Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

Troubleshooting your PC!

Think Positively

Don't be afraid to work on your computer. If you go into a situation thinking that you can't possibly figure out the problem, 9 times out of 10 you won't. If you really think that the problem is over your head, by all means seek advice from the software or hardware manufacturer's technical support people. If you are having a problem with the hardware and it is brand new or still under warranty, return the item back to the store where you purchased it or return it back to the manufacturer (remember to get a Return Authorization number from the manufacturer if needed).

Before you attempt to fix something though, first make sure it is broken. Have a plan of attack and don't dive into the problem unprepared. You should know what you are looking for and at the very least, know whether it is hardware or a software problem before you start reconfiguring your software or tearing your computer apart. If the problem turns out to be hardware related, there isn't going to be bright neon signs and a flashing red arrow pointing at the problem when you open up the computer case.

Finally, don't create more problems for yourself while you are trying to solve the initial problem. Solve one problem at a time and don't get carried away. Think before you act and try to anticipate the outcome of what you intend to do. If you are right, it will be a big morale boost.

Moi? Fix a Computer?

Why would you ever want to attempt to fix a computer yourself? Well, if you decide to have the local computer repair shop work on your computer or even one of the large superstores, you can expect to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of £45 to £70 per hour for labor and there is usually a 1 or 2 hour minimum labor charge. In addition to the labor charge, there is also a charge for whatever parts they install in your computer. Some places will charge you to not only fix the problem, but also to diagnose the problem. In addition, you may have to wait a few days before the repair shop can even get to your computer.

A year ago, one of my friends had a problem with a PC. He took the same computer, with the same problem, to 3 or 4 different repair shops to have it repaired so they could compare prices. The repair bills ranged from £200 to replace a hard drive to one shop recommending that they trade the computer in on a new one because it was not repairable. In reality, the only problem with the computer was that the hard drive's data cable was unplugged!

Working on a computer doesn't require a degree in engineering or computer architecture. Hopefully the following will give you the confidence to at least attempt to solve a problem yourself before paying someone else to do it.

Note, there are some problems that you are just not going to be able to figure out, so hopefully you have a trustworthy computer repair shop in your area.

Causes of Computer Problems

The probable cause for most computer problems can be divided up into three groups, the user, the software, and the hardware. In my experience, the user is responsible for about 90% of the problems, software applications 9%, and the hardware 1%. My reasons for placing the burden on the users are as follows:

• Learning how to use a computer is like learning a foreign language. Most computer manuals assume that you already understand the terminology and acronyms associated with a computer. For example, you have undoubtedly seen the phrase, Press any key to continue.... The first time you used a computer, did you immediately press any key or did you look for a key labeled ANY?

• Most users tend to be in too big of a hurry to do something without taking the time to read the instructions in the manual. Did you really sit down and read the operator's manual that came with your first car before taking it out for a spin? Me neither... Before you attempt to install a hardware device or software application, read the instructions first and make sure that you understand each step in the installation process. Few people understand the complexities of their computer hardware and software and the consequences of taking shortcuts to save time. It all boils down to the old saying, if you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?

• Some users tend to overestimate the ability of their computer. They expect the computer to inherently know what it is they want to do and to perform those tasks without the need for them to do anything. A computer is not capable of reading your mind.

• Some users tend to overestimate their own ability. Just because you know how to type doesn't mean you automatically know how to use a computer. Also, knowing how to use one software application doesn't mean you know how to use every software application.

Basic Toolkit for the Home Computer

There are some basic tools that you will need if you plan to do routine maintenance on your computer system. Complete toolkits are available from a variety of sources, but from my experience, unless you plan to purchase an expensive professional toolkit, you are further ahead to just buy what you need. Avoid buying the cheapest tools that you can find as sooner or later you will be replacing them. Like any other tools that you buy for home use, purchase good quality items.

The following is a list the basic tools that I keep handy for working on a computer:

• Large Phillips and flat-bladed screw drivers for removing the computer case.

• Small Phillips and flat-bladed screw drivers for adding or removing adapter cards, disk drives, cables, etc. Does not use screw drivers with magnetic heads! If you have a Compaq computer, you will also need a small set of Torx drivers.

• A small set of needle nosed pliers or tweezers to get at hard to reach places in case you drop something inside the computer or need to change the jumper settings on adapter cards and drives.

• Anti-static wrist wraps to protect the computer's circuitry from static electricity. In order for you to feel static electricity, it must be around 2,000 volts. To toast a semiconductor in a computer, it only takes about 20 volts. Remember, it's better to be safe than sorry.

