Sign in to follow this  
OLOL

Childhood under threat: The plight of Somali kids

STOIC   

Xiin, I don't understand where lack of political stability plays a role here. In Somalia pressure to have children stems from traditional pressure, familial pressure, and religious pressure.The traditional pressure is based on long held tradition of having many children.These parents beleive that their children will be able to take care of them once they became old.The familial pressure is usually stired up by the notion that the more boys you have the wealthier and happier you are !.The religious pressure is one that is usually misused by many people.Many people will give the excuse that god will take care of the children regardless of the economic situations.To put it simple, there is a problem of reproduction in Somalia(i understand there is a war).The solution to this problem will be difficult one to solve.I understand you beleive once a banana and a piece of plastic is displayed in the naked eyes of these communities they will be prone to ride the tri-cycle more.Do you think that these people will stop having babies just because there is no peace?.They will still reproduce eventhough they can not take care of their own.

Castro   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

Balaayaan faraha la galay. Aadan-Carab was right;

Ninkii ey Rabbeystaa fadaro aano waw yahaye

Shaydaan ixsaan lagama helo eray xun mooyaane!

I'm your mama I'm your daddy I'm that nigga in the alley. (Lyric by Z-RO)

Stoic,

I don’t want them to stop having babies at all. In fact, I don’t even think having many babies is the problem here! You see, good Stoic, we have lost too many people and for us to think the solution lies in population control is chasing our tale really. So let us not go there, saaxiib. The reason poverty and diseases rained on us is not that we are producing too many children than we can support but it is simply the deprivation of basic governmental services, the collapse of public institutions, the lack of awareness. Look at the statistics saaxiib. Less than two hundred doctors for entire population of Somalia, for instance. In the entire state of Puntland there is no reliable hospital! Mogadishu has been frozen in time and despite all the cheering Somaliland is no better in that regard, saaxiib.

Development and stability are intertwined. If there is no stability there can no be development, a very basic formula of common sense. The solution should not be dolling out contraceptives to the poverty stricken population but rather restoring normalcy and stability in their land. That is where the quality of life lies.

As for my playful exchange with the midka coofka leh, well his, I dare say, is the hard thinking of an impeded-mind.

STOIC   

Xiin,i agree with your cogent argument there saxiib.Children are sucked in to this seemingly endless endemic struggle for power.This is why outbreak of nutritional disorder is being witnessed in Somalia.I do agree with you that moral and healthy family development,following the devine code, is essential for all of us.My argument was based on the little interaction i had with my people.Their atitude toward procreation did not align with my stance.Perhaps my argument does not apply to the current Somali situation(back home).

Jacpher   

The problem is a lack of infrastructure and public institutions that provides such services. These kids will continue to die for preventable diseases as long as the warlords are in power. It is immature to think the solution lays in birth control. Somalis are going to have kids so long they remain on the planet. I think one way to find a solution is by making awareness and educating the public.

Xoogsade   

Doesn't islam promote breast-feeding for two complete years? an act which gives the mother a two year break at least while the husband should pay her extra care in everything? I heard most women don't get pregnant while breast-feeding. See, if every Somali who claims to be a muslim learnt about islam and its family laws and etiquettes, we wouldn't be debating about Condoms or other forms of birth-controls the companions of the prophet practiced. No one is forcing people to have too many kids. They are not aware of the fact that they can distance and put some years in between kids. Does the means to achieve such goals matter? A condom or not? Governments help advance and promote good cultures, it can become a conduit for a better life for its subjects but I doubt a Somali government would be the one to bring such needed changes as the officials have the same culture as their subjects.

Castro   

Female contraceptive? No.

Male contraceptive? Hell no!

Well then, sir, you leave me no option but to forcibly perform a Vasectomy on you. Guards!