Sign in to follow this  
Johnny B

Egypt Wants to Ban the Burqa, France and Italy Too

Naden   

Didn't Tantawi retract his statements after a particularly vicious round of editorial lynching? I think he backed away and the universities' council won its higher court bid to allow students the niqab on campus.

Cicero   

Why would any wily wadaad tell a down-trodden, disenfranchised woman that she need not wear the Burka costume. It's just not in his interest. A wadaad would rather have four, burka-clad wives whom he can beat on the divine pretext of insufficient obedience . Had I not been an ethical humanist, I would be a muslim fundementalist. Mutliple wives, sanction to beat, and helpful angels who will curse on my behalf whenever one of my multiple wives refuses to have sex. As a male, the system is rigged in my favor. But I shall not succumb to such moral turpitude.

I guess the fate of muslim women rests on the shoulders of free-thinking, fiercely intelligent females like Naden, Lazyie, Cara et al. Wadaads aren't into womens rights.

some European governments have begun to fight back—not against
the Islamification of Europe
but against inhumane, even barbaric political practices in the name of religion which violate western standards of universal human rights.

Clearly here, the Burqa is not the point of contention.

Italy’s Northern League proposal “aims at
amending a 1975 law, introduced amid concern over domestic terrorism,
which bans anyone wearing anything which makes their identification impossible

Mohammed Atta and his friends must have been wearing Burqas when they had hijacked those planes.

the human rights/woman’s rights argument as grounds to ban the burqa.

Are they worried human or Islamification of Europe

Follow the burqa. Where she goes, you will probably find normalized wife-battering, serious child abuse, including honor killings too—as well as polygamy, and a pathological hatred of Jews, Israelis, Hindus, Americans, and all other infidels. There you may also find terrorist cells or supporters of terrorism. From this point of view—ban the burqa, and it may lead to an exodus of terrorists back to their fundamentalist-friendly home countries.

Whipping emotions and tying the Burqa to Islam and implying terrorism, polygamy (which is Islamically suctioned) and hatred of Jews and Americans ( as if Muslims don't have real cause to be angry with Americans and Israelis)is something inherently Islamic.

You can't have both ways duqa. You can't say Burqa is traditional clothing and not Islamic one and turn around and say Burqas are Islamic and represent terrorism, polygamy, and wife-beating.

Anyhow, this was beside the point, but my contention was having governments passing LAWS banning a piece of clothing is dictating what women can and can not do-Bikinis are welcomed and Burqas are not just cuz man said so!

Lazy-what's there to answer?

Naden   

I truly don't understand why anyone would oppose a woman's choice to wear the burqa or a niqab. Freedom of choice cannot exist only when people agree with us. If you respect a person enough, you will respect their choice of wear. No paternalistic pandering or sociopolitical score-pointing. Of course, coercion is unacceptable but that goes across all manners of dress.

NinBrown   

I guess the fate of muslim women rests on the shoulders of free-thinking, fiercely intelligent females like Naden, Lazyie, Cara et al. Wadaads aren't into womens rights.

Relly....what of Aisha and the other saxaabiyaat.

SOL is turning out to be an extension of the Daily Mail these days.

STOIC   

^ I swear to God some of these people LOVE to sow discord just to appear "enlightened" . If they believed in FREEDOM of choice they wouldn't have wasted their time on what is on the shoulder of a MUSLIM woman.Keep inspiring flaming rhetoric guys!

Naden Since Cicero anointed as free thinker freed from the shackles of religiosity, can you reason with our esteemed free thinkers league and emphasize the futility of banning Burqas. Hopefully, they won't see your argument as temporary lapse of judgment :D

Naden   

Che, we all have our shackles. I've made my views on religious wear known several times but for the life of me, I don't understand how anyone can coerce a woman who wears a burqa or a niqab of her own free will to take it off? And to use scare tactics, xenophobia, and sociopolitical agendas as is in France to do it. It is a dangerous proposition. You ban women's wear and the next people in power will have free reign on whose wear they will ban.

Nonetheless, I agreed with Dr. Tantawi on his advice to the young girl.

Naden-N there's actually an argument to be made for Dr.Tantawi's advise. I grew up in Pakistan and been exposed to Pathans who make up the overwhelming majority of the Taliban on either side of the border. The Pathans practice what they call Pashtunwali, unwritten law or code of honor which is pre-Islamic but which dictates every aspect of their lives. Many of the practices in Pathan culture stem from Pashtunwali and has little to do with Islam but since Islam has been fused with the Pathan culture, the religion is the justification for things like honor killings or the general role of women within society-how women dress is also determined by Pashtunwali and Islam is used to reinforce that.

On side note,the Pashtunwali's hospitality and sanctuary aspect is what allowed Osama and his cohorts to find home in tribal areas of Pakistan. A Pathan would rather die than give up man who sought his sanctuary. Of course, I'm not discounting the role Islam plays here.

Deeq A.   

Originally posted by Cicero:

Why would any wily wadaad tell a down-trodden, disenfranchised woman that she need not wear the Burka costume. It's just not in his interest. A wadaad would rather have four, burka-clad wives whom he can beat on the divine pretext of insufficient obedience . Had I not been an ethical humanist, I would be a muslim fundementalist. Mutliple wives, sanction to beat, and helpful angels who will curse on my behalf whenever one of my multiple wives refuses to have sex. As a male, the system is rigged in my favor. But I shall not succumb to such moral turpitude.

After keeping a close eye on your most recent posts, we came to the conclusion that you don’t add much value to this website. This site is maintained, edited, moderated, used and read by an overwhelmingly Muslim audience who kept it moving for nearly 10 years. Your open, sometimes veiled, attack against Islam and Muslims, alienates users and lowers quality of the forum. This is not a site for atheist fundamentalists. This is a heavily moderated Somali forum. Yes there is a bias towards topics that are within our chosen standards. It is not a free-for-everything venue. You have been given a chance to sensibly participate in useful discussions, but you have chosen to inflame others and abuse your membership.

We have no choice but to revoke your membership. Please find other venues when you can freely indulge in these kinds of inflammatory contests.

Good luck.

TOPIC IS CLOSED.