• Small pipe wrench or channel locks pliers for removing screws that have been stripped on the computer case.

• Small flashlight and a small mirror to see in tight places.

• Small set of open and/or box end wrenches for adding or removing drives.

In addition to the above, I also keep some basic cleaning supplies in my toolkit such as keyboard swabs for cleaning the keyboard, anti-static screen cleaner for the monitor, and a can of compressed air for cleaning off the dust on the keyboard and inside the computer. I use Dust-Off, but there are many brands available. Make sure you read the instructions before using compressed air containers as they contain a liquid that can get on your keyboard or inside your computer if they are used improperly.

Solving a Problem

The key to solving a computer problem, whether it is hardware or software related, is to be a good detective. Gather all of the evidence first and don't jump to any conclusions. Find out what exactly caused the problem and not what you think may have caused the problem. The best answer that you can give to someone asking you what you think the problem is, is I don't know. If you respond by guessing what the problem is, you are no longer trying to find out what is wrong; you are trying to prove that you are right.

Make sure that you have a current backup copy of the important files on your hard drive and a current boot diskette available in case you need it. If you don't have a current backup, before attempting to fix anything, backup all of your configuration files as well as any files that you can't afford to lose. If something goes wrong while you are trying to figure out the problem, the backup will allow you to restore the system to its original, albeit non-working condition.

The following are some basic guidelines that I use to solve a computer problem.

1 - Be Prepared

You should always be prepared for the inevitable. The best defense for the eventual problems that you may encounter is having a current backup of all of the important files on your computer. It is not necessary to backup all of the software applications that you have the diskettes or CD-ROMs for; in a worst case scenario you can always reload those. The backup is important whether you are installing a new hardware device or a software application or you are trying to diagnose a problem. If something ever goes wrong, you will always be able to restore the computer to its original condition.

In addition to the backup, you should always have an updated boot diskette available for your computer. If during the installation process or while trouble shooting you encounter a problem that prevents the computer from booting up properly, the boot diskette will be a life saver.

One other thing regarding the installation of new hardware or software, read the installation section of the manual. Even if you have installed the same or a similar device or application before, take a couple minutes and check the manual to see if the installation procedure has changed. Also if you are considering the installation or upgrade of a new operating system, such as upgrading from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or Windows NT, check in the manual before you start the installation to see if the hardware that you have is supported. If the CD-ROM, or tape drive isn't supported, then you might want to either reconsider the upgrade or check with the manufacturer to see if there is a software upgrade for the device.

2 - Be sure there is a Problem

Be sure there is a problem before you do anything. In other words, if it ain't broken don't try to fix it. The majority of the problems that I encounter are solved by simply rebooting the computer and starting over. Why this works most of the time is beyond me, but it does. Be careful when you reboot a computer, especially if you are running some version of Windows. With Windows, you must make sure you have exited, if possible, each application. If you are running Windows NT, Windows 95, or IBM's OS/2, you must do a graceful shutdown of the operating system to make sure all of the applications are closed and all of the files that were opened are saved properly. Also, if you are doing something differently, such as using a new software application or hardware device, make sure that you configured it correctly.

Is it plugged in? Don't laugh; this has happened to me on a few occasions. It may be something as simple as connecting the computer to the electrical wall outlet or something not quite as obvious, such as a printer or modem cable. Also, there are different types of cables for printers, modems, scanners, etc., make sure you have the correct one.

The constant heating and cooling on the internal components of a computer causes expansion and contraction of the internal cable connectors. This expansion and contraction can cause some connectors to lose their connection over time. If a computer that has been working fine all of a sudden loses its hard drive, tape drive, CD-ROM drive, or diskette drive, the first thing I do is re-connect the data cable and power connectors on the drive and then reboot the computer.

When you install an internal device such as a hard drive, tape drive, or a CD-ROM drive, they must be connected to both the computer's internal power supply and a data cable that connects to a controller. If you forget to plug the device in or if the connection gets unplugged when you put the cover back on, it will of course not work. After installing an internal device in the computer, I usually boot the computer up and make sure everything is working properly before replacing the cover.

3 - Read the Manual

Sometimes there may be mistakes in the manual or you may have overlooked something. The rate at which new hardware is being produced is faster than the accompanying documentation. Some manufacturers will have a single installation document for several models of a similar device, such as a modem, network adapter card, or hard drive. Make sure you are reading the installation directions that pertain to the device that you have. Also, if an installation diskette came with the device, there is usually a file called README or READ.ME that will contain the latest information about the device that may not have been included in the manual.

