Sign in to follow this  
Zafir

AF-SOMALI HeavyWeights....Need Your Help

money   

And second verse ( the easy part) ..she is talking to the baby ... the baby cried and and she(mom) is telling the baby how s/he carried

Sidii mid an aabbe korinnin ..like a one that wasn't brought up (reared) by a father ... basically a child without a father figure!

Ayeeyoyin isu dhiibin - that grandmothers didn't hand (him/her) to each other ...ayeeyooyinkiisa koolkoolin...

Abaartii subag la siinin in the drought season, ghee (butter) wasn't given to (fed to)

Ameer dhalay loo lisaynin - a lactating she-goat won't be milked for

Abaydimiyooy la oranin - barbaariyooy la dhihin - (let) look after (him/her) said no one...

Sidiisii baad u oyday - like (that) you cried!

money   

Third party of the lullaby is not that difficult to decipher... but before I translate, we need to understand three things (concepts) here:

1:Dhibooy - u all know dhib is trouble ..so dhibooy is the one (baby-girl) that is causing trouble ( to her mom) --

2:dhiga xir - this is part of the Somali hut architecture ( how Aqal Soomaaliga loo dhiso )

the other part is Udbo -

Dhigaha are the latitudinal rows and udbaha are the columns (pillars) The two need to be chained/tied with strings and this is the most tedious part of building a hut. So when a girl marries, the womenfolk of the family has to build her a hut...( it is always the women who do most of the work in Somalia... men all they do is fight and complicate stuff)

Dhibaad is nutritious food like subag, oodkac and things of that nature - When a daughters marry and get pregnant ( weak), they come back to ther mother to be taken care and looked after during pregnancy

Dhiboya dhiboy dhibooyaa - O! You trouble maker (3X)

Dhiboy gabar dooni maayo - A troublesome girl, I don't want!

Dhibteeda iyo dhiga xirkeedaa - her burden and knotting (her) hut

Dhibaad soo doonadkeedaa - her coming back for nutrition

Ninkii ma dharaaranteedaa ...something is wrong with this verse ...needs to be corrected

dharaar is a day.. nin is a man ...

Is she saying then after the dhibaad she longs for her man? after the mom spent all of that effort to look after her pregnant daughter , feeding her nutritious food to make her stronger, then the daughter desires to go back to her husband and can't wait and talks he she misses him? It sounds like that!!

See folks, all you need to do is dissect the verses, understand the concepts behind each word, context it is used, the word derivations, the nomadic ways of thinking, parables, similes and then it is all easy to decipher it.

The only time I left for baadiye... we went to Yaaq Bari weyne (now leego outside ofdaafeed/ *********) or something like that and that is a farming community. I am pure ciyaal xamar but I read and enjoy Somali & English poetry. Ours is way more advanced than others and honestly English and all these Euro-centric poetry is in its primitive stages compared to ours..that is why we are a nation of poets and that is why every 3 Somalis one can easily compose some sort of poetry and prose.

Johnny B   

Zafir,

No Nuune, MMA, Cara, Val, KK, Naden, Castro or Caano Geel in sight.

Just Johhny , your mirror dede.

Amar iyo tilmaamiyo gudbe, aade iyo jooje

Iskudare, xiriiriye, falkaab, ereyadeeniiya

Ebyan iyo haddaan magacuyaal ku arkay joornaalka,

Mar haddii afkaygii la qoray aabbe iyo hooyo

Mar haddaan amaahdii ka baxay lagu agoontoobay

Abaal waxaa leh nimankii fartaas soo abaabulaye

(Cabdulle Raage Taraawiil: Afkaygii la Qoray, 1972)

money   

Thanks Paragon; my laptop;s keyboard is so small -

sagaalaadka is the 9th , that was miss-typo. Ayways I tried.