Sign in to follow this  
khadar01

If You Love Somali Music ..........

khadar01   

I'm what you would call the lost generation.By this i mean i was in early teens when i left Somalia.I spent most of my teenage years in a foreign country, like i'm sure most of you have.So you could say i'm what you'd call the lost generation because i'm sad to say i wasn't prevelleged to grow up experiencing somali music like my older siblings have.I appreciate the uthencity & richness of the somali music.My favourite singers include,Hassan Adan Samatar, Mahamed Saleban, Khadra Dahir among others.I listen to it all the time in my car, in my house....so as a result of that you can find me in somali music concerts from Atlanta to Toronto to Minneapollis to Seatle.Why? May be because somali music is the only thing i have left to remember the good old days. smile.gif

woooooooow did u say Hasan adan samatwer i so love that man walahi specially when he is doinf life concerts he is amezzing.

I am also somali music crazzy or for that mater music full stop but i listen to qarami alot.My favourite singers are Cumar dhuule, binti cumar gacal, Mahamed saleeban ofcourse Mahamed mooge and many more.

Loyan   

Originally posted by khadar01:

My favourite singers include,Hassan Adan Samatar, Mahamed Saleban, Khadra Dahir among others.

Khadar ... You do have a great taste in Somali music. Somehow I don't like the new flock of singers and their cranky socalled keyboards... never coming up with something original.

jaaluut   

macow diinle? qaasim hilowle? faadumo qaasim?

zulfa ?mama luula, axmed shariif killer, baastow?

shimaali shiikheey shimaali.

cumar dhuule and maxamed saleeeeebaaan tubeeeeeec.

well : waatanaaa hees khatar ah oo doonooyinka lagu sasabto:

hab isiiyo haraadaa isoo saareee, isoo saar hamigayga yeel iigu soo haadee, haadee, hagar iiga dhaag kuma hilmaaamaayee!!!

:cool:

Baashi   
Mooge and Dhuule ...their lyrics are very deep and thought-provoking!...the melody and simplicity of their music is worth listening!...May Allah show me the wisdom of not listening to them...Amen.

La-y-La   

hey everyone!!

I never listened to it b4, but then this days i started listening to it especially cumar dhulle and maryan mursal. I find them to be very interesting as long as u can understand it.

peace

nuune   

iam really addicted to somali songs,i was like this all the time but now it is getting too far,every time iam at home i can't stay without somali songs,i like the old songs!

heesaha xamariga iyo kuwa wadaniga & jaceelka

favorites include:

faaduma qaasim

aweys

luul jaylaani.

but here are my other list:

saada cali

kinsi xaaji aadan

abdi tahliil warsame

xaliimo khaliif magool

ahmed mooge liibaan

abdijabbaar alkhaliiji

Ladiif   

Sxbayaal, maxaad u ilowdeen LAFOOLE iyo HANUUNIYE.

GO and listen HANUUNIYE's song which goes like this:

Shimbiryohow dabaylaha daruuraha dhexmarayaaaa

Adigaanan daalino abidkaa dakaamine>>>

and also Lafoole's song called RUUN but this lafoole's song is only for the Marwoyinka(married ones) don't run and sing for your girl friends.

Hey my fella Nomads....

Just like Kadar, I started listening Somali music about two yrs ago. And I think all these so called new singers should be charged copyright felonies with their electronic keyboards. The Harmonic and Melody of old school Somali music is what truly describes our poetic culture. Needless to say, that Qaacis Music is top of my music chart.

Ladiif.

I agree that song is a classic, but I only heard the revised version with his new album of ’95. I looked Somali Studios in both Ohio and Atlanta. And I can’t seem to get a hold of the original “Shimbir yahow” Song with kaban or Qaacis.

There is also Hanuuniye song called “Daalo”, which is my favorite Somali song. This Artist is a legend.

Enough said, I gota bounce

Hallo every1, reading all your words made me want to contripiute something too.

Like all of you, I like listening to somali music. I agree with you Proud_Nomad, that these new songs and music is not apealing and is not representing the sweetness of out culture.

I love qaraami songs too, not only becouse the music moves you and speaks to you, but also the meaning of the songs, you can feel related to them, unlike these new songs, wich by the way I like dancing to it smile.gif

Some of my favourates are Cabdi Tahliil, man that man has a voice to die4, Cumar Dhuule alaha unaxariistee aamiin, Hanuuniye, Lafoole and some more.

khadar01   

Thanks goes out to those somali music lovers who responded to my topic.i prefer "qaraami" to the new music..there's a somali saying that goes"rag waa kii hore,hadalna waa intay yidhaahdeen" however, as some of you said i like the new music for dancing and the old one for relaxation.thanks for the tip by the way, i will check out Hanuuniye's songs.

How can I not love my mother tongue music of course I'll die for it whether it's the medieval, classic, or the as they called it the new remix sh***********************T

Peace

Love

&

Unity

nuune   

i like this one,we used to sing when we were young back home:

shimbirayaaloow heesa

heesa heesa heesa

hees wanaagsan heesa

kaalaya horteeda

halkan fadhiista

and it goes like this:

caashaq waa halbolee(that is true)

Hibo   

Salaam to everybody,

Khadra thanks girl for opening this topic and if u wouldn´t i would have opened it *wink* .... I am just like most of us who left home in an early age (12yrs old) and have grown up in a foreign counties. However i love listening to somali music SPECIALY QARAAMI or QAACI as some call it. The new style is nonsense acourding to me and all i hear is qub-qac and a very low and poor voice thou there are few good ones who copied from the oldies. I have so many fav singers such as Tubeec, Samatar, Saado, Dhuule and etc as u all know the list goes on and on.

Some of my friends call me Qaraami Freak coz i listen to it all the time. We had a very rich culture back then in Somalia if we only know. It´s good to see some people are the same as me. Love you guys for still keeping the oldies alife.