If you are having problems with a hardware or software component after upgrading to a different operating system, such as Windows 95 or Windows NT, double check to make sure that the device is supported by the new operating system. If a CD-ROM, or tape drive isn't supported, contact the manufacturer of the device to see if there is a software upgrade (called a device driver) for the device.

4 - Keep a Log

Write down everything that you do in case you need to back track. I keep a log book of every computer problem that I encounter so that I can refer to it if the same problem ever rears its ugly head again. Make sure you record not only the cause and characteristics of the problem, but the solution to the problem too. Your log should be as detailed as possible, including things like the make and model of the computer, BIOS manufacturer and version number, the type of operating system and version, the computer's memory configuration, the version of the software, manufacturer and model of the problem hardware device, other devices that were installed in the computer, and the most important items, the events that led up to the problem, any error codes or messages that were displayed, and what you did to resolve the problem.

5 - Error Messages

What were the indicators that alerted you to the fact that there was a problem? Did the computer display any error codes or messages on the screen when the problem first occurred? In most cases, error codes and/or messages will give you an indication of what the problem is and depending on the error, how serious of a problem it is.

If you boot up the computer and all it does is beep at you, you have a fatal error. This means that the error is severe enough that it will prevent the computer from starting. This problem is usually associated with an internal device in the computer, such as an adapter card or maybe a bad hard drive. If you installed a new device in the computer, you will need to check the jumper settings and make sure that they do not conflict with any other devices in the computer. The jumper setting to check first is that for the IRQ (interrupt level). Each device in the computer must have a unique interrupt level. The most common IRQ conflicts are usually between a mouse, one of the COM (serial) ports, or a modem.

If the computer boots up, but displays an error code or message during the boot up process, then you probably have a nonfatal error that can easily be resolved (usually), by checking the configuration files. Double check your spelling and path settings for any new devices that you installed.

6 - The KISS Principle

Keep It Simple Stupid. After checking in the manual and making sure everything is plugged in, start your trouble shooting with the simple stuff first. Since the majority of the problems that you are likely to encounter are going to be a result of either something that you or someone else using the computer did, rarely are you ever going to need to take the computer apart. If the computer was functioning properly before, there must be something that has changed. Have you added a new software application or hardware device?

Another approach to use is to figure out what the problem isn't. In other words, if you are not having any luck figuring out what is causing the problem, start checking the devices that you think are functioning properly to make sure that they indeed are working as you would expect. By process of elimination, you may eventually end up with the problem.

7 - Configuration Files

A handy trick to use when booting up a DOS based computer is to press the key as soon as you see the Starting MS DOS... message. This forces the computer to execute the commands in the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files one by one. The computer will prompt you as to whether you want to execute a given command or not. By doing this, you will be able to tell which line in the configuration files that you are having a problem with (if any).

If you are using a DOS based computer (not Windows 95, NT or OS/2), another approach is to simplify the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files. Make sure you have a backup copy of these files, and then edit the files and remark out lines that aren't really necessary to get the computer to boot up or use a boot disk to start the computer. For example, let's assume we are having a problem booting up the computer and it has the following AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files:

Original AUTOEXEC.BAT:

@ECHO OFF

LH /L:0 C:DOSSMARTDRV.EXE /X /U 2048 128

PATH=C:DOS;C:WINDOWS;C:UTIL

SET PCTCP=C:PCTCPPCTCP.INI

SET TEMP=C:TEMP

PROMPT $p$g

C:DOSMODE CON RATE=32 DELAY=1

C:DOSMODE CON LINES=50

rem --------- Sound Blaster ---------

SET SOUND=C:SB16

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6

SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E

C:SB16DIAGNOSE /S

C:SB16SB16SET /P /Q

LH /L:1,6384 C:DOSDOSKEY

rem --------- CD-ROM Drive ---------

LH /L:2,36224 C:DOSMSCDEX.EXE /D:MTMIDE01 /M:10

Original CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:DOSHIMEM.SYS

DEVICE=C:DOSEMM386.EXE NOEMS I=E000-EFFF

BUFFERS=10,0

FILES=80

DOS=UMB

FCBS=4,0

DEVICE=C:DOSANSI.SYS

DEVICE=C:SB16CTSB16.SYS /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5

DEVICE=C:SB16CTMMSYS.SYS

DEVICE=C:MTMMTMCDAI.SYS /D:MTMIDE01

DOS=HIGH

STACKS=9,256

SHELL=C:COMMAND.COM C:DOS /p

DEVICE=C:WINDOWSIFSHLP.SYS

To simplify these configuration files, we would remark out the non-essential lines as follows:

