Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

Saqajaanimo tendencies of Somali People!

How do you cope with people taking advantage of your good manners and respect towards them? I have been advised to be ''tough skinned'' and ''stand your ground’’ but being the nice person that I am doesn't allow me to be like that. This is a common problem in our community and it always inadvertently happens to people who are polite and have manners but who some mistake for weakness and someone they can advantage of.

Perhaps my cyber brothers and sisters can advise me!

N.O.R.F   

It's something you just need to learn to deal with saxib. Being straight up and saying no when you think you're being had rather than saying yes and then not wishing to make a u turn is the best policy. Don't be afraid if saying no offends. You can't help it if people take things personally.

Or you can avoid them all together.

Ibtisam   

Send them to me, I will teach them manners.

Failing that, you already know your weakness, so work around it.

I agree with north, stick to the basic truth, you don't owe anyone anything, so just do what you can and say NO to everything else.

Avoiding does not work, if somalis want something, they WILL find you, deal with them.

Ibtisam   

^^^Well it is a weakness that you don't know when NOT to be nice so that people don't see you as push over. :D

Must be hard being a "nice guy" icon_razz.gif

ADNAAN   

Where I reside this is not a common problem, it is Strange you said this about the Somali people, just today me and a friend were talking about how dignified the Somalis are even though most have it tough.

Think about the single mum who still sends money back home while looking after her kids all by herself. Think about the dad who is doing a 12 hour shift in a bakery s/where or working as a taxi driver all night long. Think about the hardworking young Somali man who idolises Churchill and spends most of his time posting silly videos on youtube <--joke smile.gif

But, if you are referring to teenagers then you could be right or may be these are the ones you termed “Somali euro trash”.

Salma   

To live with the wolves, you gotta be a wolf (sharpen your teeth & nails and show'em the ugly face) :D

Anyway, this problem is not in the Somali Community alone... Rudeness, lack of manners,,,etc could be found in any community.... All in all, no need for any SWOT analysis for your personality LOL.. Just act wise: be tough with the tough ppl and delicate with the nice ppl.

P.S: The word Saqajaanimo sounds gr8.. ori-gi-nal

Poker   

NO, MAYA is the best weapon in human language. Use it accordingly and you will feel more liberated. I know I have!

Paragon   

You are all nice boys and girls. Perhaps my services - as a veterant Fadhi-kudirir warrior - would come in handy. I charge reasonably and I am manners sensitive. Just pick up the phone and dial 0800 PARAGON. smile.gif

I was insulted yesterday by an Old Somali Woman who thought I was Black. I clearly heard her say... 'these (jareer) slaves are bad people' in a xamari accent. I was shocked and felt so ashamed for her, spewing such prejudices.