Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

London Underground Explosions

Lemme just say that SomaliaOnline has been a great help & a medium for communication and talking to like minded somalis in the same situation today.

*Thumps up SOL owners*

I completely agree with ONGONGE. And I'm somewhat troubled by the half-hearted condemnations and excuses for the barbaric acts that took place in London today. What happened in London today was cold-blooded killing of civilians. I'm getting tired of seeing MY religion being hijacked by punch of thugs. Who are they fighting for? You? What are they fighting for? They're not fighting for me, that is for sure.

And as ONGONGE said conventional means of waging wars, although objectionable on moral grounds, at least are well known to everyone. You don't attack civilians. You attack the other side with objective of reducing, weakening their war-fighting capability. But wars aren't always waged conventionally, there is unconventional/assymmetrical warfare.

In asymmetrical warfare, one opponent attacks the 'soft targets' like power supplies, fuel and othe supplies depots, communications lines, cyber attacks and so on and so forth. But what these thugs have done today is nothing but wanton killings of civilians. Their objective was not to weaken Britian in any way but to kill ppl. They are my enemies and that of every Brit.

I hope ppl come to their senses. Part of our (muslim) problem is the tendency to sit on the side line or remain indifferent to actions that harm us both directly or indirectly. All muslims are guilty of what happened today. Its only matter of degree becuz we allow these murderers to enter our mosques, live off our houses and with our silence of their acts giving them the perception of our support for their actions. I'm certain if we hated these thugs as much as we hate the americans or brits, they wouldn't be able to carry out acts like that which happened today in London.

I hope everyone is safe and Allah help any of the injured.

Originally posted by JustCause:

quote:
Originally posted by ofleh:

Tony Blair is a war criminal. His words are meaningless as they are meant to deceive and not comfort. People often forget that the UK is engaged in a brutal, unjust and "illegal" invasion of Iraq.

Ofleh whatever you feel about Mr Blair, this bombing cant be used to justify that. The killing of innocent people cant be justified at all. The question is, do you support this boming? If not, why not then condemn it and leave your believe of Mr Blair for another day?
lol@this being a big deal but the thousands of civillian deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan due to British and American coalition terrorists' negligence being mere statistics

Haddad   

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

Their objective was not to weaken Britian in any way but to kill ppl.

And what's their objective to kill ppl? As for to weaken Britian, consider weakening it economically; it's going to have drastic effects in the long term.

Rahima   

There is a difference between understanding the plight of Muslims around the world oppressed by the likes of the UK and actually condoning what occurred. The two do not have to necessarily contradict. I can condone, yet I don’t have to transgress the limits and accept what happens in the Muslim countries from the attack on Afghanistan and Iraq, because first and foremost the poor and innocent Muslims suffer before the likes of Saddam Hussein. As hard as some may try, we can never justify this whilst condoning this current attack on London-both wrong, both should be frowned upon. One the same note, whilst I say I understand the feeling of Muslims to attack for example London, I also understand for non-Muslim Londoners to backlash against the Muslim Londoners (which is why I can’t understand for the life in me why any Muslim would do this), but both are still wrong. This is called human emotion which can be misdirected and transgressing!

I feel for the British people, but certainly not Blair or any of his cronies, because everyday their cowardice is killing Muslims all over the globe-weather militarily or otherwise. Just because they do it under the guise of recognized government and proper military weaponry it does not become right or justified- I think most know this and there really is no point getting into an argument about it. I prefer to think outside of Dubya and wife (Blair) speech box.

At this moment we should all be glad everyone seems to be safe and let’s hope and pray the backlash will not be as bad as it was in the US.

Senora   

I havent had a chance to come on here all day.....but I'm very glad to know that most of you are alright!

It felt like a rock sunk deep into the pit of my stomach when I heard the dreadful news!! The city is so heavily congested, I was so afraid the # of casualties would be collosal!!!Alhamdullilah, most of our family & friends are fine.....and hopefully the rest ( including the rest of the SOL members friends and family) are well too!

Be safe everyone...

Som@li   

Glad to see all the nomads,and my relatives are well,

My advice to the nomads in uk, especially those have dress islamicly,to take care,and be vigilant cuz there thre could well be retaliations against mulsims there,

salaams

N.O.R.F   

Muslim leaders join condemnation

Muslim women in headscarves are warned to be vigilant

Muslim leaders have condemned the terror attacks on London and called for full co-operation with police.

Muslim Council of Britain spokesman Inayat Bunglawala called on worshippers to pray for victims at Friday prayers.