Revised AUTOEXEC.BAT:

@ECHO OFF

REM LH /L:0 C:DOSSMARTDRV.EXE /X /U 2048 128

PATH=C:DOS;C:WINDOWS;C:UTIL

SET PCTCP=C:PCTCPPCTCP.INI

SET TEMP=C:TEMP

PROMPT $p$g

REM C:DOSMODE CON RATE=32 DELAY=1

REM C:DOSMODE CON LINES=50

REM rem --------- Sound Blaster ---------

REM SET SOUND=C:SB16

REM SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6

REM SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E

REM C:SB16DIAGNOSE /S

REM C:SB16SB16SET /P /Q

REM LH /L:1,6384 C:DOSDOSKEY

REM rem --------- CD-ROM Drive ---------

REM LH /L:2,36224 C:DOSMSCDEX.EXE /D:MTMIDE01

Note, I did not remark out the PATH, PROMPT, and SET statements. The PATH and PROMPT are necessary to boot the computer and the SET statements are environment variables which will not affect anything if left in.

Revised CONFIG.SYS:

REM DEVICE=C:DOSHIMEM.SYS

REM DEVICE=C:DOSEMM386.EXE NOEMS I=E000-EFFF

REM BUFFERS=10,0

REM FILES=80

REM DOS=UMB

REM FCBS=4,0

REM DEVICE=C:DOSANSI.SYS

REM DEVICE=C:SB16CTSB16.SYS /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5

REM DEVICE=C:SB16CTMMSYS.SYS

REM DEVICE=C:MTMMTMCDAI.SYS /D:MTMIDE01

REM DOS=HIGH

REM STACKS=9,256

REM SHELL=C:COMMAND.COM C:DOS /p

REM DEVICE=C:WINDOWSIFSHLP.SYS

Note, I remarked out everything in the CONFIG.SYS file. Nothing in there is necessary to boot the computer.

We would next reboot the computer to make sure it is working. If it boots properly with these revised AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files, then we know our problem lies here. Then it is just a matter of unremarking the lines until we find the problem.

A shortcut we could use here is to first try remarking out the lines that we believe are causing the problems. For example, if we just installed a CD-ROM drive and it isn't working properly or an error displays when the computer boots up, we would simply remark out those lines associated with the CD-ROM drive only. Next we would reboot the computer to make sure that it boots properly and then double check the lines in both the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS for the drive.

8 - Can the problem be reproduced?

If you call a company's technical support line, one of the first things that they are going to ask you is if you can reproduce the problem. For example, when you launch a certain Windows based application, the computer hangs up. Before you contact support to help you with a problem, turn off the computer and any peripheral devices (printers, modems, etc.), then turn everything back on. If the original error was caused by a software application, try accessing the software again to see if you get the same results.

9 - Simplify the Parts

Separate the individual parts of the computer in your mind into components, then test the components as a whole. This will minimize the number of pieces that you have to deal with by eliminating components and parts that you know are functioning properly.

Components of the Hard Drive

The components of a hard drive consists of the hard drive, a power cable, a data cable, and the controller card. If an error message indicates that you have a hard drive problem, try the following:

• Turn the computer off, wait about 20 seconds for the hard drive to stop spinning, and then turn the computer back on. It could be that there was a minor power fluctuation when you turned the computer on or while you were using the computer. A fluctuation in the power supply for only 1/200th of a second (4 ms) can scramble several bytes in the computer's memory and prevent it from working properly. Depending on the amount and types of devices that are using the same electrical circuit as your computer, this may be a fairly common event. Just rebooting the computer may solve the problem.

• Try booting up the computer with a boot diskette and see if you can access the hard drive. If you can, you most likely have a bad file or two or a bad sector on the hard drive that is not allowing it to boot up properly. Although this is not a common problem, it does occur. At this point, backup any information on your hard disk that you do not have a current copy of. The next step would be to attempt to reinitialize the drive using the SYS command that hopefully is on your boot diskette by entering SYS C: from your A: drive. If this is successful, remove the boot diskette from the disk drive then reboot your computer.

• If the same error appears, turn the computer off and remove the cover. Check the data cable (large flat cable) that connects the hard drive to the computer's controller. Make sure it is plugged in tightly and also check the power cable that connects the hard drive to the computer's power supply. These cables, particularly the power cable, rarely if ever go bad, but I have replaced a data cable or two. Replace the cover and turn the computer back on.

