Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

Taleex vs. Qardho

Our city was the first city to be bombed by colonials wax lagu faano miyaa? wtf?

Qardho was the home of the somali northeastern sultanate. And today Qardho is a burgeoning city, while taleex is some underdeveloped tuulo

^

Is not that taleex was bombed, but because the head quarters of a movement that forced the British to fight use their planes for the first time in africa. It speaks to how ferocious that rebellion was. How speak ill about the movement that gave us Somalinimo? seems a little backward if you ask.

As for Qardho, it should be compared Towns like Las Qoray, the capital of Sultan Maxmuud Ali Shire and Las Anod, seat of the darwiish Garaads.

Grant   

I was at Tallex in 1966.

The British bombs did very little damage. They destroyed one granary and damaged a second of three. The three tombs and the fort itself were barely scratched. I understand there were only five men present when the British ground forces arrived.

The Sayyid fled south with a few men with the idea of raising a new army there, but was almost immediately opposed by the Aweysiya, who wanted revenge for the murder of Aweys al Baraawe at Biyoole in 1908. In the fighting, he received a wound under the left arm and died of influenza and his wound at Imo (Immay) in Ethiopia in late 1920.

I was told the stones for building these forts were assembled by a group of men dragging them on camel skins. The workmanship was exquisite.

The fort at Silsilad is much larger.

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

^

Is not that taleex was bombed, but because the head quarters of a movement that forced the British to fight use their planes for the first time in africa. It speaks to how ferocious that rebellion was. How speak ill about the movement that gave us Somalinimo? seems a little backward if you ask.

As for Qardho, it should be compared Towns like Las Qoray, the capital of Sultan Maxmuud Ali Shire and Las Anod, seat of the darwiish Garaads.

I don't think I spoke ill of the movement. Indeed the dervish movement is great part of somali history, but it was also a destructive movement that was latent with clanism. Remember that same dervish movement(and ina sayid) was also responsible for raiding and pillaging somali cities and their people. So please save the hyperbolic statements like 'the movement that gave us Somalinimo'.

Somalinimo was created in the 60's, decades after the dervish struggle against colonials. But no doubt that movement was part of the creation of somalinimo, but not the only or even significant part.

Praise taleex untill you turn blue, but not at the expense of other cities.

BOB   

The overwhelming majority of Somalis know what Taleex represented and still does as its steeped in our history as SOMALI but Qardho?

Forgive me for my ignorance but I would say Qardho has no significant history to the rest of the Somali population except to those who are born and bred there and if it has then I apologize for my ignorance and blame it on the government that didn't teach us about it unlike Taleex which is why I would argue even my neighbourhood in Kismayo which is called Calanleey is more famous than Qardho as Calanleey produced more national celebrities compared to Qardho and even Muuse Boqor himself (May Allah s.w have mercy on his soul) and Baashi would agree with me on that. smile.gif

Peace, Love & Unity.

The British first bombed Jiidali and then Badhan, the two Dervish bases in Sanaag, and then Taleh was its final operation of air strikes.

Qardho is not that historically significant town but Baargaal and BandarQasim would come to mind?

Baashi   

:D

BOB, I don't know about Musse Boqor Allah yarhama :D but I do agree with you on this one.

Let me say that Qardho is as old as Taleex if not older. However, the fact that Taleex was one of the command posts for anti-colonial liberation movement of Inna Abdille Hassan makes it unique city with historical significance.

BOB   

Shaabi...lasaan rase brother...rebyahaan am galu ra'kin...ni'tee ak xabtay? Rameykanka kama ruugtay sime lewi? smile.gif

PM am galuu soo ridi rako ee ees xaw urijaan? ;)

Peace, Love & Unity.

Baashi   

Baba nurtaa yaawe. Habalkaas aw is ka rixay. Da'iga na'igaa ku oos cawaaya Insha'Allah. Numberka aw yahaa lawi sxb.

Diwaayoow ram dhow naa Rameykanka ka ruugayaa Insha'Allah. Gaxaas iyo UAE aan daa'ayaa probably Nov. 30th if thing go smoothly.