Sign in to follow this  
Zafir

AF-SOMALI HeavyWeights....Need Your Help

Zafir   

I need help in translating these Somali lullabies ( I personally think some aren't AF-Somali at all) into English.

Samoowa samoow samoowa

Samow sarar iyo legoowa

Sitaac iyo wagaradowa

Samoolaadkii gu’goowa

Siyaado an baaqanowa

Sagaalaadka arafowa

Sidaan doonahayayoowa

Sidii mid an aabbe korinnin

Ayeeyoyin isu dhiibin

Abaartii subag la siinin

Ameer dhalay loo lisaynin

Abaydimiyooy la oranin

Sidiisii baad u oyday

Dhiboya dhiboy dhibooyaa

Dhiboy gabar dooni maayo

Dhibteeda iyo dhiga xirkeedaa

Dhibaad soo doonadkeedaa

Ninkii ma dharaaranteedaa

Help if you can please.

Thanks in advance.

Malika   

^Are you sure that is a lullaby?

Sidii mid an aabbe korinnin [Like one abandoned by his father]

Ayeeyoyin isu dhiibin[one his ayeeyos didnt bother with]

Abaartii subag la siinin[ one whom wasnt bothered to be fattened during draught]

Ameer dhalay loo lisaynin[one no one bother milking a new goat mother's milk for him]

:cool:

[am out] :D

Malika, below is what you wrote:

Like one abandoned by his father

one his ayeeyos didnt bother with

one whom wasnt bothered to be fattened during draught

one no one bother milking a new goat mother's milk for him

Tell me now who can compose after your style yaa Caddeey?

Zafir   

On the money malika, right on the money. Mahadsanid. Farax Brawn could definitely use few pointers (what am I saying?? a whole lot of pointers from you)you did us proud Msabu.

Where are Nuune, MMA, Johny B, Cara, Val, KK, Naden, Castro when you need them? Needless to say, You all are dead to me, DEAD. :mad:

Blessed   

Zafir,

I shouldn't be this nice to you seeing that I'm not good enough to be in your heavey weights list but if you want more Somali kids rhymes with translations PM me your email address.. currently working on a circular for a few friends.

Emperor   

Paragon are you saying this all is Somali? I was stuck with the first word adeer, what is Samoowa? I know the meaning of Samow but not Samoowa perhaps its different Somali dielect, af-Maay? And what is Sitaac? I think the rest waan Bowsan karaa.

Originally posted by Malika:

^Are you sure that is a lullaby?

Sidii mid an aabbe korinnin [Like one abandoned by his father]

Ayeeyoyin isu dhiibin[one his ayeeyos didnt bother with]

Abaartii subag la siinin[ one whom wasnt bothered to be fattened during draught]

Ameer dhalay loo lisaynin[one no one bother milking a new goat mother's milk for him]

:cool:

[am out]
:D

^ Malika waa gambatay walee .. khatar !

only 1 minor I disagree with

Ayeeyoyin isu dhiibin: could be either

1- [one whos ayeeyos didnt pass him around(to each other)]

2- [one who did not surrender himself to his ayeeyos]

af-soomaliga waa cajiib change one letter and everything changes ! although semantically your translation fits into the rest of the lullaby if the author didnt make a typo and meant to write dhibin

Som@li   

Malika,Good attempt,

Geeljire,this line of yours is correct.

Ayeeyoyin isu dhiibin: could be either

2- [one who did not surrender himself to his ayeeyos]

I can't understand this,Soomaaligan yaa fahmi kara...I reckon Dhiboy is a name.

Dhiboya dhiboy dhibooyaa???

Dhiboy gabar dooni maayo--Dhiboy, I am not looking for a girl

Dhibteeda iyo dhiga xirkeedaa--Her troubles and house makings

Dhibaad soo doonadkeedaa---And her dire need of dowry.

Ninkii ma dharaaranteedaa????? :confused:

Zafir   

Dhibooy is meant the talk of a young girl. Hence, why the mother wants her son to stay away from girls, I think.

money   

Originally posted by Zafir:

I need help in translating these Somali lullabies ( I personally think some aren't AF-Somali at all) into English.

