Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Holocaust denier Irving is jailed

Cara.   

Castro, no. The compiler of the list you gave is taking advantage of a simple rule in the US: unless a law is challenged, it's never struck down "off the books". These laws are essentially little fossils of a bygone era. As soon as some eager beaver of a DA decides to prosecutor someone for wearing a fake moustache in church, the law will be found to be unconstitutional or just plain idiiotic. Otherwise it stays in the law books to entertain us.

The law pertaining to Irving is clearly not of the same cloth, since it is both stoopid AND being actively enforced. It's no excuse that there are other equally egregious laws internationally.

Cara.   

How do you figure that? I don't know what his defense strategy was, but did he challenge the law itself as "unconstitutional"? Keep in mind this is Austria and not the US. They no doubt have different mechanisms for striking down laws.

Sincere   

The law is active in 11 countries so trying to get the law defunct would be a monumental task. I highly doubt Austria which played a pivotal role in the holocaust, would easily succumb to setting a judicial precedent in terms of overturning the statue

He has been hung out to pasture......

Castro   

Originally posted by Callypso:

How do you figure that? I don't know what his defense strategy was, but did he challenge the law itself as "unconstitutional"?

How else is he gonna appeal if not attack the law? I mean he clearly confessed (on tape) and plead guilty. The only way to be set free is to attack the law itself. David Irving is a self-declared bigot. I'm not sure jail time will change that. Austrians, as Sincere and naden said, are using Irving to exorcise their guilt from WW2. If they had no association with the Holocaust, they wouldn't have this law.

Salaam,

People, before you blames EU's Hypocrisy and other Dollar-worshipers, don't you give credit to this community who stick together for the last 2000 years to achieve their aims in a single minded way. (Soo Mayaqaanaan halka Garabka laga cunno).

Miriam1   

LoL@Jamelia.

Next person who says anything about my new shoes should be arrested walah, Some grt antishoeism is going on within my family. But on the topic. Heh, its the times we live in!!

Maybe i need a History .. wats the Holucoust .. is it the same as what happened in Fallujah .. or what the israels did in Libonan in '82 or what the Americans did in Vietnam .. or what Capitislim is doing to Africa ..

and why is it called the Hollycoast .. anything to do with the Holy something ...

enlighten me people .. enlighten moi ...

Castro   

Iran leader faces Holocaust case

An Israeli lawyer, Ervin Shahar, says he has asked Germany to charge Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad with denying the Holocaust.

Mr Ahmadinejad was widely criticised when he said last year that the Holocaust was a "myth" and that Israel should be "wiped off the map".

Germany passed a law in 1993 forbidding Holocaust denial. It is punishable by up to five years in prison.

Six million Jews were killed by the Nazis during World War II.

Mr Shahar said he wanted the German federal prosecutors' office to take the issue before the constitutional court in the hope that international arrest warrants would be issued against Mr Ahmadinejad.

Correspondents say prosecutors will have to consider whether Germany has jurisdiction and whether President Ahmadinejad enjoys immunity.

International case

"I'm awaiting a response about whether they will file charges but I don't know how long it will take," Mr Shahar told the Reuters news agency.

The crime as described is directly linked to Germany, committed among others against German nationals of Jewish descent

Ervin Shahar

"It doesn't take days but several months."

On Monday, British historian David Irving was found guilty in Austria of denying the Holocaust and sentenced to three years in prison.

He had pleaded guilty to the charge, based on a speech and interview he gave in Austria in 1989.

Although Mr Ahmadinejad did not deny the Holocaust on German soil, another law passed in 2005 permits the filing of international cases in German courts.

Mr Shahar hopes the case might result in international warrants for Mr Ahmadinejad's arrest, thus preventing the president from entering the US or Europe.

The lawyer believes Germany is the best country in which to file the suit, because it is the "most influential European state" and because the country is directly linked to the case.

The prosecutors' office in Karlsruhe has not yet commented.

Source

Zafir   

I can’t help but break a laugh at this matter; these individuals have laws protecting them from diapers to their deathbeds and are still forcing on implementing ones prone to the future. What a shenanigan, Jews are palying chess while the rest of the world is playing checkers.

Snake-i   

“The lawyer believes Germany is the best country in which to file the suit, because it is the "most influential European state" and because the country is directly linked to the case.â€

What a great course of action; use the country that has an unswerving tie to the holocaust to do their dirty work…When will the west realize that the Jews had chew them and spitted them out million times….This is unbelievable….Further more the only think I want to hear next is what the president of Iran has to say…Boy can he talk