Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

"Don’t Blame Me for Delaying Somalia’s Elections"

Somalia’s president says entrenched elites are blocking the path toward universal suffrage and insisting on an indirect electoral system that maintains their power.

Don’t Blame Me for Delaying Somalia’s Elections

To avoid a power vacuum after my four-year mandate as Somalia’s president ended on Feb. 8, Somalia’s House of the People passed legislation in 2020 to ensure that the political transfer of power rightfully happens only through elections. This means that the current elected officials have to remain in office until they are reelected or replaced through the electoral process.

Somalia’s elections have been delayed not because I wish to cling to power, as some have falsely argued, but because of a political impasse that has led to a division between Somalia’s federal government and some of its member states on the way forward.

At the core of the disagreement is a conflict between my government’s goal of universal suffrage through direct elections and those who insist on an indirect election model that empowers elites and denies ordinary citizens a vote. It is time for the international community to ask: Why must a select few clan elders and leaders of the federal member states hold the Somali people hostage every four years? And why must the private interests of this small elite silence the voices of the millions of people they claim to represent?

In Somalia since 2012, all presidents, including myself, have been elected to a four-year term. But given that it is essential that the country’s future leadership be determined through an inclusive democratic process, the 2021 elections were delayed to fulfill this requirement. In the last two elections, Somali clan elders played a major role in selecting the political representatives for entire communities under a strict clan power-sharing formula.

These clan elders represented, and still do, the five major Somali clans that share governance powers within Somali society. Since all previous elections were indirect and concentrated enormous political power and influence in the hands of 135 clan elders, I was keen to prepare an improved model for elections rather than maintain the status quo. The fact that there were sequential peaceful transfers of power in Somalia in the past, despite the delays in all previous elections, is a testament to the increasing political maturity of our fragile state.

At the core of the disagreement is a conflict between my government’s goal of universal suffrage through direct elections and those who insist on an indirect election model that empowers elites and denies ordinary citizens a vote.

In Somalia, our federal model also necessitates a strong partnership between the federal government and the five federal member states, namely Puntland, Jubaland, South West, Galmudug, and Hirshabelle. These federal member states play a key role in the national electoral process. Given that Somalia is a representative democracy, the federal member states are vital constituencies for political representatives in both the House of the People and Senate, with the latter solely representing their interests at the federal government level.

From the beginning of my tenure starting February 2017, my government opened the political space for dialogue in advance of any electoral process to all the federal member states, which are the main election stakeholders. In fact, it was always our clear ambition to transition Somalia from indirect elections to full universal suffrage within my four-year term, and it seemed possible after we reached an agreement with the federal member states in June 2018.

This was not immediately possible, however, because all five federal member states reneged on the agreement. Instead, they opted for a renegotiated election model, because they opposed the multiparty system based on proportional representation that returned power to the people and excluded the established monopoly of clan elders.

With much regret and dismay on the part of the main stakeholders, including federal lawmakers who wanted multiparty elections, an indirect election was negotiated and agreed to on Sept. 17, 2020, as the way to preserve and build on our national democratic traditions and aspirations.

In all post-conflict and fragile recovering states, state-building processes are constantly negotiated and shaped by dialogue and compromise. Trust is also in short supply. Understanding this all too well, I accepted the September 2020 agreement, which was finalized by a panel of technical experts representing the federal government and its member states. It was a dramatic shift from the goal of universal suffrage to return to a clan-based model simply to accommodate the continuously shifting views and needs of the federal member states.

This agreement and its implementation processes provided a clear road map and reasonable schedule to meet the election timeline. This process broke down as soon as Puntland and Jubaland leaders returned from their trip to the United Arab Emirates and Kenya—two countries which Somalia did not enjoy strong bilateral relations with—in late November 2020.

Then, last month, the Somali House of the People, in line with its constitutional mandate, decided that the only way to remedy this paralyzing situation and to preserve Somalia’s nascent democracy was to return to the aspiration of universal suffrage within no more than two years. This period was necessary to effectively prepare the elections.

