Originally posted by OG_Girl:

Classique, as we always say " let the dogs bark.. the caravan still walking "
:D

wallahi very true :D

walqafila taseer ..........

Salam

STOIC   

POLICYWATCH

Analysis of Near East Policy from the scholars and associates of THE WASHINGTON INSTITUTE

Number Nine Hundred and Fifteen November 12, 2004

THE UAE AFTER SHEIKH ZAYED: TENSIONS BETWEEN TRIBE AND STATE

By Simon Henderson

The November 2 death of Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan al-Nahyan—president of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and ruler of its largest emirate, Abu Dhabi—had been widely anticipated, and the succession of his eldest son, Khalifa, to both positions has been smooth and faster than expected. Yet, filling the gap left by the man whom local newspapers describe as “visionary†and “sage of the Arab world†is likely to challenge both the al-Nahyan family and its relations with the ruling families in the other emirates.

Continuing Zayed’s Legacy

Zayed’s triumph was to take his emirate—which consisted of just a few mud houses before oil was discovered in 1958—into the twenty-first century while avoiding the turbulence that has plagued the Persian Gulf region in recent decades. By creating the UAE in 1971, Zayed protected Abu Dhabi (of which he had become emir in 1966) and the different tribes in other member emirates from the regional power vacuum created by the withdrawal of the longstanding British military presence. With control over nearly a tenth of the world’s oil reserves (mostly concentrated in Abu Dhabi) and an indigenous population of less than one million, Zayed had the wealth to buy success. The future of the UAE will depend on his sons’ ability to maintain family unity and convince the other emirates that it is worthwhile to remain in the union.

Some of the omens are not good. According to the BBC, Khalifa, the new ruler, “lacks his father’s charisma.†For many years after being named crown prince in 1969, he was referred to by expatriates as “the clown prince.†In his fifties and having already suffered at least one stroke, Khalifa faces a challenge from his younger brother Muhammad, whom Zayed named deputy crown prince in 2003. A few weeks after that appointment (which included the stated assumption that Muhammad would become crown prince when Khalifa became ruler), Muhammad was named deputy chairman of the Abu Dhabi executive council. Both appointments had the effect of sidelining Zayed’s second son, Sultan, the deputy prime minister, whose government appointments followed a dissolute youth.

Muhammad is the oldest son of Zayed’s fourth wife, Fatima. She is the only wife who holds official status in the UAE government, with the title “President’s wife†and the role of chairwoman of the UAE General Women’s Union. Fatima’s other sons include Hamdan, the effective foreign minister, Hazza, the head of the State Security Organization, and Abdullah, the minister of information, making her family a formidable sub-group.

Opposition from Dubai

Within the UAE, the main rival to Abu Dhabi’s continued authority is the emirate of Dubai. With comparatively few oil reserves, Dubai has been forced to develop itself as a commercial center, expanding a port that has historically served as a major trading link with Iran. The emirate also has significant industrial assets, including an aluminum smelter and the Jebel Ali industrial zone and port (the latter much visited by the U.S. Navy).

Dubai’s rivalry with Abu Dhabi has sometimes been intense. In the late 1970s, when Zayed made a military appointment that Dubai’s al-Maktoum family thought belonged to them, military units took up opposing positions. Nowadays, Abu Dhabi seems envious of Dubai’s entrepreneurship. A new seven-star hotel is nearing completion in Abu Dhabi, only the second such rated hotel in the world; the other is in Dubai.

U.S.-UAE Relations

In recent years, the United States has developed good relations with the UAE. In 2000, for example, Washington announced the sale of eighty F-16 fighters worth $6.5 billion to the emirates. The relationship has not always been good, however. In 1973, the UAE was the first oil exporter to announce an embargo on sales to the United States. Abu Dhabi’s ruling family and state institutions were also major shareholders in the criminal Bank of Credit and Commerce International, and were slow to take action when reports of bad management began to emerge in the 1980s and 1990s. Moreover, as one of the provisions of the F-16 sale, Washington had to grant a waiver of sanctions to excuse Dubai’s earlier independent purchase of Scud missiles from North Korea. In 2003, relations were strained by the activities of a local think tank, the Zayed Center for Coordination and Follow-up, which hosted anti-Semitic speakers and used anti-Semitic language on its website. After U.S. government protests, the think tank was closed. And earlier this year, the Harvard Divinity School returned a $2.5 million donation given by Zayed for a professorial chair because of protests regarding his links to anti-Semitism.

Prospects and Problems

The future course of politics in the UAE is likely to be opaque, with any differences between personalities sorted out behind closed doors. The ruler and deputy ruler of Dubai (brothers Maktoum and Hamdan bin Rashid) care little for administration; by family agreement, their brother Muhammad effectively runs the emirate. Many observers expect that his namesake in Abu Dhabi will emerge in an equivalent role; indeed, they hope he does because the two Muhammads are said to like each other and work well together.

But a small example of what might go wrong occurred in June 2003, when the ruler of Ras al-Khaimah, the third largest emirate, suddenly switched the title of crown prince from one son to another. The ruler had been increasingly concerned by his eldest son’s antipathy toward U.S. intervention in Iraq and his daughter-in-law’s support for women’s rights. The demotion provoked street protests, including gunfire, around the walls of the ruler’s palace by supporters of the deposed prince; military units from Abu Dhabi had to intervene to restore order (for more on this incident, see PolicyWatch no. 769).

In the worst case, the member emirates of the UAE could become dissatisfied with Abu Dhabi and seek alternative leadership or a breakup of the union. There is also a danger that Iran, which occupies three islands that the UAE considers to be its territory, might take advantage of any fragility. Accordingly, Washington may need to use its good offices to ensure cool thinking in the wake of Zayed’s death. Sending Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage to the UAE on November 5 was a good first step.

Simon Henderson is a London-based associate of The Washington Institute and author of the Institute Policy Paper The New Pillar: Conservative Arab Gulf States and U.S. Strategy (2003).

juba   

Viking

good one u realy fooled me until the last line ofcourse ;) but really u didn't see one ounce of sense in my post? i think u misunderstand what i mean! i understand that u think it plain greed on the part of arabs but im trying to say that WHY should we soleyly depend on the arabs for help!!or a better question why are u so bent on the arabs to help us as if it was their duty?(just cause their muslim doesn't make them responsible for our strifes and troubles some that WE caused on ourselves!) we need to start doing things for ourselves. When the time comes its not the arabs that will lead us to success with their money but Us as somalis and africans. Don't u want to be responsible for your OWN success and acomplishmnets? why give a reason for the arabs to act like our saviours!!!

dawoco   

Viking bro i can understand your views but as far as i know every individual will be judged on his and her actions-whether they be righ or wrong- i don't think a country as a whole is going to be either doomed or rewarded. What i am trying to say is that maybe not all those rich sheiks are wasting money, laakin only Allah knows what is in the hearts and minds of everyone.

However right you are about your dedication to bettering the lives of muslims all around, i don't think views expressed on a forum are going to make a change on how mony is spent by those who have it.

Spreading around ideals is great but that doesn't acheve anything but creating a fairy-tale while the world around self distructs. We somalis have enough on our hands without worrying about other nations.

Viking   

Originally posted by OG_Girl:

Vicking, no need to walk around in a mask , come out why you are hidding behind fancy names "Islam and muslims"? are you only one who cares about poor Muslims? What did you do for Muslims as a vicking or you just use Islam when suits to you? I just can't stand when people use the name of Islam or culture, language , just when suits to them

OG_Girl,

I won't even honour your ranting with a response dear.

juba,

I read what you said but didn't particularly agree with it. You started by saying...

dubais success is its own. Why does it have to help anyone else?

Why? Because they are Muslims, simple. We are taught that "A Muslim is the brother of a Muslim", this in the Qur'an and also Hadith.

i understand that u think it plain greed on the part of arabs but im trying to say that WHY should we soleyly depend on the arabs for help!!or a better question why are u so bent on the arabs to help us as if it was their duty?(

Who is depending on them? Only Allah SWT provides rizq and to Him only we can depend for deliverance. Allah SWT tells us that He tests us through our wealth and children; and I don't see the leaders of most Arab nations being very responsible in the ways they dispense of the wealth provided by Allah SWT.

It is the duty of wealthy Muslims to provide for the underprevileged. If you have a starving neighbour while you sleep belly-full every night, Allah SWT is going to ask you on the Day of Reckonning. Some leaders in the past (that we can look upto) have led very pious lives and have worked hard to please Allah SWT instead of paving their streets with gold. Omar ibn Khattab (RA) used to sleep under a tree when he was amir and didn't amass public wealth (though he could). Khomeini who led the revolution in Iran (I heard) used to eat dates and milk and slept on rags. When he died, he didn't have a penny to his name. These were leaders who could have built palaces (like Saddam and other current leaders have done, and still doing) but instead led pious lives.

