Sign in to follow this  
Bambina

Somali myths

Bambina   

Salam Alaykum

There are so many myths among somalis and sometimes they are so ridicule that you end up laughing.Here are some that I know , feel free to add more.

1-Some female relatives though well educated will believe that if you cut your hair , you will end up bald (they forget that hair comes from the roots).

2- My mom and grandmother think that if a girl eats too much spice , she will get large breasts which is very bad.

3-If a girl doesnt get married before her 20's , conceiving children will be a hard task for her or a man wont be interested in her.

4-If a girl thinks too much about her studies she will forget how to be a woman , meaning she will forget how to cook and clean.

lol abdilaadif heard that taboo but dont know if its true.

Heard another one that girls are not allowed to eat liver or other internal organs(which i know not of).Reason???? never got the answer.

Sade, is anyone ever tell you your nick is misleading. I got the impression that you are a faraax just by seeing your nick but I know you are xaliimo. How abt a bit of modification? Like "Sado".

Back to the topic, is you drink shaah cadeys, bigeys/isturungi, waarikow or dhagabal or you dont drink any kind of tea? Dont worry you dont have to tell us the reason :cool:

Senora   

LOL...

I heard something about shax for girls b4 and what happens to them....that was just silly

My mom told me once that her mom and grnamother use to tell her that if she sat in the same bed with a man, she would get pregnant.....my mom told me that she believed that until the year before she got married....but then again she was only 16 then...

x_quizit   

"My mom told me once that her mom and grnamother use to tell her that if she sat in the same bed with a man, she would get pregnant.....my mom told me that she believed that until the year before she got married....but then again she was only 16 then..."

LOL...that was so cute and hilarious...im imagining the airborne sperm (not to be crude) waiting to impregnate a woman...damn if that was true....then im a mother of 90... :D ...

The funniest i heard was that eating to much chicken makes one hairy...anyone else hear that? or is it true?! In that case, bring on the sheep...

Gediid   

Lemme explain where the idea of Shaah is bad for women came from.

In the good old days of the real nomads,tea was a precious item bought from faraway places and availible only to a few.It was only served when guests came to visit.To stop women from drinking it they simply said shaah is bad for women and that was the end of it.Till recently women believed in it.Twisted old men so maaha..... smile.gif

A$$ All

Bambina, good points. But some are more neighboring reality than myth.

4-If a girl thinks too much about her studies she will forget how to be a woman , meaning she will forget how to cook and clean.

Isn't there a bit of truth in that? Not the cooking and cleaning, but what we see today are women who are career-minded, and have, someways, lost their ambition to become a 'proper mama'. Only thing left in their concience is not to lose their eggs, and technology has the answer. She has good life, and can have a man for a romance, what the heck with rest of the package, ei?

So, I'm saying, there is some truth in that. Exempt are the ladies that adhere firmly to their Deen and culture. I'm hoping that some of you, ladies or anyone else, dont get the wrong side of the stick.

It is less of a myth and more of the 'truth of today's world'.

3-If a girl doesnt get married before her 20's , conceiving children will be a hard task for her or a man wont be interested in her.

I dont about the interest thing, but isn't women at their best, look-wise, before they are in their 20's? Hallalujah! Somali men in the Baadiye had it so good, 'cos they had their women in their prime, unlike 'us' who've to wait for the graduation etc. Things that we've no control over whatsoever!

Salaams.

P.S. Sade, do something about the name. It's true it is misleading big time. Hello, anyway.

Warmoog   

When I was a kid in Somalia, I heard several weird superstitions/myths. If you took off your shoes and they landed in a certain position (ex: one shoe is slightly overlapping the other at a certain angle), it meant you were going to fly/go somewhere. Apparently, the shoes symbolized a plane. Also, if you rested your hands on top of your head, your mother would die… or so they said.

After absent-mindedly putting my hands on my head, I remember fearfully waiting for the last one to take effect on more than one occasion.

posted by yasmine:

(ex: one shoe is slightly overlapping the other at a certain angle), it meant you were going to fly/go somewhere. Apparently, the shoes symbolized a plane. Also, if you rested your hands on top of your head, your mother would die… or so they said.

yasmine loooooooool i heard that tooo

as far as the restin hands on top of ur head i hav seen other ppl from other cultures say too don't know y

but u guys tell me if ya'll heard of these ones:

if the palm of ur hands iches u will be getting money that day

if a bird sh!ts on u, u will be getting money that day

if u cut ur nails in ur house ur family will become poor

krazy ha, i know loooooool

Bachelor   

In the good old days of the real nomads,tea was a precious item bought from faraway places and availible only to a few.It was only served when guests came to visit.To stop women from drinking it they simply said shaah is bad for women and that was the end of it.

Here is the true story behind shah/tea as far as i know.

i have this problem with birds! one them even defecated on my head! the other day another shot my open driver seat window! i heard the sound, but later found the white stuff there!

and then all the cars in the lot, why do they find mine!

i am still waiting for my stash! i am a patient fellow!! :confused:

Qac Qaac   

"My mom told me once that her mom and grnamother use to tell her that if she sat in the same bed with a man, she would get pregnant.....my mom told me that she believed that until the year before she got married....but then again she was only 16 then..."

LOL...that was so cute and hilarious...im imagining the airborne sperm (not to be crude) waiting to impregnate a woman...damn if that was true....then im a mother of 90... ...

am i the only who captured this, isn't something wrong with this statement. cajaa'ib, but what were u doing sitting with men in the same bed. maxaa kula fadhiisiyay haduusan aheen husband kaaga.

and yeah i believe if girls passes, 20s keeda that she is hilib dhacay. sorry, that is the reality for most of the men, and the other ones don't wanna admitt it. so get married at 20s.. or wait ur mr.right guy. at 35, when he is already married to another one.

Myth: Somali women who get education and a good career lose their culture and deen (instead of making it stronger). Oh n dare I say, exemplify characteristics of a feminist!

nuune   

cajjab iyo amakaag, war maxaad tiraahdeen, bal iigu soo celiya.

looool qac qaac, nice observation man, dhagaxyaasha dhaxdooda xattaa inay wax ku jiraan waad ka raadini, which is good!!