Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Info worth knowing!

Baashi   

1. In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls. If you do not want to receive sales calls from telemarketers, call this number from your cell phone 888-382-1222. It is the national Do Not Call list. It blocks your number for 5 years. If for some reason it does not work for your cell phone, you can visit Do Not Call List if you want to register a telephone other than your cell phone or any landline telephone you wanted to be blocked. Hopefully you find this useful.

2. Google has implemented a new feature allowing a phone number to be used to identify the number’s holder and their home address. The new feature works like this: the phone number is entered into the search bar. Results for the search include the name of the phone number holder, their address and a map to their house via a MapQuest link. If a child, or anyone gives out your phone number, someone can actually look-up your address and find directions to your home. The safety issues are obvious, and alarming. In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to www.google.com. Type your phone number, including area code, in the search bar and hit enter. If you want to block Google from divulging your private information, simply click on the telephone icon next to your phone number and fill in the form. If your number is unlisted, you may not be listed in the google directory. Removal takes 48 hours.

Nacala washak. i just found my name and my home address and map to my home as well......the work of "THE MAN" never stops.

baashi thanx walaalkiis, your a life saver.

asxantu

STOIC   

Thanks Baashi for the info, Get your name off mailing lists too,here is how you can do it.

(date)

Mail Preference Service

Direct Marketing Association

P.O. Box 9008

Farmingdale, N.Y. 11735

To whom it may concern:

I am writing to register with your Mail Preference Service. Please inform your members that I do not want my name sold to any company for the purpose of placing me on the mailing list and sending me advertising mail.

In addition, I would like my name removed from existing lists.

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

(your name)

Pujah   

I cannot believe this...walaahi you can't imagine my shock staring at my name and home address; the sad thing is i just moved in to this address and there its already published for the whole world to see :mad:

juba   

Originally posted by Brown:

Maybe your city is not represented, Where you from?

somewhere you can't go! can't u read! :D

good info Baashi thanks, i am on the do not call list and guess what? they still call! talk about determination! Just don't even answer if u have caller ID.

Pacifist   

I checked my home phone and they have it but my address is wrong and they have some white dudes name :D

Good info Bashi

Baashi   

Amazing networking site worth taking a look! www.linkedin.com

Good for to keep up with your professional contacts, trusted friends, ex-classmates, etc. This is how it works: if you sign up without invitation you become the center of your own network (you have to build it from scratch). If you are invited you become a link of an existing network depending on the size of the network you are linked in, you may have a well positioned network buddies. This site has 2.1 million professional networks from all over the world.

The person who invited me, for instance, has 156 professionals (in my industry) under him (think of it as a tree with branches - your link is a matter of X degree of separation). Through this, I found 13 colleagues in my company, 1 former classmate, and 15 professionals within my zip code all part of this network I’m linked in. For instance, if I need help with introductions, my network buddies can recommend me and put me in touch with say Engineering hiring manager of Intel in our network. My sponsor knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows that hiring manager. So it’s 4-degree separation. Therefore, I would have to start (if the need arise) contacting my buddy and through the network I will be able to have a direct conversation with that gentleman hence increasing my employment prospect.

Note of caution: Beware of people you invite. You have to know them very well and trust them to represent you. It’s very important that you don’t invite friends, acquaintances, or family members for their names will become part of the network. This is about building network for business, professionals, and entrepreneurs and having credentials helps a lot.