Sign in to follow this  
Lidia

Question: How much $$$ needed in Kenya

Lidia   

Hello Everyone,

I have family in Kenya and I send them money on a regular basis.

Does anyone know how much money one needs to live decently in Kenya (or Somalia for that matter)?

Thanks!

It depends on the number people in the family and the location as far as Kenya is concerned. Somalia is relatively cheap. On average, single person can live off $100-150.

I don't know about other parts of Kenya, but it sure is expensive to live in Nayroobi.

Let me just tell you this: My parents live there and they consist a father, a hooyo, wiil aabo la joogo and another gabar cuntada u kariso. Only four of them in most of the time, if you take out the visiting family members and siblings from diaspora throughout the year. We send to them $700-$800 a month in basics. And it is not even enough sometimes. The family sometimes spends $1,000 a month. Waa yaabeysaa ku dhahay.

Those families who couldn't afford moved away from Nayroobi, to towns and cities like Mombaasa, Nakuuru and Thika.

Somalina   

MMA, I'm guessing they live on a 2 or 3 bedroom house. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a family there myself and even $1000/month is not enough for them sometimes. It really depends on how many ppl you are supporting at the end!

Of course, sister, waa three bedroom apartment at xaafadda Islii waliba. The rent is $400 a month.

You can get that same amount and price for estate house consisting five bedrooms and three washrooms in the suburbans of Nayroobi, laakiin Soomaalida ma rabto, Islii wada rabaan iyo other high-valued estates like South B/C.

Yes, some families spend a lot more than that. My sister, her husband and her eight children live in the suburbans of Nayroobi. They spend something close to $3,000 a month. Her husband is a senior executive at the UN's Soomaaliya office in Nayroobi oo nasiib ayee leeyihiin oo iyaga ismasaruufo. Of course a huge junk of it goes to school fees for their children. They got tired paying expensive rents, now they bought a nice house.

Marka waa saas.

Of course,it depends on where you live in Nairobi. It also depends on the number of people in each household. If the kids go to school,it is probably more expensive too.

1000 us dollars is close to 80000kenya shillings. That is WAY above what most kenyans earn in a month.

If you live in decent suburbs of Nairobi,i would assume one can use 1000dollars,but they can live in OK places and live on 600$ fairly decently.

Somalis are smart,they figured it is expensive to live in Nairobi and they have now moved to a place called Kajiado. 3hrs drive from nairobi for far far less

Haatu   

Nairobi is really expensive. I personally don't send money there but I know people who send close to £1500. My grandparents live in Garissa and £300 is enough for them each. Being rural and all, it's way more than they spend.

A_Khadar   

I think it's wiser for Somalis living outside Somali who get monthly bill from their relatives abroad to move back to Somalia and spend all that money in Somalia. I am sure beside Mogadishu's active war, all other places of Somalia are relatively peace and safer than kenya/ethiopia and else where.

Originally posted by A_Khadar:

I think it's wiser for Somalis living outside Somali who get monthly bill from their relatives abroad to move back to Somalia and spend all that money in Somalia. I am sure beside Mogadishu's active war, all other places of Somalia are relatively peace and safer than kenya/ethiopia and else where.

When was the last time you were in Somalia,Brother

Haatu   

Originally posted by A_Khadar:

You do know there are native Somali regions in Kenya/Ethiopia? Why should we leave our land?

Lidia   

Thank you for all your replies. I find it hard to believe that it could cost that much money to sustain someone in kenya. The reason for my initial question was because, I saw a documentary on egypt, in which a whole family was living off of $30 a month salary their young daughter received from playing soccer.