And Ahmed Sheikh, president of the Muslim Association of Britain, said he feared a backlash and added that the Muslim community would feel less safe.

He warned that Muslims, especially women in headscarves, might fall prey to vigilante attacks.

Government relationship

Home Secretary Charles Clarke said he would be working closely with different groups to prevent any attacks on British ethnic minorities.

"I'm hoping to meet faith leaders later today [Friday] to discuss some of these questions and the police are looking very, very carefully at any organisations that might try and attack particular ethnic minorities," he told BBC Radio Five Live.

Muslim News editor Ahmed Versi noted one of London's biggest Muslim areas, around Aldgate, had been targeted.

Mr Sheikh said the unique good relationship Muslims had with the government and society was threatened.

"The person who did this was targeting along with wider British society the Muslim community, ruining the good relationship we have."

Muslims have to be vigilant now, especially the mosques, and I hope the police will increase security

Ahmed Versi

Muslim News

London rocked by terror attacks

He said the police should consider extra protection for mosques and Islamic schools and said Muslims, particularly women in headscarves, should be vigilant and avoid unnecessary journeys.

"It is scary. A tiny element of the community will make use of this. It is a blow to us, to all of us. It is a moment of sadness and we send our condolences to the families of those who have been killed or injured."

Sir Iqbal Sacranie of the Muslim Council of Britain said he utterly condemned the attacks.

"We are simply appalled and want to express our deepest condolences to the families.

"These terrorists, these evil people want to demoralise us as a nation and divide us.

"All of must unite in helping the police to hunt these murderers down."

Attack aftermath

Mr Sacranie admitted "there may well be elements who want to exploit this tragedy and incite hatred".

Faith leaders in the East End have prepared for the aftermath of a terror attack in London.

The Bishop of Stepney, Stephen Oliver and Dr Mohammed Abdul Bari, the chairman of the East London Mosque, spoke together outside the Royal London Hospital saying the East End and London must remain united in the face of terror.

When something like this happens people are at first afraid, and then people get angry

Stephen Oliver

Bishop of Stepney

Dr Bari said "We're just shocked and horrified by what has happened. I spoke to the congregation at the mosque and tried to calm their fears and told them they must remain vigilant.

"We have worked together with the communities in the East End for many years and we must continue doing so."

Bishop Oliver said: "When something like this happens people are at first afraid, and then people get angry.

"There's a great deal of speculation in this atmosphere. We are determined that whatever the reaction it is one that unites the different faith communities."

Attacks danger

Mr Versi said he had already received one threatening e-mail about the blasts.

"There might be some increase in attacks on the Muslim community especially visible aspects of Islam like mosques, community centres and women with headscarves.

"Recently there have been a lot of attacks on Muslim women on buses in London, it has increased during the last few months."

But he said the immediate Muslim revulsion at the attacks could help calm the situation.

"I don't think there'll be as high a number of attacks as after 11 September because Muslims have come out very strongly, especially Muslim leaders, condemning the attacks.

"I'm sure many Muslims will have been injured as well... one of the bombs - at Aldgate - was near to the east London mosque, it's a very heavy Muslim area.

"Muslims have to be vigilant now, especially the mosques, and I hope the police will increase security on mosques and Islamic centres."

'Terrible events'

Other religious leaders also offered their condolences and condemned the attack.

Chief Rabbi Sir Jonathan Sacks said: "These terrible events have brought home to us the full evil that terror represents.

"It is not the weapon of the weak against the strong but the rage of the angry against the defenceless and innocent. It is an evil means to an evil end."

The Sikh Federation said: "We totally condemn the terrorist attacks targeting innocent civilians in London. These are the acts of cowards and a challenge to the international world. Those responsible have no respect for human life."

The federation is cancelling a demonstration due to be held on Friday outside the Indian High Commission.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Rahima:

There is a difference between understanding the plight of Muslims around the world oppressed by the likes of the UK and actually condoning what occurred. The two do not have to necessarily contradict. I can condone, yet I don’t have to transgress the limits and accept what happens in the Muslim countries from the attack on Afghanistan and Iraq, because first and foremost the poor and innocent Muslims suffer before the likes of Saddam Hussein. As hard as some may try, we can never justify this whilst condoning this current attack on London-both wrong, both should be frowned upon. One the same note, whilst I say I understand the feeling of Muslims to attack for example London, I also understand for non-Muslim Londoners to backlash against the Muslim Londoners (which is why I can’t understand for the life in me why any Muslim would do this), but both are still wrong. This is called human emotion which can be misdirected and transgressing!

