Sign in to follow this  
Seekknowledge

Africans selling their own brothers

Prince Among Slaves - Introduction

Video:

Prince Among Slaves is a documentary film chronicling the life of Abdul Rahman, an African Prince enslaved in Mississippi, whose struggle for freedom in the American South has lessons for us all. Produced by UPF for broadcast on PBS. UPF © 2007.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1078960721/bctid1137748080

Who said Africans are Brothers?

I can't believe you said that? All the problems in Africa are their own makings. No one would have enslaved them without the collaboration of their own people. And yes we are all brothers. Note not only they are our brothers in humanity but also muslims.

winnie   

^^^ it takes two to tango. slavery existed in africa and the muslim world long before whites came over, but it took a more dehumanizing turn in the western world, and laws were created to further dehumanize, humiliate and stagnate the offsprings of said slaves. furthermore, the problem in africa today has little to do with slavery and more to do with colonization. blacks in europe and north america are the ones suffering from the backlash of slavery.

anyways, is this the guy who the king of morrocco specifically asked to be returned to him? hamza yusuf collaborated on a short book on muslims slaves who came to north america and rose up to help abolish slavery. its pretty cool.

Even non muslims praise our muslim values when it comes to human rights. Here is what Kofi Annan said in his speech.

Kofi Annan, the UN secretary states:

“The words of Ali ibn Abi Talib,‘O Malik! The people are either brothers in religion or your equal in creation’ must be adhered to by all organisations and it is a statement that all humanity must embrace.”

After a few months, Annan suggested that the document of Amirul Mu'minun Ali to Malik al-Ashtar must be considered from the legal viewpoint, and after lengthy studies and considerations by the UN Legal Committee, member states voted that the document should be considered as one of the sources of International Law.

Modesty   

Africans are not my brothers and sisters, I could care less what they do or did. Plz just b/c I'm brown doesn't mean I relate to you! ciao!

Zafir   

^I think, the records disapproves with you young lady. In fact they have you in the black section, along with the other Africans.

underdog   

Originally posted by Seekknowledge:

quote:Who said Africans are Brothers?

I can't believe you said that? All the problems in Africa are their own makings. No one would have enslaved them without the collaboration of their own people. And yes we are all brothers. Note not only they are our brothers in humanity but also muslims.
I think your point is largely lost on this crowd. Considering we're from a Land where people who look alike, speak the same language and worship the same God have been at war with each other for over a decade, I doubt they'll worry about some dinka they've never seen before.

Thats my 2 cents for the day.

I have somali neighbours who despise Africans. They call other africans BLACK! :confused:

I think we are all humans and Africans are our closest neighbours but we are not better than them

Miriam1   

I always found that tendency to call everyone your brother or sister because, you happen to have the same faith or ethnicity strange! But again thats just me.

Not sure about that one Goat. Its a pickle.

Fabregas   

I used the word Bruv all the time, even when I go to my local sikh shopkeeper, "Nice one Bruv". In the case of Africans, they are no different from other people. African tribes fought wars and killed each other, probably even less than Europeans who had a world wide tribal war. We Somalis kept our civil war within our state, but these Europeans brought their tribal war to the entire world on two occasions. Europeans killed each other too and so did all the other peoples in the world. When Japan fought China, who said " Asians are killing their own brothers"? When Jews and Arabs killed each other, who said, " hey stop your all semites"? People in the world who are made of different ethnicities, tribes and religions will fight/enslave/conquer each today and tommorow. So why put Africans on a different moral pedastil? even Haillesallese used to lectur on Africans unity.........