Sign in to follow this  
Pacifist

Video shows Police handcuffing 5 year Old

Pacifist   

home-video.jpg

"No. Noooooo," the girl screams as police place metal handcuffs on her. They later switch to "zip-ties" to fit her small wrists.

By THOMAS C. TOBIN, Times Staff Writer

Published April 22, 2005

ST. PETERSBURG - Videotape was rolling March 14 when the 5-year-old girl swung again and again, her bantam punches landing on the outstretched palms of Nicole Dibenedetto, the new assistant principal at Fairmount Park Elementary.

She tore papers off Dibenedetto's bulletin board and desk. She climbed on a table four times. About an hour had passed since she refused to participate in a kindergarten math lesson, which escalated into a series of defiant and destructive acts.

-

As St. Petersburg police officers arrived shortly after 3 p.m., the girl suddenly sat quietly at Dibenedetto's table. And, just as suddenly, the tactics used by educators gave way to the more direct approach of law enforcement.

An officer sternly said the girl's name. Then: "You need to calm down. You need to do it now. OK?"

Seconds later, three officers approached and placed their hands on the girl's wrists and upper arms. They stood her up, put her arms behind her back and put on handcuffs. She bent over the table and let out a terrified scream.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/22/Southpinellas/Video_s...

I was outraged and mad when I read this but after watching the video I am speechless but I don't think they had a right to handcuff the girl.

What do you think of the school Official and how they handled this situation?

Do you think this was a right thing to do?

If it was your child or some child you related to or know would you be outraged about this or agree with the Police?

I have nieces and nephews the age of this girl who was handcuffed. I am really worried for them now. Seriously though I don't think that is acceptable. Would you tolerate this kind of behavior?

If it was you in this situation what would you do?

Nephissa   

Apparently, common sense has become a rarity these days. Whats wrong with school administrators, how could they even consider calling the cops on a five year old.

My heart went out to that Poor kid last night! she must have been so scared and confused. Don't you just want to hug her. :(

The parents should file a lawsuit and over run the school!!!

juba   

possibly the stupidest incident this year! SHE IS FIVE FREAKING YEARS OLD. The amount of harm she can do is kick you. :rolleyes:

J.Lee   

First of all, if this girl was my child, intaan karbaasho baan kamatajin lahaa. The way she was acting was beyond belief and if I was her parent I would be humiliated, but like you all I think the police and the school administators could of handled it in a better way rather than handcuffing her. After all she is just freaking five years old dude.

I think they should of called her parents to come and get her while the police tried to calm her down. After couple of days, then they should of scheduled a conference to talk about the incident as well as steps that need to be taken so that such an incident doesn't occur ever again but what I don't understand is why in the media most African-Americans are using the race card and insist that it was racial profiling?

If it was you in this situation what would you do?

I would sue the pants of that school and the police department! are you kidding me!

Senora   

beyond belief and if I was her parent I would be humiliated

Believe it or not,this was your classic case of "the temper tantrum".

I've voluntered as a teaching assistant in kindergarten classes to 3rd grade classes. Children can become irate. It happens. And usually, the first step to handling a situation that spirals out of control is calling the parent over. Drastic measures aren't taken until it is discussed with a parent/guardian. especially if the child is of young age. So this story was a bit bizarre.

underdog   

The "educators" are unqualified...I'd rather have the principle spank my daughter rather than involve police officer. A teacher disciplining a student is acceptable...However when you call in a armed trained people who deal with drug dealers and the scum or the planet on a daily basis, then you're impling something about my 5 yr old.

Needless to say if I walked in the room and saw 3 cops cuffing my 5 yrs old girl....

"Citizens may resist unlawful arrest to the point of taking an arresting officer's life if necessary." - Plummer v. State, 136 Ind. 306

There will be Murders