• If the error still appears, you may have a bad hard drive. Hard drives do not last forever. The life expectancy of the current line of hard drives is considered to be around 3 to 5 years, but I've had them die shortly after installing them and also have some that have been running for over 10 years. If you have another hard drive available, try swapping it for the one that isn't working. Also, if you were thinking about adding a second hard drive to your system or upgrading to a larger drive, now might be a good time.

• If swapping the hard drive doesn't help, then you have narrowed the problem down to the hard drive controller. If the controller is an adapter card, swap it out for a new one. If the controller is built-in to the motherboard, then your only option is to replace the motherboard. In the later case, unless you feel comfortable with tearing your computer apart, you may want to have your local service center do the work for you.

Components of the Video Display

The video display components consist of the monitor, the cable connecting the monitor to the computer's video adapter, and the video adapter card (unless the video circuit is built-in to the motherboard). If an error message indicates that you have a problem with the display, try the following:

• If your monitor isn't displaying anything, first make sure that the adjustments for brightness and contrast are properly set.

• Check the cable that connects the monitor to the video output of the computer. I have never seen a video cable go bad, but I suppose that could be a possibility in unusual circumstances.

• If you have another computer available to you, try attaching the problem monitor to it and see if it works. If it does, then you have narrowed the problem down to the video adapter card in your computer. Take the cover off the computer and remove the video adapter card and make sure that the contacts are clean. Reinstall the card; replace the cover and reconnect the monitor and see if that helps.

• Some of the newer monitors have a breaker that trips in case there is a problem with the power supply. If your monitor has a breaker or a reset switch, try resetting it to see if that solves the problem.

• On older monitors, there is a fuse located on the power supply circuit inside of the monitor case that might have blown. If you have a blown fuse, make sure you replace it with the exact same type that was in the monitor or you could cause damage to other circuits in the monitor.

Components of the Printer

The printer components consist of the printer, printer cable, the computer port that the printer is connected to, and the software that allows the computer application to print to the printer. To diagnose a printer problem, assuming that the printer powers up correctly, check to see if there are any error messages or error lights on the printer (if it is capable of displaying errors). It could be something as simple as a piece of paper jammed in the printer or a low toner or ink cartridge. If an error message indicates that you have a problem with the printer, try the following:

• If the printer appears to be functioning properly, check the printer cable and make sure the connections are tight.

• If this is a new printer, did you remember to configure the software in your computer to use this new printer? This is a very common problem. In all versions of Windows, you must configure the printer or printers that you have available to print to under Printer icon in Control Panel. If there is not a driver in Windows for your new printer, there should have been a diskette with your printer that contains the driver or you have to contact the manufacturer.

• Make sure that the printer cable connected to the printer. If this is a new printer, make sure that you have the correct type of cable for the printer that you are using (serial or parallel) and that the cable is connected to the correct port on the back of the computer.

• One other thing to check is to see if the software applications that you want to use is capable of printing to the new printer. If you are using a Windows application and have a specific driver loaded for your printer, there shouldn't be a problem. But if you are using a DOS based application, you will need a separate driver specific to the application, such as WordPerfect 5.0, Quattro 4.0, etc.

10 - Take a Break

If you don't seem to be getting anywhere with your problem solving, take a break. The more frustrated you get, the poorer your decision making will be. Getting away from the computer for a while will help you sort out all of the clues and help you develop a new plan of attack. Most problems are not going to be life threatening, so they can wait until another day.

Contacting Technical Support

Before you call a company's technical support number, did you remember to register their product? When you purchase a new hardware device or software application, included in the package will be a registration card. Before you do anything else, fill out the card and mail it! If your product is not registered with the manufacturer, they can and sometimes do refuse to talk to you.

When you call a company's technical support line, you should have some basic information about your computer readily available in case the support person requests it. The following is a list of some common questions that the support person may ask you:

• Make and model of your computer?

• Manufacturer and version of your computer's BIOS?

• Operating system and what version level?

• Total and available RAM memory?

• Any extended or expanded memory?

• Type of network and what version number?

• Version and license/serial number of the software?

• Model and serial number of the hardware device?

• Other devices in the computer?

• Memory resident programs loaded?

• Events that led up to the problem?

• Error codes or messages displayed?

When calling a technical support number, you should be prepared to answer the above questions. If at all possible, try to be at your computer when you call as they may ask you to try some things to resolve the problem over the phone.

Lady   

shaqsii

That was very intresting info brotha/sis

but too long make it shorter next time !

Sorry folks ...thought this would be a point of reference. Just in case one of you needs to get into the nitty gritties.

Lady Im a BARATHAAR :rolleyes: