Sign in to follow this  
Khalaf

Why is Africa poor?

Khalaf   

Salaamu Alaikum Brothers and Sisters, InshaAllah all of you are in good health.

I just finished a literature review for freshmen English class and the topic of my research was why Africa is underdeveloped? I really felt passionate about the topic since I am African, and I wanted the best I could to present a paper that highlighted the reasons for Africa’s underdevelopment. After many days of research, the main sources I could find for the argument on why Africa is poor was slavery, colonization, neo-colonization, economic underdevelopment via the West, globalization, corrupt leaders and the like. I rode that bandwagon due to the limitation of time, but I really felt there is more to Africa’s underdevelopment. I mean look at Asia, especially India they were colonized and enslaved by the Brits, but they are rising today and are becoming a force to be reckon with in the globe. I am not trying to take away from the evils that has befallen Africa, but why do Africans always blame the “white man†for everything? And when will this self-pity, and blaming external factors for failures stop, since the blame is mainly ours. Upon the research I came across this article and I highlight these two excerpts, which I believe hold some truth:

“There can be no pleasure in saying so, but the facts point to one conclusion. Whether in Africa or America, Haiti or Great Britain, blacks are poor because they are, for the most part, incapable of lifting themselves from poverty. Africa is poor, just as Harlem is poor, because it is populated by Africans.â€

There is no reason to think that, left to themselves, Africans would have risen from the primitive conditions in which Europeans found them.

Article

Please do share your opinions on this topic, since sometimes the common wo/man can have better understanding then the scholars. Salaam

Why is Africa poor?

Because of ignorance - pure and simple.

But "blaming the White man" crap - that's just an excuse. Africa has been robbed of the opportunity to shine by her own sons and daughters. The dictators that behaved as bad, if not worse, than the colonialists were fellow Africans, not White men.

Every continent and every race has gone through a time when petty differences decided the future. In many parts of Africa, petty differences are still deciding the future.

Khalaf   

Salaamu Lah

How do u refute this claim though?

“There can be no pleasure in saying so, but the facts point to one conclusion. Whether in Africa or America, Haiti or Great Britain, blacks are poor because they are, for the most part, incapable of lifting themselves from poverty. Africa is poor, just as Harlem is poor, because it is populated by Africans.â€

^AbdulNoor, hi. I really like where you started. I am of the belief that if you want to get a solution, first start by righting your wrongs. Start with yourself. Then, and only then think of the wider picture. Sure, there are problems there, but nothing that 40 yrs could not have corrected. It is bullshit to make an excuse for a failure. The best thing to do is to just admit it and hold your head high. Unfortunately, Africa is not doing that. Noor, I really like your perspective on this, and even though I can not direct to you to any resources to back up your take on the topic, I say to you, march on, brother.

This is generalisation. I don't agree with it. Africans are people, and just like others, they can lift themselves from poverty and stand up on their own feet. It sounds more of a racist's comment, then an analytical look on a problem.

Originally posted by AbdulNoor:

Salaamu Lah

quote:

By showing non-blacks were or are in poverty. Which is not very hard to do.

Lock stock and barrel

Next

Naden   

Originally posted by AbdulNoor:

[QB] Salaamu Lah

You don't. For any comprehensive and complex examination of present day Africa to happen, it's best to steer clear of publications like the American Renaissance, an ultra-right wing source. Racist drivel is what they push. Just look at their site and the comments they garner.

this odeyabdulle

i read this notice i have understood many ways why african peaple are poor becouse the more you are black waaa the more you poor becouse mas kax doodo waa madowdahay sida korkoodo umadooyahay :eek: lol dont feel any ofensive thanks lol

Naden   

^ Your sentiments about black Africa/ Africans is not new. I gather you have a different colour maskax. This isn't just offensive, it's self-loathing and pathetic.

Originally posted by naden:

^ Your sentiments about black Africa/ Africans is not new. I gather you have a different colour maskax. This isn't just offensive, it's self-loathing and pathetic.

i am sorry abaayo

you did not understand. waxaan kawaday but you need to know African people are behind.

I AM SORRY anigaba i am african but ha,xuurtoon ee is kanaso walaashayey, dhibka waan wadaqabnaahe.

all african people are cute but they are dark lol.

hodman   

igaarkaan cayda noola soo fariistay muxuu ka wadaa?

