Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

Taleex vs. Qardho

BOB   

Originally posted by Grant:

Bob,

The worst you can blame on me is teaching your parents or grandparents English. Yes, that is highly subversive!

Naah my grandparents were NOMADS from Qabri-Dahare, Qalaafe and Qandala and Kismayo itself and there's every chance that they died without even knowing the existence of a country called U.S never mind its English language...

as for my parents...my mom was schooled in Nairobi and my Dad was schooled in Kismayu madrassa and later in Al Azhar University in Egypt marka my parents missed your teachings unless you were teacher in those different countries simultaneously. smile.gif

Mr Einstein relax I'm Somali and we're KNOWN for our hospitality especially towards the non-somalis marka now its my turn to teach you Somali so go and get your book but be careful yaa lagu arkin adigoo bilcaameheena la hadlaaya hadii kale sidii awoowgeey Sayid Muhammad Abdulle Hasan ayaan seefteydii soo qaadan daraawiishna meesha waa joogtaa oo Xiin iyo Sophist iyo Aaliyah ayaa I garab taagan. :D

Gheelle...When you want to bring a country to its knees you target its source of income and in Somalia you head for the South of Mogadishu where the source of our income lay and that's when Jilib comes into the picture. :D

Peace, Love & Unity.

nuune   

Bob, please sxb slow down with Grant, plus address him in English even if he knows Somali smile.gif

Grant was there since 60s sxb in Somalia, at that time, most of us did not even exist, I know for sure my mom was not even born at that time, marka lets welcome our Nomad :D

BOB   

Originally posted by nuune:

Bob,
please sxb slow down with
Grant
, plus address him in English even if he knows Somali
smile.gif

Yes Sir. smile.gif

Peace, Love & Unity.

Originally posted by *BOB:

quote:Originally posted by Protocol:

*BOB

You're misinformed, cities like qardho, bossaso etc are very diverse and not just one clan lives there. In fact there are Oromo people, and people of all clans living in puntland. Most somali's have actually moved north, so it would not be surprising if the north is more diverse now.

Hold your donkey there my dear Saaxiib Protocol...I know Bari more than you think I do and the diverseka aa ka hadleeso waa after the civil war...I TOTALLY AGREE with you on that but then again so is Xamar contrary to what many believe laakiin aniga waxaan ka hadlaayey long before the civil war even Hargeisa waxaa ku nool kumanaan qabiilada dago aan aheyn yet we say waa magaalo ay leeyihiin so and so qabiil...Why?

I was referring to in the days you were in diapers...long long time ago...I mean once upon a time when we (reer Kismaayo) used to sing 'Boowe Bari Laga Reysay Bariis Caano leh i forgot it now' you can't say a city is truly diverse until the so-called Minority ay cod ku yeeshaan magaaladaas and in Boosaaso waxee ahaan jirtay hadaa eheen Caliga Cade ahem Cusmaan Dooy ama Daashka you're almost invinsible mise been waaye? Those three BIG BALLERS aa monopoly ku heestay ganacsiga and they still do to some extent...remember when Cusmaan and Cali ee is dagaaleen...they even tried inee dabkooda Kismaayo nagusoo gaarsiiyaan laakiin maxaa nagu taqaanaahe cirka aan ufiirinay nooh reer bari ka dabaasha aan dhahnay anaga Reer Kismaayo aa nala dhahaa Bari centuries aa noogu dambeeysay laakiin there's no tribe oo monopoly ku heestay Kismaayo in any time pre-dagaalka qabiil walba oo magaalada dagan wuxuu u arkay inee magaaladiisa tahay be may Baajuun or Baraawe.

PS. Bro the overwhelming majority of people from Kismayo have at least one parent or family member from either Bari or OG'enia me included which is why we know so well where these two players hail from...marka boowe yaa mar dambe lagaa maqlin BOB waa misinformed markaan ka hadlo Bari.
;)

Peace, Love & Unity.
I was talking about after the civil war, myself, what else? Of course, during the sixties with the SYL government, somali's started moving to the south en masse, and with military regime completely ignoring bari in terms of development, it's no surprise there was no diversity there pre-civil war. But during colonial times, bari was the heart of the somali northeastern kingdom.

As for the history of bossaso(bender khassim), it was original founded by dashisile from what i've read, although they are a minority there now. yea, the cali and cusmaan do have a rivalry, I believe the cusmaan killed the cali sultan and the cali still hold a grudge to this day. As for ganacsiga bossaso, from what i've been told the wabeneye are also big players but truth be told ganicsiga qabil ma leh, so all businessmen in bossaso are allowed to make money irrespective of tribe. Bossaso and puntland is more diver than the south right now if I had to hazard a guess.

As for kismaayo, runtii hadi la sheego like every city there is a tribe or group of tribes that has more influence than others either because they have the numbers or weapons or money, so it's no different than any other somali city.

The bajuun were the original inhabitants of kismaayo, then later came the ha.rti and OG, yet today the bajuun have no real power in the city and it's the other nomadic galti tribes that have the most power. How is that fair? Do not paint kismaayo as some kind of paradise where minorities are treated fairly. Just a few weeks ago, there was a somali bantu young girl that was stoned to death in kismaayo, no justice whatsoever.

BOB   

Brother horta is daji oo breathe in and breathe out...anigu hadaba kama hadlaayo Kismaayada maanta jirta ee uu marba qabiilkii hub badan leeyahay annagaa leh ee waxaan ka hadlayaa Kismaayadii pre-civil war jirtay...in the days when the real reer Kismaayo lived Kismaayo!

PS. Get your facts straight first brother forget the cheap sheekada aad dad been sheegaya ka maqashay...Kismaayo baajuun ka hor bey Soomaali daganeyd...baar taariikhda nin la yiraahdo Cali Sharaa...waxaa loogu heesi jiray Ma Cabsade Cali Sharaa Cidduu Galo Ceymo Maleh...qofna ha wareysan because most tribes wont be honest enough to tell you the truth...SEEK & FIGURE YOURSELF OUT.

Habeen Wanaagsan Sxb.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

BOB   

Aaah Mother City...What a beautiful city...!

ThePoint...You MUST visit Cape Town before the 2010 World Cup and NO aniga waxba ha isoo raadin ee isku tasho.looool

Peace, Love & Unity.

ElPunto   

^Lol. It's in my top 3 list I'A. Not sure I'll be there before 2010. I hope they do a good job on it - don't embarass us Africans even more than we are now.

Grant   

I was told Kismayu means "shallow wells" in Swahili and that it was one of the Banidiri "ports" going back at least to the Omani/Zanzibari Sultanate.

http://books.google.com/books?id=2Nu918tYMB8C&pg=P A11&lpg=PA11&dq=Original+settlement+in+kismayu,+So malia&source=bl&ots=P3r5BQhHD5&sig=ukfAM5GMtH_WSID SVdYtR05q09U&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct =result#PPP1,M1

This article indicates Bajuni lived in villages surrounding Kismayu and on the off-shore islands and suggests they are composed of a number of non-Somali peoples native to the area. It is my understanding the Ina Jaberti groups did not begin arriving until the early decades of the Twentieth century.

The Kismayu that I knew in the Sixties was said to be far more religiously observant than the hinterlands, and also to have a more rigid class structure. It was considered "different".

There was still something of an Italian presence when I was there in 1966, but it seemed like they were ouside the town rather than in it. Also, they had administered Juubbaadda Hoose from Jilib. Honestly, I have always thought there was something in Kismayu of which they were afraid. (?)

Baashi   

BOB, Grant is right on this one baba. Bajuni are the true natives of Kismayo. The Somalis that settled at the well came from the sea (Lowyo Kuus as Lahaleey folks would say) and the west (your typical Giir-Giir) :D

Grant,

Tell me more about Bechtel and the new port they built. Got any pictures of the port project?

Grant   

Baashi,

No photos. I never felt sufficiently comfortable in Kismayu to take the camera. I banked there and got in once briefly to shop every other week, rarely staying overnight.

Bechtel was just finishing up the road and port as I arived in April of 1966. Actually, I didn't get to see any of the construction; they were just selling off unused supplies and equipment and tying up loose ends.

The port consisted of a two-lane fill road out to a small island just off the coast. The dock consisted of cast-concrete piers and a cast-concrete deck. It wasn't big. You could get one full-sized banana boat on the long side and a dhow or something else smaller on the short end.

The big problem they had with the entire project was finding enough stone. Most of what was available locally was a softish coral limestone, and not much of that. I know they scoured the coast for miles.

The whole project was intended to bring the bananas to market more efficiently.

The road was a marvel. Traffic was mostly at 25 mph or less, and not much of it, so it didn't wear. It seemed brand new the whole time I was there. There was a daily round-trip bus service originating in Jilib. If I remember corectly, one way fare was 8 SS.

The only isbaro in the country was at Kuumsuumma.

Grant   

Gheele.T,

I stayed a total of four nights in Hamar, or actually in Shingaani, but I never got to know it at all well and I don't have any photos from there.

The photos that I do have were parts of only two rolls of film, all shot in Jilib, plus a few prints given to me by others. The ones I took myself I sent to my parents to reassure them I was OK, and I have now refound them years later.

We were told that taking photos would be seen as offensive in some quarters, possibly even jasuus-like in others. Most of us were trying to create a good impression and avoided anything that might make us look bad.

Consequently........