Continue to read - Foreign Policy magazine

Dalmar1   

Walahi as an H Block i feel ashamed how the the Madasha behaved, i truly so wonder how will shariif and hassan mahmoud 2 ex-presidents and AAW who fought as war-lords while trumping the clan card against a sitting President govern Somalia if they became President.

How will Shariif who is the Head of the Mafia Madasha govern Somalia if he becomes the next President, already he alienated 70% of the country because of his qabyaalad antics against a sitting Government, its gauranteed that Millions of Somalis would become an Opposition against him the day he gets selected as President thats how much he and its Madasha are hated by all Somalis, ceeb caleyk yaa Madasha!

MMA, how will you act if these Mafia became the next Government and President after they broke the spirit of the Somalia people, sitting President Farmaajo and its Government?

This was probably for foreign audience. As the saying goes, I think the horse bolted. Stuff that needed doing when he had the political capital wasn't done.  It's a mess now.  I think mr. Mohamed should facilitate peaceful transfer of power and walk away to save lives or at least not be blamed.  

Fck this country.  It's far too gone for saving.  Let it balkanised, every village runs itself.  End of story.  

Duufaan   

Farmaajo is one of the elites but he can pretend not to be one. This is clearly Farmaajo argument against the dictatorship argument. The useless colonial elites like Sheekh sharif and Deni can not even come up with any argument they can sell to the public. They are not allowing any political talents from their community to come forward. They assosinated Yariisow and others who could compete Farmaajo by waving the flag. Maintaining the status queue is not an option for Somali people. This is their biggest problem, the embassy's meetings alone can not bring them to power.  With Farmaajo, they got a nightmare. Any of his shortcomings will benefit them either.  

That article is merey a futile craven attempt by Farmaajo to justify his uselessness, political ineptitude and inability to lead. 

What a small man Farmaajo is!

galbeedi   

Farmaajo should know that the  horse has left the barn.

He just kept repeating what he said six weeks ago.

The best quote in the article was this:

" Many of the remaining challenges of Somalia’s state-building processes stem from exclusionary elite demands centered on patriarchal clan identity. This does not serve the Somali people’s democratic or developmental interests for the long term".

Let us see what Rooble has for us.

5 minutes ago, galbeedi said:

If he keeps talking ,he might wreck the boat for Rooble.

Mudane Gadaaliska fadhiiso oo codkaaga yaree.

Lol 😆 

Hada saas leedahay miyaa? Waagaad u guulwadeenaysey maxaad runta ugu sheegi weyday? Or was the money still flowing back then?😁

Duufaan   
43 minutes ago, galbeedi said:

Farmaajo should know that the  horse has left the barn.

He just kept repeating what he said six weeks ago.

The best quote in the article was this:

" Many of the remaining challenges of Somalia’s state-building processes stem from exclusionary elite demands centered on patriarchal clan identity. This does not serve the Somali people’s democratic or developmental interests for the long term".

Let us see what Rooble has for us.

Galbeedi

Farmaajo is trying to repair  his mistakes of not signing the agreement earlier. Politics is local. If he is not reelected the Somalis will elect a new person who ever that maybe. He needs to talk about  that maintaining the status queue is not an option for Somali people.  It is mistake addressing foreigner audience. That shows misunderstanding of imperialistic system. After all many people do not have problem the current selective system but colonial tribal elites that system produced the last 20 years. Somali needs liberated again

galbeedi   
1 hour ago, Tillamook said:

Lol 😆 

Hada saas leedahay miyaa? Waagaad u guulwadeenaysey maxaad runta ugu sheegi weyday? Or was the money still flowing back then?😁

In Somalia,  those who came to work on time and worked hard were even called Guulwade. Supporting Farmaajo and wishing his success doesn't mean Guulwadeyn. 

