Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Dilemma

Ok. Here's the situation. Put yourself in this person's shoes;

YOU and a friend work together at the same company. In fact, you got your job because of her. She told you about the vacancy and also refered you to her boss. You two are pretty good friends in and out of work.

The boss asks you to come to his office; its important. You come in and find him with a serious expression on his face. He tells you that he is going to promote you and give you a raise. Your estatic. You've been working towards this goal for quite some time and you really need the money. Before you can accept he says 'The position your getting is your friend's current job and I'm planning to fire her'. He gives you an option but whether or not you take the job your friend will be fired at the end.

So, you either take the job, your friend gets fired, she's upset with you and you'll have to deal with the drama and possible loss of friendship. Or refuse, remain loyal to your friend, she gets fired, and you get passed up for the promotion which is given to someone else.

The boss tells you u have a week to make the decision and your not to tell your friend what he told you (this happened).

What would you do?

Baluug   

Take the job. She's not gonna pay you if you let her keep it, and she's obviously not doing a good enough job if the boss wants to fire her.

Faheema.   

Stay at your current position... She was kind enough to recommend you…and like you said without her help you wouldn’t have had this job, let alone a promotion. So, I say remain loyal to your friend. Don’t take the promotion. Hopefully a better opportunity will present itself…one that does not ruin your friendship. ;)

p.s. I get the feeling your Boss might be testing your loyalty smile.gif

Castro   

Originally posted by Kooleey:

He gives you an option but whether or not you take the job your friend will be fired at the end.

So she's out the door no matter what I do? Well, break out the champagne then cause we got promoted. Seriously, the boss made an error to inform you of other personnel's hiring or firing. The promotion is based on your work and the firing is based on her work. It would be tough dealing with her after the firing depending on her personality but taking the promotion is a no-brainer.

Kooley, you need the money too. :D

This is not about me; but would like to hear what you gotta say nonetheless. There is no such thing as a promotion where I work. :D However, if it was me; I wouldn't accept no matter how big the cheque is. It would hurt so much, but I'd feel guilty. And I loathe that feeling.

Arawella   

Ignore the boss and discuss the offer with your friend. If s/he is a good friend in the end h/she will not deter you from seeking the promotion. However it depends on your principles, which do you value more, friendship or security?

Personally, some things can be lost and never regained and true friendship is rare.

Well is simple really .. if she is her tight freind .. then no matter what my boss tells me i will confide in my freind and inform her/him what is about to happen, basically thats is what freinds too, what goes on outside is none of the ur boss's business ( unless you work for the CIA or SSA (Somali ...)

so tell the freind the conversation you had with the boss and decide together what steps to take.

if you play smart you turn this to a win-win scenario .. whereby you take the promotions and your freind sues the boss for unfair treatment, one for telling your freind b4 u knew u getting the sack.

gosh i luf dilemas .. till it concers me that is .

nafta   

What if she got promoted instead of you? Would she be so kind as not to fire you then?

It's not a case of loyalty, rather having a perspective on things. Things like friendship and the like should be kept seperated from the workplace. It's not professional to act on emotions so think about what would be best for you in the long term since you've been working towards it. You've put in the effort, she didn't. Simple as that.

BTW...when it's done and dusted, you can take her out for a nice meal, to console her and also because she won't be able to afford it anymore. :D (okay that might be a tad mean...)

Faheema.   

Originally posted by nafta:

Things like friendship and the like should be kept seperated from the workplace.

If that is the case...is it fair to say that she made a mistake in recommending her Friend in the first place?

nafta   
Feyrouz, personally I do not believe in friends getting other friend's a job, especially in the same firm since it can cause competiteveness, jealousy and what not. However, in this case it did happen, but that shouldn't cloud ones judgement. Ofcourse, you would be grateful but you don't have to take it to extremes and pass out on a promotion. The fact that you have to fire her, comes with the new territory, and that says more about the friend's progress within that firm than you as person.

Tuujiye   

Yarta..Kuuleey cali banjar!!..........Ilaah aa irzaaqada haayo not your friend....

JilJileeca jooji bajaq bajaq yahee!!!

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Jaylaani   

I wouldn't even think about it.

Obviously this boss of yours knows you guys are friends and you get the job because of him/her now he wants to fire your friend and give you his/her job instead. I think he's using you until some one better comes on. I would say, don’t take the job. Stay in your current position and look for a new job before they fire your asz too, which they will, since you refused to do their little dirty job of replacing your friend.