Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Jilib in 1966

Nephissa   

These pictures make me go back again. Thank you Grant for displaying such a beautiful collection.

Originally posted by Grant:

somaliadz003fh6.jpg

w640.png

Kudos to this happy couple. I was always under the impression that back in the olden days being affectionate was considered weakness. All the photos I have seen of my granparents proved so, granpa always standing with arms folded across chest, and granny with sneering, angry look.

Grant - you are grand old man - *that is meant as compliment btw* - i am glad my post taleex vs qardho has inspired you to post these reminiscently lovely pictures.

Grant   

Folks,

I taught ESL at the government school in Jilib in 1966-67. The shot of me also shows the wife and daughter-in-law of the Mayor of Jilib, Mohammed Shaykh Suleiman. I stayed in their compound until my own house was built.

The double shot is of the two ends of main street, showing the minaret of the mosque and the District Commissioner's office and post office.

The cluster of white buildings is the government school.

The child's hairdo was more of a pig-tail than mohawk. Most children got haircuts with a razor blade, some (rarely) with patterns.

These are somewhat fewer than half of the photos I have. I also have a booklet of Tom Smoyer's photos that was privately printed in Kenya in 1969 that I don't think has ever been generally available. I see it as a time capsule and I would like to deposit all of it somewhere it won't be lost.

somaliadz004qq2.jpg

w640.png

Ibtisam   

^^^Speak to the nomad Adam Zayla or Sayid_Somal Both collect historical information on Somalia.

I think Adam is probably your best shot.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by B_G:

I think the kid on the right with the white teeth might be HORN.
:D

1966- that's when England won the world cup!

Indeed. :D:D

Neph, you have to understand Jilib is an agricultural town and historically agricultural locales have always been more diverse, open-minded, as well the degree of "civilization" we have always heard of. Of course the couple would be more sentimental towards each other. :D

Grant   

HA,

I regret to say I never had my camera with me when I was in the North.

These were taken by Eric Schwab in the very early Sixties, possibly even before. The one with the radio is probably not from the North. I have prints I got at the PC office is Mog.

The only other stuff I have that is not generally available is in the booklet.

somaliradiobv6.jpg

w640.png

somaliadztb8.jpg

w588.png

somaliadz001jw6.jpg

w548.png

nuune   
Grant, I must say, the pictures you took those years are precious and had to be preserved, again, thanks for sharin with us, these are just wonderfull pictures, by any means, would you have picutures of other town.

Chimera   

Originally posted by Ibtisam:

I think Adam is probably your best shot.

Not yet. smile.gif

Nice pics Grant! clearly you have fond memories of Somalia and i envy that, lucky man!

Nephissa   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

Neph, you have to understand Jilib is an agricultural town and historically agricultural locales have always been more diverse, open-minded, as well the degree of "civilization" we have always heard of. Of course the couple would be more sentimental towards each other.
:D

L0L. hmmm, you think our grandparents were mango and bannana deprived, don't you? hence the

ha-iisoo-dhowaan [don't get close to me] attitude.. :D

Zafir   

Originally posted by Ms DD:

Grant

Great pics..

Do you have pics of Qardho?

Qardho ayaa lagaa raacey biryahaan ma istidhi? Bal isku dey in aad Qardho gadaal gadaal usoo aqrisid and see if it's appealing?

Ps: Great pictures Grant.