Sign in to follow this  
Strawberry_Xu

Somali TV Show - who wants to help?

I am interested in producing an ongoing low-budget Somali serial, and I'm looking for talented Somali writers to help me create this. We have the equipment, a tv studio and access to an experienced crew.

What I am looking for is a group of talented writers in London to create an entertaining TV show about modern life in the diaspora, reflecting all aspects of Somali culture, the good and bad (even though I have no intention to be disparaging about Somali culture in any way). I'm thinking equal parts funny and dramatic, tackling various Somali-relevant issues in a fairly light-hearted way.

I am looking for people who:

- have a fluent grasp of both Somali and English, written and spoken.

- can understand and identify with Somali people of all ages and with all aspects of Somali culture in Britain

- are open-minded and inclusive

- are not afraid to tackle sensitive issues

- and most importantly, have a sense of humour about everything.

Previous experience is not necessary, and I'm looking for writers of various ages and different backgrounds.

Understand that this is a low-budget endeavour, as such any payment will be deferred. However, I have fairly advanced camera and lighting equipment at my disposal, and an extremely talented and well-trained crew. I'm just looking to rope in people who want to create something fun and lighthearted in their spare time to entertain the Somali people.

Ideally I am looking for a group of 3 to 5 writers to spend one day a week creating a long-running show, in the style of American TV writing.

We are ready to shoot a pilot as early as April, and if you live in London or you know someone who does and wants to get involved please e-mail me at xuminatrix@hotmail.com. If you have any writing samples, short stories, scripts etc., you want me to look at, you can send them to that e-mail address too.

Feel free to ask any questions, and please spread the word if you can, thank you.

Initially planned for online broadcast, however after we create the pilot, I will try to arrange something with the Somali TV stations if they like it insha-Allah. And perhaps a DVD collection in the future. In the meanwhile, the running-time and the budget makes it perfect for online viewing....and it's free smile.gif

Chimera   

Tip

If the cast looks good it will sell...(even if the acting is mediocre) trust me :D

I might have a good script for you regarding a potential nice Somali movie but not tv show..if your interested let me know

Paragon   

^^Lol Xiin. Shukran sxb. Balse, I think Laba-Xiniinyood is the sort of man who can do this job. He has a good observation and interpretation of things.

Xiin, adigu maxaad isaga saareysaa safka sxb? smile.gif

Baluug   

I am looking for people who:

- have a fluent grasp of both Somali and English, written and spoken.

Errrrrr.....Yes, I am fluent in English! :D

- can understand and identify with Somali people of all ages and with all aspects of Somali culture in Britain

Depends....Is the Somali culture in Britain different from the one in Canada?

- are open-minded and inclusive

Most definitely.

- are not afraid to tackle sensitive issues

Me? Never.

- and most importantly, have a
sense of humour
about everything.

People say I'm a weirdo. That's what my sense of humour is like.

But the problem is that I'm not Somali, and I'm also 7 time zones away from London(or Greenwich to be precise. They're both in the same time zone anyways, arent they?)But I will be happy to work with you as long as you can send me a first-class ticket on British Airways. :D

Shakti   

Originally posted by David_Letterman:

If the cast looks good it will sell...(even if the acting is mediocre) trust me
:D

so so true, but that would mean no spot 4 u huge forhead ppl.. correcto?

anyways, Xu good luck on ur project, it sure sounds a fascinating thing 2 watch out 4. Do keep us posted

Rose   

Originally posted by MC Xamar:

But the problem is that I'm not Somali, and I'm also 7 time zones away from London(or Greenwich to be precise. They're both in the same time zone anyways, arent they?)But I will be happy to work with you as long as you can send me a first-class ticket on British Airways.
:D
[/QB]

lol what are you then? and why did you decide to join a somali forum...you married to a somali?

Baluug   

Originally posted by Rose:

lol what are you then? and why did you decide to join a somali forum...you married to a somali?

I'm an FBI agent looking for tear-wrists. ;)

Zafir   

Xiinoow, the above statement deserves this

Xu, If you need an actor with huge forehead,I am all ears.

Rose   

Originally posted by MC Xamar:

quote:Originally posted by Rose:

I'm an FBI agent looking for tear-wrists.
;)
really? so i take it ur not muslim then