Besides this extravagance, many Somalis (or other dark people) who have lived in these Arab nations claim that they were treated like dirt. Someone who has lived in the UAE almost their whole life told me today that they don't issue visas to people over 55(?) (especially from Africa) because they often travel for treatment (even though they are paying for it). All this while their noses are brown from burying their faces deep into Occidental rectums, trying to please kufaar. That's what we call Islamic spirit! :D

dawoco,

Muslims are not to be like some capitalist western societies where people only think of themselves. Our societies are to be tending to everyone, especially the under-previleged. Parents will be punished or rewarded depending on how they raise their children, children on the other hand will also be judged on how they treat their parents, especially in their geriatric years. Leaders are responsible for the people they lead, their peace, well-being and prosperity etc. are not to be taken lightly; and Allah SWT will question them on this. The wealthy are also responsible for the poor, those given wealth by Allah SWT should not ignore the poor and live luxuriously while they sit back and watch ongoing suffering. So it isn't as simple as you put it when you said...

but as far as i know every individual will be judged on his and her actions-whether they be righ or wrong- i don't think a country as a whole is going to be either doomed or rewarded.

Leaders are responsible for their nations, but individuals will also be held responsible for their actions. The problem with the Middle East (and almost all countries with Muslim population) is that they are led by corrupt, gluttonous, marionettes whose 'masters' are empirialistic Occidentals and not the only deserving master, Allah SWT. Since the masses (Muslims) aren't part of the solution, we must be part of the problem.

Peace.

juba   

Viking

..claim that they were treated like dirt.

Very true, i have sadly seen much of this unjustice not only to africans but indians aswell! i see where your coming from viking. All i wish is that we could fend for ourselves but that is difficult because of our poverty :(

while their noses are brown from burying their faces deep into occidental rectums,trying to please kufaar

:D :eek: :D

muslims should help one another viking, but to what extent?. The arabs can't do much for us and apperently really don't want to. We can't beg and plead. it is their choice wether they feel in a giving mood. They are really unconcerned with our strifes and to busy competing with the west in modernization and westernization (don't deny it) even the americans have helped us out more than the arabs have and even that help was tainted with alterior motives! So you see, not many major countries including the middleast give a flying crap about us.(i wonder why :rolleyes: )

Originally posted by Muad:

quote:Originally posted by sheherazade:

Classique, OG-Girl, now you both know there's no waasta like a Khaleeji waasta so get started! I want results and I want them fast. I expect a big fat expat. package: astronomical salary, accommodation in on of those villas by the sea, a Lamborghini in the front, unlimited hoildays, short working days, stress-less environment, sumptuous food, and my very own shopping mall.
:D

Do-able, no? Don't just sit there, network!

hmmm... did you consider Bank-Robbery as a career? if your interested, let me know!

ps. there is some risk - such us loosing your arm, head, ext...
Only if they catch me, bro. Besides, I'd never do something like that myself. Don't 4get the 3 important Ds: Delegate, delegate, delegate. ;)

There's a queue a mile long. Whittling it down is turning out to be a rather amusing distraction.

Q: Candidate No 156, how many humps does a Gulf camel have?

A: Err, depends how smooth he is with the she-camels.

Next!!!

I see u like bad jokes. :D

Have I been away? I talk too much on these boards. Anyway, in the last few days I have been distracted by a bout of writing that has cramped my fingers. There is one crazy story disturbing my night's sleep- the characters want to step out of my head and perform on paper and I have been resisting and writing about other things. Tonight I might start letting them out- there will be little sleep as a result. I'm considering posting it here on SOL. Depends how bad the bad jokes are.. smile.gif

The Next time i want to build a house in my hometown of beledweyne, am going to ask every muslim in the world if they need my help,first.

then i will proceed.

Next time i want to make a business investment, am going to ask all muslims if they are happy with it first.

separate business from family(muslim brothers and sisters). This is a business decision.

Now,the question is ,what is the point of building big buildings,when the very existence of it is in jeaopardy?,with the current US policy of pre emption,they should have invested that much money on defense or something to protect them. That para military GANG that robbed the irish bank can prolly over throw the entire khaliji countries.

Tuujiye   

VIKING SXB MEESHEEDA KA WAD..i AGREE WITH YOU..

MULIMKA XOGOODA WAXA HOOS U DHIGAY MAANTA WAA CARABTA..NIMANKAAN GORGORADAHA XIRAN.

AMERICA WAXA XOOGA U YEELAY WAA AYAGA.

MUSLIMIINTA DARISKOODA AHNA WEE FIIRSADAAN SIDA LOO DILAYO.

AYAGA RAAXO BEE KU NOOL YIHIIN, WALALAHOODA DARISKA AH SIDA CIRAAQ IYO FALASTINE, GAAJO BEE U DHIMANAAYAN...

I'M SORRY TO SAY BUT MR V IS RIGHT...

WAREER BADANAA!!!