Sign in to follow this  
Haystak

CLICK HERE, AND BE AMAZED BY THE TRUTH.

Haystak   

On December 21st, 2003, I visited Mogadishu, Somalia for the first time in my life. I'll be the first to admit, I was nervous...I thought about changing my trip, and just visit family I had in other parts of Somalia, or even Ethiopia, and Djibouti instead. From the stories I heard about Mogadishu, I was almost sure I was going to either die, or suffer from hunger during my stay there. I landed at Easiley airport, at about 8am local time, flying there with Jubba airlines, using Yemen as a fourty-minute transit spot. The weather in Mogadishu was beautiful, however, that alone couldn't help me get over my fear of the place. I saw guns...big guns, and believe me, they're everywhere. I was greeted at the airport by my uncle, and a cousin whom I had never seen before in my life. We got on the Jubba airlines bus, heading towards their main office in the center of the town. As we drove, I saw many things that would change my mind a little about Mogadishu. Firstly, you see trees everywhere... a truely beautiful sight! Moreover, I was suprised to see a big beautiful hospital, where foreign doctors from Europe worked at. Later on that day, as family members and I walked around, I was more suprised when I saw Chinese people, and a few Arabs all looking to do business in the country. However, despite the abundance of industry present...from a mattress factory, coal shipping yard, water purifying plant, hotels and much more. I couldn't believe my eyes, when I saw a Coca-Cola bottling factory. At first I thought it was just a poster on a wall, however, I would get a tour around the building a few days later. It still isn't fully up, they were still putting final touches, but it's still amazing. That day, I didn't sleep much, I felt as if I had to see more, and sleeping would just prevent me from doing so. As I walked around somemore, I saw a big beautiful building, which was the Somali Post-office/internet cafe. This was starting to look like a different Mogadishu...not the one I heard all those scary stories about. Although, you see guns, most of the militia are now paid security-guards for a building, or some other business. None of them have the time of day, to look your way, and harrass you. I never once heard a single gun shot fired in the city. At this point I was angery for being lied to about this place, for such a long time. Everybody from my moms side of the family, to friends, and strangers I was just on a hi-bye vibe with, would give me a negative image of Mogadishu. The people looked healthy, "not to say you don't see a some suffering." However, you see something totally opposite to what you've heard about Mogadishu. I walked everywhere peacefully...sometimes till 3am in the morning, without any weaponds, or a huge envoy. Life in Xamar, was no different from life anywhere else in the world. Children went to school, those who had work, went to work...friends hung out, or played sports. People in the city have dishes set up at their homes, and are upto date with events around the world. The main markets in Mogadishu are amazing...anything you can think of, you'll find there. From electronic goods, name brand clothing, etc...they are all there. All of the latest items out, will be found in the markets of Mogadishu. This is all thanks to the many private business people, who have returned to Somalia, and are taking advantage of the fact that, there are no taxes on imported items. Almost everybody has a telephone at home. Moreover, all local calls are free! That is amazing, since not even London, England can claim that. Calling rates from Somalia, to anywhere else in the world are the cheapest rates in the whole continent. With so much going on, the only sad part of it all is, there are still many people who have a negative image of Mogadishu. Anytime, a gun shot goes off, all the focus goes to the negative, instead of the positive going on around the city. Insha Allah, all the evil warlords that are trying to keep Somalia in chaos, will soon die, and go to hell for the rest of their lives. The people in Mogadishu are ready for peace, and they proved it to me, on my visit there...."not to mention, my first visit there." Tribes from all over Somalia, Djibouti, Ethiopia...etc all side by side, doing business and politics, as usual. Either ask anyone who has just returned from Xamar, or visit it for yourself, and you'll either hear about, or experience a completely different Xamar. One very different from the images passed on to us through CNN, and other pro-American news stations. Anyway, I'm just a decent brother, trying to do his part on passing the real deal on Xamar, across to his global Somali family. If anyone else has something to share, then please feel free...for now, I'm Audi!!!!

Salaan...

I am glad you visited Xamar. And I am glad that you proved wrong the misconceptions about it; however Xamar isn't that fancy either.

I was suprised to see a big beautiful hospital, where foreign doctors from Europe worked at

That is SOS children's hospital, I guess. It is a beautiful hospital, but compared to the way it was 13 years ago, you will be shocked.

Although, you see guns, most of the militia are now paid security-guards for a building, or some other business

That is right. They are busy. I was surprised too while there.

Tribes from all over Somalia, Djibouti, Ethiopia...etc all side by side, doing business and politics, as usual

That is true, and I didn't have expected to see some members of some qabiils in there living freely.

Either ask anyone who has just returned from Xamar, or visit it for yourself, and you'll either hear about, or experience a completely different Xamar

Yes, Xamar looks completely different. Of course, the other way around. And yes, I was there, seeing on my bare eyes.

I never once heard a single gun shot fired in the city

That is also true. Most xaafado are peaceful and you hardly hear any shots, especially Laba Dhagax, Taleex, Sodonka, Huriwaa, Bakaaraha, Ifka iyo Aakhiro, etc, laakiin in some xaafado you can occasionally still hear what the Ciyaal Xamar call the "music"--that is the gunshots.

People in the city have dishes set up at their homes, and are upto date with events around the world

This is so true! I was there when Bakhdaad fell and immediately after I heard the news, I turned the TV on, there Al Jazeera reporting live about Sadaam's statue collapsing; then switched to CNN, there the netword was misfiring its propagandic images of Sadaam's effigy falling. Turned the darn thing off, wished there was no TV as I expected. One night the kids were watching American TV shows Dark Angel and ER. I was surprised they watch new American shows in Xamar now!

Overall, Xamar is a lot more peaceful than I thought too. However, its citizens yearn a lot more peace, and to be it a city that deserves to be a capital city--just the way it was. Those so-called warlords had caged and curbed its citizens and curved up the city as they please.

Again that as much as I love and adore it, objectivity would do the justice of reporting.

Jaaw.

Liqaye   

the people of somalia where ever they are in somalia want peae and a goverment that recogizes their need for justice and equity.

Xamar has survived and will survive.

somalia has survived and will survive.

The only thing we need to know is if somalia and somalis will learn anything from the civil war.

I hope fellows like gediid notice how pathetic it is to reduce somali issues to ugly and pretty sister drivel.

All we are faced with, each and every somalis are the men who would like to see evry tulo, and degmoyiin in somali aflame once more.

Inshallah the people of somalia have suffered enuogh and that WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!

First of all, thanx for sharing that story.

secondly, i'm not much suprised over the changes

that are taking places,people in somalia right now

are fatigued with bullsh*t,and i won't even be

suprised when people get together and throw out

all of these damn warlords..We are on the road to

better things, i'm in for the changes...