Samoowa samoow samoowa

Samow sarar iyo legoowa

Sitaac iyo wagaradowa

Samoolaadkii gu’goowa

Siyaado an baaqanowa

Sagaalaadka arafowa

Sidaan doonahayayoowa

Sidii mid an aabbe korinnin

Ayeeyoyin isu dhiibin

Abaartii subag la siinin

Ameer dhalay loo lisaynin

Abaydimiyooy la oranin

Sidiisii baad u oyday

Dhiboya dhiboy dhibooyaa

Dhiboy gabar dooni maayo

Dhibteeda iyo dhiga xirkeedaa

Dhibaad soo doonadkeedaa

Ninkii ma dharaaranteedaa

Help if you can please.

Thanks in advance.

Aqoon la'aanta meeshaan ka jirta waxeey i soo xasuusinee sheekadii duqii reer banaadiriga ee iska ooyay markii dadkii xaafadda u imaadeen si oow u kala saaro. Waxaa la isku qabtay Geelka ninka(Camel) meeqa naas aas leeyahay? Afar maas qabaa sida geesha oo naagta camal? ama waxbo ma qabo? Duqii meeshii jawaab laga sugaayay waa iska ooyay? maxaa ku ooynee aa dhahay? waxoo dhahay ..idinka iyo siis waxbo u aqoonin? Hadiin dhnto yaa wax idiin sheegaa? Geelka ninka ah hal naas aa qabyaa usna markki aan arkaayay waa ka kaadi haayay!!!

So I am gonna be that Banaadir elder and try to enlighten you the uninitiated ones (in the Somali traditions )

The first part (verses) is a exaltation (praise) while the second is denigration ( belittling) and third party is a statement of objection ( what she does't want .... somewhat sexist...since ours(society & culture ) is a based and dominated by patriarchy and male chauvinism.

The lullaby has some pre-Islamic and post-Islamic references.

Samoow has its root in the word samo - which is wanaag = goodness like ****** (the father of goodness, warsame ( the one with the goodness)

So the reciter ( probably a mother ) is addressing this lullaby to SAME (some dude or maybe the child himself) ... and telling him about the child

Samoow samoow samoow ....waa

O! same, O! same, O same, .. (this) is

maybe she is talking to the baby... remember this is a lullaby for the child ...

Sarar iyo legoow waa _ these are best parts (cuts) of meat Somali nomads love are the rib and the Shank ... So she ( the mother reciting this lullaby) is comparing the child to the best parts.,, just a parable ...analogy..

Sitaac iyo wagaradowa

Sitaac is an expensive piece of cloth made of silk

as of wagar : Wagar is a big shady tree that grows in a barren desert. it is like a palm tree in an oasis... so when Somali nomads who travel miles and miles to fetch water in barren wasteland see the wagar tree unexpectedly, they usually react with awe and say, wagareey waa la yaab! - even now in some parts of Somalia (in the north) they use it as an exclamation ... Wagar! ..in popular song , you may have heard ... wagareey waa la yaab jaceeyl waalan waa kan!

Nursing mothers in Somalia during the 40 days of umal-baxa, they carry either a piece of metal (Bir) in the cities or a short stick made of the WAGAR tree ( in rural) areas. by the way, the ancient pharaohs (originally from PUNT) carried the same Wagar stick to the battlefields to ensure victory against the enemy....

But back to the context it was used here...so she is referring to the silk clothes donned to the child and the good bearing omen stick she is carrying...because of the (greatness and beauty) of the child!

Samoolaadkii gu’goowa - the prosperity of the raining season of GU`

The phrase - samoolaadkii consists of two words - samo + ool meaning laying (situating in goodness )

Siyaado an baaqanowa a growth that is reliable

Sagaalaadka arafow the 8th day of Arafah (dhul-Hajj) - I hope you all know the importance of this day in the Islamic calendar.

Sidaan doonahayayoowa (he) is just the way I wanted (him) to be

in essence the mother is praising her child and comparing him to the best part of the meat, talks about the silk she donned on the child, the evil-eye protection stick she carrying (for his sake) to ward of (envious/jealous)curse (of others), she is comparing him to an everlasting prosperous season, to the blessed day of Arafa ( the day satan was defeated and Adam and Eve met of Arafa..or something like that)..she is saying this child is what I asked for (god ) to bless me with....

the second part ...I will do the explanation (TAFSIIR) in the next lesson (Cashar)

money   

at the end of each verse ..you have wa this is a measured rhyming style .... in Somali poetry....