Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE

So ma fellow Footie fan what are your thoughts about the European Championships and can you predict who is going to be victorious this time as all the teams are massive except for us the Gooners who have alot to prove but at the sametime we look to be more of athreat than most other time....case in one Inter being destroyed at their own backyard.

Oh we are actually looking to our Spanish connection to do the demolition of Celta.....

allsportreyesleapjoychelsea.jpg

Wenger declared: "Jose has pace, movement and while he's still adapting to English game, he can feel completely at home over there.

"He has played against Celta Vigo many times before and I will ask him about them, even though we have seen them many times ourselves.

N.O.R.F   

Arsenal vs a spanish team,,,,,,,rubs hands in anticipation,,,,,,,,,i know Celta are languishing in the bottom of La Liga, but hey they are spanish,,,,not Leiceter City,,,,,,glad that the CL is back tho :cool:

For those who didnt manage to watch the Game...below is a commentary ......

pireshenry_pc332.jpg

Celta Vigo 2-3 Arsenal: FT Report

PA

Peerless in the Premiership, Arsenal are finally showing the potential to conquer the continent as they took a significant step towards the Champions League quarter-finals with a 3-2 win in Celta Vigo.

Robert Pires struck an 80th-minute winner in this last-16 first-leg tie as Arsenal secured their first victory on Spanish soil.

However, this match was essentially much Edu about something as the Brazilian midfielder struck the two goals which put Arsenal on course for their last 16 first leg success.

Not that the Arsenal fans were able to sing `there's only one Edu'. For there were, in fact, two of them on the pitch and both were 25-year-old Brazilians.

Even more amazingly, it was Celta Vigo's Edu who initially put the Spanish side level before Jose Ignacio struck their second equaliser on 64 minutes.

Indeed, while Arsenal have been something of a Jekyll and Hyde team in the competition this season, rarely have they shown both sides of their character in the same match.

Though they constantly looked a threat going forward, manager Arsene Wenger will be duly concerned at his side's uncharacteristic defensive lapses as they looked vulnerable in the air.

Other sides will punish Arsenal even more severely for such uncertainty, although they always retain the ability to outscore any opponents with their prolific attacking potential.

In the absence of Dennis Bergkamp, who does not fly, Jose Reyes had started alongside Thierry Henry for the first time in his Champions League debut.

The 20-year-old Spain international even had the first chance of the game, only to shoot straight at goalkeeper Pablo Cavallero from Henry's neat flick.

While Celta made most of the early running, with full-back Gael Clichy producing a fine covering tackle on former Aston Villa striker Savo Milosevic, Arsenal were ahead after 16 minutes, albeit with a stroke of considerable good fortune.

Pires' free-kick flew across the penalty area and was unconvincingly nodded goalwards by Arsenal midfielder Edu only to strike defender Juan Velasco.

The Brazilian then flung himself at the loose ball, catching Cavallero with a painful blow to his face as the ball deflected into the net, seemingly off defender Berizzo.

Cavallero needed lengthy treatment to a bloodied nose and forehead before play eventually resumed and it was not long before Celta were level.

Bizarrely, it was their own Edu who scored it on 26 minutes as he rose unchallenged to head past goalkeeper Jens Lehmann as Silvinho produced a pin-point free-kick delivery against his former team.

Arsenal were by no means at their most convincing and their normally solid defence was under severe strain as Lehmann had to dive full length to parry a fierce drive by Edu.

Celta also claimed a penalty when Silvinho charged onto Alexander Mostovoi's flick and plunged to the floor, but referee Anders Frisk ruled that Kolo Toure was more the victim than the perpetrator as he was left winded by the Brazilian.

Arsenal were fortunate not to fall behind just 30 seconds after the restart as Mostovoi's header thumped against the crossbar from Edu's inviting cross.

Jose Ignacio then burst into the penalty area and shot into Lehmann's midriff, while Edu continued to give 18-year-old Clichy a torrid time.

Arsenal were nevertheless starting to threaten on the break and while Cavallero parried an effort from Reyes, Henry skewed his follow-up effort wide.

The Gunners' Edu then seized the moment with a goal of sheer individual quality as he side-stepped his way past three opponents before steadying himself and curling a superb shot into the top corner.

Once again, however, Arsenal's lead did not last long, with Celta level for a second time after 64 minutes. Again, the danger came from a cross.

Jose Ignacio was left with far too much time and space to spin onto Fernandez Sergio's downward header from a corner and, although Lehmann got his fingers to the ball, it sneaked inside the post.

Back came Arsenal once again, though, with Pires and Henry combining to slice their way through the Celta Vigo defence with 10 minutes left before Pires finished with aplomb into the far corner.

It was by no means a convincing display but the result was all-important. The quarter-finals now surely beckon.

Baaniyal   

I must say i was a nervous reck the whole game. We played poorly,but still managed an away win. A testament of a great side! Also Henry's 30 yard goal should have counted,the linesman got it wrong. Celta Vigo have some quality,but not enough.

man yesterday i had the pleasure of watching Real vs. bayern simultaneously with arsenal vs. celta.

although it was filled with goals, it couldnt grab my attention.

i've neva seen bayern play like dat, man did they make those superstars crazy, zidane was so frustrated i neva saw him like dat. man Makaay was on another level the whole bayern team, dats why u can neva count germsns out, the know how to roll on crunch time. i cant speak for their ****** goalie, i guess leahmann will be gettin his crack at top post in national team soon.

peez

p.s if bayern keeps playin like dat might as well give dem the cup now, n spare our selves some german humiliation