Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Is the Symbolism of the Hijab lost???

Originally posted by Khayr:

It really makes fun of the symbolism of the Hijab when hijabis mimick action for action, that which a non-hijabi aspires to be-the MODERN CITIZEN.

That's funny. The whole point of wearing a hijab is so that a woman can go about her affairs in peace, isn't it? So that women can actively participate in every sphere of life in comfort. So that they can be model citizens and contribute to society in full as they are duty bound to.

So how can the symbolism of hijab be lost when the hijab enables Muslim women to claim their God-given rights without fear? (And yes that includes working in any occupation they like, doing any sport they fancy or greeting anybody they please.)

That is unless you think Hijab, by definition, should isolate and immobilise women (i.e., keep them housebound or 'Muhajabahs'), which I suspect you do. But then, that would have little to do with the loss of the symbolism of hijab and much more to do with your inherent misogynism, wouldn't it? ;)

Ebyan   

Salams,

Look, the member (Violet) is asking me a question in a cynical manner, so I gave them what I felt was a proper response. No need to beat around the bush, just tell it straight. I can't argue about hijabis with someone that champions an outright munafiq leader who killed thousands of muslims-all because they waved the flag of ISLAM.
smile.gif

Dude, if you don't want certain people to respond, put a darn warning on your topic. :rolleyes:

Blessed   

Uno

how can a muhajabah shake hands with a male police officer

Dos

Anyhow, why be a police officer knowing you will come into contact with men and say I don't shake hands with them, or run in the olympics in hijab that is ridiculous, stop trying to be like gaalo and be yourselves.

Tres

[back to the main thing, this police officer seem to be on another palnet, what is wrong with shaking hands...... its not like he is gona eat her or something. Beside, shaking hands with others who are not your relatives is not forbidden, as I think.

Errrm. The sister can't win, we might as well corner and smother her.

<-This Sister is confused. Goes to get tea.

Khalaf   

Look, the member (Violet) is asking me a question in a cynical manner, so I gave them what I felt was a proper response. No need to beat around the bush, just tell it straight. I can't argue about hijabis with someone that champions an outright munafiq leader who killed thousands of muslims-all because they waved the flag of ISLAM.
smile.gif

Before u give yourself moral authority over others sxb, examine the seerah of the nabi scw and see how he conducted himself with other muslims in particular the respect to the woman-folk and to those whose views he did not like, and while your at it redefine your aqeedah and clear those grave misconceptions u hold on Islam, indeed aqeedah is what comes first in this religion focus your attention on that more instead of hijab........why not question the "flag wavers of islam" like druglord such as indacade who give themselves authority to call for jihad and not fight it in? it is unfortunate what is happening in Somalia and in our ummah in general, but u have no authority to condemn other Somali Muslims who share a different political view which in their sincere minds they believe is best way forward, correct them, reason with them but don’t condemn them to “kafirnimo, munfaiqnimo, and the hellfire” as some here often do, if giving allegiance to AbdiQasins ICU would save them from the “hellfire, kafirnimo, and munfiqnimo” as cats label them, then perhaps they should stop worshiping Allah Most Great, and take Abdiqasin and his crew as their lords?

Mida kale its one thing to “qarxis” other fellas but those who take cheap shots at women folk have no raagnimo, ur sad sxb.....man up.

Back to your topic ladies.

Khayr   

That is unless you think Hijab, by definition, should isolate and immobilise women (i.e., keep them housebound or 'Muhajabahs'), which I suspect you do. But then, that would have little to do with the loss of the symbolism of hijab and much more to do with your inherent misogynism, wouldn't it?

If Hijab was just a damn scarf or all about a piece of cloth, then the Rasul (sallahu aaliyhe wasilm)'s effort to kick out the Banu Nadir (correcet me if I am wrong here as to the name of the tribe) from Medina for taking off the hijab of a muslimah; was really futile and not worth such a reaction.

The Hijab glorifies a muslimah and sanctifies her.

The Hijab perserves the muslimah's dignity.

This inevitably is tied down to the islamic definitions of gender roles and this is precisely what is muddled and forgetton, when many people just end up viewing the Hijab as just a piece of cloth

khayr is right for posting such bearable topic to talk about. Do we sometimes guys think we somalis miss up Soft discussion manner, we are such impatient,aggressive, not willing to understand...Mostly ladies think they are abused even if you say hi to them..lol..

Here let me contribute my idea: i think they should not go into OLYMBICS because that leads to Kufar Action....

NGONGE   

khayr,

You need to expand a little on that. Give your understanding of what the hijab is in more details please.

ps

The Jewish tribe was Banu Qaynoqaac (I think).

Buuxo   

yes khayr, its true hijaab is more then a piece of cloth, as ones behaviour is also significant.

however, what i would like to see ,from posters to talk of is the hijaab of the man. that is a Topic that is never discussed and you will hardly see a lecture intitled that.It is equally important i think.

Aaliyyah   

asalaamu alaikum,

walaalayaal one thing you all need to understand you can find all kinda ppl wearing hijaab, and all kinda ppl not dressed the way Allah had command them to dress but yet are good in many other ways. So not every girl who wears hijaab follows what Allah expects of her.

I saw this somali girl with hijab having this african american guy hugging her and slapping her behind with hijab on!

Modest so are u saying perhaps since she is with a black guy den she shouldnt wear hijaab? if your intentions are good den perhaps u should approach that sister and tell her that it is masha-allah that she wears the hijab, bt perhaps she should work on all other aspects of her life, and shouldnt just limit her relegion on hijab. Yacni qof fiicnaan yar sameeyay qaladkiisa uun lama arko, hijaab way xidhantahay wa wax wanagsan lakin waa la waniya dadka. and just cuz u seen one sister conducting herself in such a manner doesnt mean u need to generalize.

wa salaaam

Ameen   

Buuxo has a point. As men, we also have to maintain our hijab and although it may not be a cloth that covers our entire bodies but nonetheless we should focus on correcting ourselves first before we look out-ward. At the same time, I have to say that perhaps Khayr has been misunderstood. You’ll probably say, how? Don’t you see the words he has chosen to get his message across?

YES, I do. But I think his intention at the beginning were nothing but good, but than again, I’m not in this world to judge anything based upon intentions.

So in this case and every other case that exists it is fair to say…

Allah knows best

Ibtisam   

With wearing the hijab comes certain conduct and responsibility, it is a symbol of Islam, and you are part of a collective, and your actions will be viewed as the actions of a Muslim women rather than the actions of an individual.

Someone who does not wear a hijab can walk into a bar/ football game/ club etc, and they would be just another girl going about her business. If she wears a hijab and goes to the bar/ club/ making out with a guy on street etc, people will notice you because you have done something which is contradictor.

It makes sense that if you choose to dress in a certain way, that your behaviour reflects it. It is true that the hijab is now just a piece of cloth that signifies nothing, I have seen hijab’s drinking/ smoking, at bars with friends/ smooching in public places etc. This is because the lack the understanding, are forced or simple just don't care.

with regards to younger people I blame the parents who forced them to wear hijab’s without giving them any real understanding of why they are required to wear it, hence some of them don’t even realize it’s original value or the fact that it is a symbol.

I noticed recently in London, there is a new trend of wearing caabaya with jeans, then tucking half of your caabya in, so that in reality you are just wearing jeans with a longer top and wearing your scarf backwards. NOW that I find plain odd! :rolleyes:

I think a lot of things have lost their meaning in the last few years ( another thing which really pisses me off is the Palestine scarf’s which people now wear as fashion and it is sold in places like topshop. I have to resist the urge to rip it off people who have no idea what it originally symbolized.)

Should these people be judged based on this? No, if you care so much approach the person and try and speak with them otherwise you have no right or reason to complain.

JUSTICE   

talking about the cabaya that is tucked in the jeans, oooh , such a discusting scene. My younger sister used to do that cause her other somali friends were doing the same, but Alhamdullah she stopped after a while.