucial difference in their title campaign. History now beckons.

WingA   

Dear Liverpool Fans,

Boycott ur manger quick time and show ur feelings in every single way you can coz you aint gonna do anymore damage in the history books with him around..

peez..

Ten-man Liverpool crashed out of the Uefa Cup to Marseille 3-2 on aggregate after a controversial 2-1 defeat in the second leg at the Stade Velodrome.

Shame even the great players like Kewell have suddenly become average players under Houlier.

With Houlier I dont think LPool can make any impact on both the premiership and what I call the chanel 5 cup... smile.gif

N.O.R.F   

damnnnnn, was i pissed off last nite, if i saw houllier or biscan i wud have kicked the ef out of em,,,,,houllier needs to go, i dont even car about the 4th position cos that means he will keep hius job, then what will happen??? same old story, early CL exit and crap season, this is the worst season i have ever been a lpool fan, cant remember a worse season,,,, :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Howe backs Milan

Former Arsenal manager Don Howe thinks the Gunners are untouchable in the Premiership - but does not believe they will win the Champions League.

_39962335_milan203.jpg

Howe believes holders AC Milan are the best team in Europe and should retain their crown at the final in May.

"However good Arsenal are, they haven't played an AC Milan or a Real Madrid, so they are untried," Howe told BBC Sport.

"Milan are a wonderful team. They've got the firing power in attack and can more than match Arsenal elsewhere."

Howe believes Premiership teams do not know how to cope with Arsene Wenger's side, but they will find no such luxury on the continent.

He added: "The problem now with English sides is that they go into games with Arsenal not knowing how to stop them.

"Not one club this season has come up with a way to stop them - that's why they are nine points ahead of Chelsea.

"But you look at Milan and they are 10 points clear in Serie A, which is unheard of. It's an astonishing achievement.

"I've watched them all season and they have some wonderful players like Andriy Shevchenko but they've got the team bond too, they know each other so well.

"You can't say Arsenal will win the Champions League if they are going to have to play a team like that."

WingA   

i can believe it, its on T.V!! woow, my first live game for 2 and half months!! lool..

1-0 the gunners at half-time..

N.O.R.F   

CHELSEA CHELSEA CHELSEA CHELSEA CHELSEA CHELSEA CHELSEA CHELSEA CHELSEA CHELSEA CHELSEA

all arsenal fans, shut up,,,,,,,,,this aint Wolves or Leicester, this aint Southampton or Blackburn, this aint Man city or even Lpool, this is the champions league,,,,,,,,,wivout Henry u aint ish,,,,,Fergie has done it again by winning the mind games having stated 2day that arsenal are bottlers, thats what they are bottlers

real are also on the verge of going out,,,, Milan vs Chelsea in the Final,,,,damn

oh yeah bye bye arsenal,,,,,

WingA   

oh my, dear o dear.. what happened?? ur season is over!! all that hard work and nuffin to show for it.. what can i say?? well, its FOOTBALL!!

well played by chelsea..

Well......we are all to familier these stories with ARSenal :eek: like I said before "when the going get touch, ARSenal bottles it" and what happend to the "best striker in the world" how ironic that he shows everything he is not up for that standard. He can do well agains the likes of Bolton, Porthmout (sp?), etc. But just doesn't have what takes with the likes of Man U and Chelsea in the CL.

I believe the ARSenal season is over now, by that I mean. Everywhere I turned I seen some goofy and arrogant ARSenal fans. And when the league and CL goes to the most crucial part of the season they just...go away :confused: how typical. Anyways all credit to Chelsea who have picked the right match to beat them after they've lost almost everytime.

RaMpAgE   

What a sad sad sssssssssssssad day for Football.the most exciting team in properly whole of europe has been knocked out .Arsene wenger stuffed the tactics up :mad: .These disapointments are becoming too much too bare :(

we will be back next year

Originally posted by RaMpAgE:

What a sad sad sssssssssssssad day for Football.the most exciting team in properly whole of europe has been knocked out .Arsene wenger stuffed the tactics up :mad: .These disapointments are becoming too much too bare
:(

we will be back next year

Oh my days, exciting :confused: I say the most overhyped team in Europe if not World :eek: . Can't see them beating Newcastle now after just played Liverpool two days early icon_razz.gif

"From triple to troulbe" :D