Midabka jirkeena iyo kan maskaxdeena? what is the connection between these two?

By the way are you THE oday Abdulle of MPLS mise koo kalaa magacii kaa soo xaday smile.gif

Ibtisam   

This is true, the first move is to accept it is true, not try to deny it. it is not a claim to refute, it is illustrated by Statistic. In order to change you have to realise that there is a reason they need to change. It is not something that is new, it has been argued by academies all over the place. The sole reason they are poor is not because they are African, but it is a major contributor. Africa is the poorest continent in the world (even worse than the Caribbean) and 70% of the world's poorest countries are in Africa.

Miriam1   

There can be no pleasure in saying so, but the facts point to one conclusion. Whether in Africa or America, Haiti or Great Britain,

blacks are poor because they are, for the most part, incapable of lifting themselves from poverty. Africa is poor, just as Harlem is poor, because it is populated by Africans

First, can we accept that is one helluva racist statment there. Africa is Poor because unforutnately its populated by "incapable" africans, or that regardless of oceans that seperate a people, black ppl everywhere will simply always be Poor and therefore needy for western intrevetion eh?

mean look at Asia, especially India they were colonized and enslaved by the Brits, but they are rising today and are becoming a force to be reckon with in the globe. I am not trying to take away from the evils that has befallen Africa, but why do Africans always blame the “white man†for everything?

Youn answered your self, why is India not comparable to African post colonial states...NEO-COlONIZATION, its a figment of some socialscientists imagation.

There is always..this comparison between the GDP of Ghana and Korea during the 50's. They were similar. But see where Ghana is now and Where Korea is now. Africans are doing something wrong they say.

Africa has been source of primary products during colonization and has been modified to be a source of primary products after colonization. Nothing much changed. While countries like India and Korea benefited from infrastructure built, such as railway roads, ports, administrative infrastructures. MOst African countries lost this lovely opportunity, any railraods built were towards,farming regions towards the ports. Which resulted in a bunch of unconnected cities and people.

There is no doubt that African Leaders post independance made grave errors.Just as you stated, there is corruption...

Africa's way out lies in the diversification of their market. A people cannot live victim to world prices of Cocoa, peanuts.....

It shouldnt be hard to refute that statement or even put foward that it is an extremely racist narrow minded statement

Ya rab, I am sorry ahkh, but how could you believe that those two horrid statements have any truth to them?

Someone needs to sit down to an intro to african studies or precolonial african history lecture!!!!!

Please I recommend you to visit your African Student Association and Get some info.

Could I provide you with easy readings?

Falol Toya..grab his famous text books

Cooper....Africa Since 1940...amazing read

Samir Amin!...his writings on transatlantic slave trade..

AFrica was not PRIMITIVE prior to colonisation that is a construction of the west, to undermine the history of MALI, ETHOPIA, GHANA. etc etc.

We were are are a people with a complex social structure. Far too much to explain. However. Get those books from your library and Read!!!

If you got any questions. Pls pm me.

Miriam1   

Just realised that some of the names of authors i suggested dont make sense, Thanks Pi.

The First guy is

Toyin Falola.

Colonial Africa 1185-1939

And his book on Pre-colonial africa is also very enlightening.

Frederick Cooper

Africa Since 1940

Samir Amin, wrote a very detailed paper on The Transatlantic Slave Trade

Just Googling him specifically on Scholar and I was able to get his paper titled "Underdevelopment and dependance in Black Africa" Origns and Comteporary Forms

I mean there is so much out there, you just have to check out the right resources.

Peace smile.gif

muunad   

Africa is Poor because it had so much to offer whether it was that of slaves or diamonds. There is a geological explanation that suggests that Africa was indeed poor and weak because of its geography. I believe that it had to do with Africa being wide and hard to cross from one side to another and along with differences in temp. the people were kept ignorant from their fellow neighbors resulting in not enough spread of ideas(there are evidences saying that Africa made the first airplane, but the geography wouldn't allow it) and as for all the tech. stuff with the train and the mines the simple truth is we don't need it. we are a complex beings and don't like nor fall for seductive change that hurts our brothers (except for the dictators which I do present a symbol of all the advancing countries who use poorer peoples health or strength.

*All data from geographical phenomenal data’s on Africa. Info might not be right on point.