Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

Cooking is agreat Talent but men lately tend to be better cooks?

Fo ten years now I have made ma own meals and they have probably been great according to some reliable tasters. I now realise that we as men are far a head both professionally and unprofessionaly when it comes to real good gourme dishes. Women on the other hand are still reminiscing on CAAD IYO CAANO! So does anyone ladies in still in the driving seat where this is concerened?

shyhem   

The ladies won't admit but i think they have really missed the days of cookng with firewood,how can they not,the only fun in the village was kneeling down on u'r knees and starting the fire by blowing as hard as you could.One hour later u're still struggling with the firewood let alone cooking the dinner for a family of seven and six uninvited guest.

There is no doubt that the female have forgotten the art of cooking, however i'm cautiously optimistic they will master it after i teach them how to cook a meal for two pple in five minutes with no excess unhealthy oil and salt.And ofcourse without burning u'r fingers and rubbing some black dirt on u'r face.

Oh you forgot the crying that comes with the smoke and ofcouse the onions...hmmm what a release smile.gifsmile.gif

Oh yeah at one stage it was hard but now its amatter of getting the ingredients right n ofcouse knowing how to use the defferent utensils and ovens that need some reading and understanding otherwise one would easily end up with a burned kitchen than food.

I now realise that we as men are far a head both professionally and unprofessionaly when it comes to real good gourme dishes.

lol W.H.A.T.E.V.E.R

im not gonna elaborate on that.. because i myself cannot cook.. but i still haven't seen any guy that can cook as good my girl :D But lately there are a lot of brothers that cook extravegent meals.. Its really shocking.. i remember when i was growing up a somali man that can cook was unheard of to me.... But i guess times are changing and the brothers are starting to realize no woman in the 21st century is gonna prepare him meals while he flicks the remote away..

But until i myself can cook.. or find a man that can cook 4 me ;) lol i'll stick wit hoyo's food, mcdonalds and precooked frozen goodies...

Miriam1   

The ladies won't admit but i think they have really missed the days of cookng with firewood,how can they not,the only fun in the village was kneeling down on u'r knees and starting the fire by blowing as hard as you could.One hour later u're still struggling with the firewood let alone cooking the dinner for a family of seven and six uninvited guest

LooOOooL u must be kidding me Shyhem,enjoyed cooking with firewood ya rite! redface.gif . Go camping for a week or two and tell how much fun its cookin with firewood.

On the idea of women loosin their cooking touch, thats an over generiliztion...i dont know i have a very old fashioned family, so cooking was honed onto me as a part of my gender qualifications..my grandmother will always say

"wat kinda girl doesn't know how to cook"

Shaqsii..wat do u want lobster, crab some roasted lamb icon_razz.gif its all about enjoying the art..if u dont, u wouldnt care to learn more.

Hey Lady you will never know how nice it is to cook with firewood. I remember once when we used to go camping and cooking outside with the moon shining and the little insects making music instead of records. The smell of the coffee and the roast on the fire and not to forget the smell of the embers burning. The stories that come naturally rather the unnatural ones that are often told in restaurants etc. Nostalgia Oh my mama miyaaa.

Lady Aruba Lobster wouldnt be something I would really fancy as the site of the insect looking thing scares the daylights out of me. However, if you say something about Chicken roast, fried spicy fish etc then Im your guest any day. Just remember if you dont do agreat job then you would have me as a critic as well as someone who would show one or two simple dishes. smile.gif

Anyone...a man or a woman..can cook better than me...

To be honest thou, I haven't met a guy who was an exceptional cooker! So I will have to disagree with you poster!

LuCkY   

YOU KNOW SHAQSII AND SHYHEM, IM GONNA HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU GUYS. FIRST OF ALL ITS NOT ABOUT A MATTER OF THE LADIES FORGETTING THE ART OF COOKING-COOKING IS ONLY AN ART IF YOU ENJOY IT AND IF YOU ADMIRE IT.SECONDLY THERE ARE MANY AND I MEAN MANY EXCEPTIONALLY GREAT COOKS THAT ARE FEMALES.YES MEN NOW A DAYS HAVE COME TO REALIZE THAT COOKING IS NOT A FEMALE THING. AND I HAVE SEEN MANY GREAT COOKS THAT ARE MALE, THOUGH I HAVE SEEN VERY FEW THAT ARE SOMALI.

AND I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW THAT I CAN COOK-MY MOTHER TAUGHT ME HOW TO COOK AT A VERY YOUNG AGE AND I CAN COOK AN EXCEPTIONALLY GREAT MEAL.

*ABOUT THE ONION GUYS-I BETCHA YOU WOULD HAVE TEARS IN YOUR EYES AS WELL. YOU JUST HAVE TO LEARN TO USE SOME TOOLS OR LEARN HOW TO HANDLE IT.

*SHAQSII ABOUT THE UTENSILS AND OVEN AND THE RIGHT INGREDIENTS-COME ON NOW THEY ALL COME WITH SOME SORT OF INSTRUCTIONS FOR THOSE OF US THAT DONT KNOW WHAT OR HOW TO USE THEM.

**AND OF COURSE YOU CAN ALWAYS USE A COOK BOOK-CANT GO WRONG WITH THAT.

***BUT THEN AGAIN YOU CAN ALWAYS LEARN IT FROM YOUR MOTHER, AUNT, GRANDMA,OR WIFE THAT KNOWS HOW TO COOK REALLY WELL.

I HAVE SAID TOO MUCH, I'LL STOP HERE NOW.

-KIWI   

Shaqsi i couldnt help but to agree with you,seriously somali men have been upgrading their culinary skills for the past ten years and as much as i hate to admit they are certainly upstaging some of us, this only applies to the ISKAABULO not married men.

I cannot help but be impressed by the increasing trend of somali men COOKING, somewhat exceptional. Hmmmmm. Waa la ilbaxay!! I think you're forced to b'coz of the times we live, come on you know what am talking about. In the 21st century, for a man to impress a lady he must display an array of talents, cooking being one. Cooking for a special some1 is considered extremely romantic.

"Fo ten years now I have made ma own meals "

Shaqsii, 10 yrs.there you go!!! I've only been cooking for my self few years now so let me develop my own cooking style!!! I've just passed the stage of eating macaroni n' cheese for dinner. So plz don't underestimate the cooking power of ladies, we're just too busy at the moment trying to take over the world. :D

Lucky, I know eh cooking books come with very easy-to-follow instruction......I remember a book by the title "Cooking for dummies: special edition for men!!"

Ok Lucky I have to say first and foremost this used to be an art that was perfected by women and because so many have lost it we the men have to come up and make sure that what our moms and grannies restapies don’t go down the drain since a lot of the sisters come to view cooking as something that belittles them or at least that’s the impression I usually talk of kitchens etc.

It has also come to my attention too that when u go to major restaurants world word and the best of chefs we see men taking over. As for Somalis I tell you what I wouldn’t mind starting a cooking contest between the girls who still got it and those who think they can still do it but prefer having long nails polished than prepare a meal.

Its great to see that your Mom did a grand job and taught you how to cook. I have a few friends of mine who depend mainly on take aways and boy have they grown big or what. I guess you would have to blame laziness for their sudden trailers.

Believe me some of our moms could cook without ever looking at books as they used their experiences and instinct to make that unforgetable cake, tea or iskuduuuugJ:

The organization factor. This is closely related to the experience factor. Many men work at jobs which require organizational skills. Briefly, men do organization. Organization of tools, paper, buildings, cities, nations. In my case, I've spent most of my life organizing people and words. In this regard, I firmly believe that the largest single skill a person can bring to cooking is organization. Anyone who can read can follow a recipe, but getting all the components of a balanced meal on the table requires organization: the salad, the bread, the vegetable, the starch, the meat, and the dessert. Naturally it helps if the meal looks good, smells good, and tastes good.

I have a good friend who is a premier chef in London. I've watched him work in his restaurant kitchen. He works with incredible speed and grace and his food is both succulent and beautiful. It is also organized, as is his kitchen and his staff. His particular genius is with color, flavor and creating the unusual from the available, but his success is due to his organizational skills. It takes a young man or a young woman a long time to develop those skills.

Raliya Sis I’m sure there are many siters, moms n grannies who still excel in cooking but I have to say for the younger and upcoming generation, they wouldn’t the difference between kirissh iyo miriish and faalfaalJ. When I go to see some of my friends, what they present to you (food) as bachelors sometimes blows you away and yet some sisters would still want to present you with English tea.

Tamina having been burned, bruised and cut on many occasions, I would have to say it was well worth it. The pleasure one gets for making an excellent meal is absolutely lovely. You know that you have made many of your guests day a very happy one. Lets face it, to all of us a great meal when at home or at restaurants really makes you blossom.

Blessed   

Shaqsi,

I agree with you, men that are bothered to cook are great cooks. But thats only 20% of the male population so you can't really compare it to the females. Personaly, when it comes to non-Somali food, my dad is a great cook but he never cooks, xcept to show off his skills and even then with help of an assistant (that does everything but the 'brain work' as he calls it).

I think the reason, why men may make better cooks is that they do it for leisure and as a profession not because they are expected cook on a daily basis to keep their loved ones alive as women are expecteded to :D I know, a lot of women that make the simple bariis n basto daily but when it comes to casuumad time... I feel like I've gone to heaven and back... Somali food is just amazing. God, I'm feeling hungry now :(

Curly   

Okay, okay I agree, when it comes to gourme meals, men are rather better at it but the way I see it is woman cook for necessity. Women rather feed their families and generally fill their stomachs for the mere sake of living! :eek:

However men being the more lazy species, tend to cook for leisure, I’ve seen the way they like to tinker around the kitchen in their spare time thinking up of new tasteful dishes to be praised for, to them it’s a hobby! :rolleyes:

The chances of men cooking on a regular bases to feed their families is rather slim. They only like to cook ONCE in a blue moon icon_razz.gif when they feel like showing off their cooking talents and then spend the rest of the year criticising US woman for our fairly average meals, which was quickly thrown together rather than spent hours on! :rolleyes:

for us woman cooking is a chore not an idle hobby!!! :D

Hibo   

yo shaqsi wat are you talking about...ten years? common man forget saalama restaurant huh .....wat about the drive, dames road....lol i dont wanna bring all the list here man. so wat about heating boilers that needed repair. so bro keep it real,cooking is art of survival thats forced upon with un acceptable condion of do or dont,saalama restaurant is always astone throw from you.............keep it real bro.

Well to tell you the truth this thread is not to criticise but to discuss the art that was not meant for men originally being suddenly perfected by the so called lazy ones (Men). I dont think anyone who is lazy could afford working in a big hotel and serves hundreds of dishes to hundreds of customers. As for the ones who do cook at home. I would say that its not for leisure but to survive and live and ofcouse enjoy a decent meal rather than the usual junk thats everywhere.

Waryaa Luzira: Kumaandeex wewe...have u come out Luzira yet? smile.gif How r u doing bruv? Well you know what we went through I rest ma case.