I feel for the British people, but certainly not Blair or any of his cronies, because everyday their cowardice is killing Muslims all over the globe-weather militarily or otherwise.
Just because they do it under the guise of recognized government and proper military weaponry it does not become right or justified- I think most know this and there really is no point getting into an argument about it. I prefer to think outside of Dubya and wife (Blair) speech box.

At this moment we should all be glad everyone seems to be safe and let’s hope and pray the backlash will not be as bad as it was in the US.

At this moment in time, sadly, Bush and Blair comfortably hold the moral high ground. Yes they invaded Iraq and Afghanistan. There were civilian casualties during the invasion (surprisingly kept to a minimum though). They used the most sophisticated of weapons in their “shock and awe†attacks. But, they fought a standing army and they won that fight. Ever since then, the majority of the civilians killed in Iraq (and Afghanistan) were victims of fellow Muslims. Those bombing streets, shops and police stations ARE Muslims. Those arbitrarily deciding who is a “collaborator†and who is not, claim to be Muslim. All the ills, bad news and disasters befalling us are the work of fellow Muslims.

How long are we to be on the defensive? How long will we try to condone all sorts of WRONG acts by referring to some Muslim plight and blaming Bush and Blair?

How different are we from the people that blow up trains and kill civilians (in Iraq, Afghanistan, London or New York)?

There is something disgustingly wrong with the Muslim world today. We can all see it, we know about it and, most of us are uncomfortable with it. But, instead of concentrating on this rotten core, we bang on about Bush and Blair! We collectively defend “Islam†and blame the way it’s being interpreted. But, what Islam are we defending? The Shia Islam? The Salafi Islam? The one practised by the Muslim Brotherhood? Hezb-ut-Tahrir’s version? The followers of each of these “sects†regard the others as “deviantsâ€. In their eyes, what the rest practise is NOT Islam!

But, still, none of this matters. Muslims are being killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. They’re being killed by non-Muslims (or so the argument goes) and it’s not justified. Do you ever find such hypocritical arguments tiring? Do the people of Iraq follow your “version†of Islam? Are they really your brothers and sisters? Or, does the fact that Bush & Blair were behind the invasion of Iraq make them your brothers and sisters?

One of these days, some of us will have to make a choice, follow an ideology (or interpretation of Islam) and stick to it. This choice (ideology) has to be CLEAR. It should have no ambiguity or vagueness. It should not change whenever Bush or Blair do something to a “Muslim†country.

Until such a time, what the West does for the benefit of its own people is justified and what some self-appointed Mullahs do for their own benefits is NOT justified. It really is simple and plain to anyone who’s not either dim or duplicitous.

Muhammad   

^^ Hasbunallah Wa Ni'mal Wakeel!

Originally posted by Baashi:

Glad to see u all made it safe. My prayers and thoughts are with SOL nomads and their relatives (if any) who have been affected by this cowardly act of indiscriminate killings. Likewise, my heart goes out to all the innocent folks and their loved ones who have been affected by this tragic incident.

enough said!!

I beg to differ my dearest NGONGE. Wars are not justified, not the war on Iraq. It wasn’t a war...it was an invasion (whether informed beforehand or not is irrelevant)! A bullying of sorts! A show of power! Lets stop the denial and hiding behind fancy words like ‘war etiquettes’ ha! America bullied its way into Iraq and continues to cause civilian casualties on a daily basis. The argument that its Iraqis who blow themselves and do the most damage to their people albeit true is not an answer. They are driven to it..yes I said it (call me dim all you want icon_razz.gif ) out of desperation and seeking independence. Its better to die standing than to live upon your knees (as Tupac said).

Secondly, as for those hesitant in condemning the London bombings and camouflaging their real opinions with subtle words like ‘frown upon’ – be true and say what it is you want to say. ‘Frowning upon something’ means disliking it YET finding it ACCEPTABLE. These cowardly acts against the civilian population of London are UNACCEPTABLE and should be CONDEMNED. Being concerned about a backlash against Muslims alone is selfish and shows the divided mentality in addressing this issue. Seems to me like we are willing to tolerate it as long as it causes us no harm. We(Muslims and non-muslims alike) should stand united and strong against terrorism.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Athena:

call me dim all you want

Are you serious? You with the banning powers? It's like Lennox Lewis telling a skinny kid to punch him.