Still I accept that adjective, but don't even again accuse me of taking illegal money from anyone/

Billa edeb baad tahay aan akhlaaq lahayn. Naga xishood oo wax walba afka ha soo marin.

galbeedi   
1 hour ago, Duufaan said:

Farmaajo is trying to repair  his mistakes of not signing the agreement earlier.

The way he finishes or ends his tenure if he loses will be very important. He should hold his head high and keep the narrative of dethroning the clan elite.

One person one vote will be here in less than four years and the players will be the same. He should keep the N&N coalition and look to the future. He is wounded ,yet he must face the election as alternative to others.

His main weakness is he never addressed these issues during his term. You can not rule Somalia behind the curtain  and blame others for your failures.

7 hours ago, galbeedi said:

The way he finishes or ends his tenure if he loses will be very important. He should hold his head high and keep the narrative of dethroning the clan elite.

One person one vote will be here in less than four years and the players will be the same. He should keep the N&N coalition and look to the future. He is wounded ,yet he must face the election as alternative to others.

His main weakness is he never addressed these issues during his term. You can not rule Somalia behind the curtain  and blame others for your failures.

Nothing would have worked as long as the two bought stooges - Uusbuur in Garoowe and Madoobe in Kismaayo - advocated the foreigners who own them. It is clear from the below paragraph:

"This agreement and its implementation processes provided a clear road map and reasonable schedule to meet the election timeline. This process broke down as soon as Puntland and Jubaland leaders returned from their trip to the United Arab Emirates and Kenya—two countries which Somalia did not enjoy strong bilateral relations with—in late November 2020."

Since dalal shisheeye u adeegaayeen, marmarsiyo ayee wadi lahaayeen inta Febraayo sideedeeda laga gaaraayo. The declare that madaxweynaha xilligiisa waa u dhamaaday. Just as they did.

18 hours ago, Dalmar1 said:

Walahi as an H Block i feel ashamed how the the Madasha behaved, i truly so wonder how will shariif and hassan mahmoud 2 ex-presidents and AAW who fought as war-lords while trumping the clan card against a sitting President govern Somalia if they became President.

How will Shariif who is the Head of the Mafia Madasha govern Somalia if he becomes the next President, already he alienated 70% of the country because of his qabyaalad antics against a sitting Government, its gauranteed that Millions of Somalis would become an Opposition against him the day he gets selected as President thats how much he and its Madasha are hated by all Somalis, ceeb caleyk yaa Madasha!

MMA, how will you act if these Mafia became the next Government and President after they broke the spirit of the Somalia people, sitting President Farmaajo and its Government?

Xasan Sheekh's open qabyaalad against dowladda and aligning with the (still) former qabqabliyaal Indhacadde and Muuse Suudi was not something that was expected from a erswhile president in 2021. Shariifka ayaa dhaamo oo xishoodo. Anyway, Shariifka, Xasan Sh. iyo C/raxmaan C/shakuur cid dooraneyso ayaa iska yar. Xildhibaanada imaan doono cusub lacagta dalalka shisheeye u soo dhiibay ayee ka guranaayaan and then vote for others, just as they did in 2017.

I don't think they will even be in top three. Kheyre has a lot more chances than them. If any newcomer has a chance, it will be Jibriil Ibraahin Cabdulle.

18 hours ago, galbeedi said:

In Somalia,  those who came to work on time and worked hard were even called Guulwade. Supporting Farmaajo and wishing his success doesn't mean Guulwadeyn. 

Still I accept that adjective, but don't even again accuse me of taking illegal money from anyone/

Billa edeb baad tahay aan akhlaaq lahayn. Naga xishood oo wax walba afka ha soo marin.

Ha ha ha😂😂😂

Galbeedi, sxb,  the exposure of your venal arrangements with Nabad&Nolol’s CBB financiers touched a raw nerve, huh? Are you embarrassed? 😂

Saaxiib, don’t get you knickers in knot. I’m sure your support for Useless Farmaajo isn’t a complete waste of time.👍