Sign in to follow this  
me

Re-writing the Quran?

Viking   

Originally posted by hodman:

^^ wasn't that "nomad" the prophet's (SAW)grandfather?

hodman,

That was Abdul Muttalib and he was talking to Abraha the leader of the Ethiopian army who had seized his camels because he was a guardian of the Ka'ba. Abraha looked at him with disgust when he demanded to get his camels back and said - You are worried about camels when the house of your Lord (Ka'ba - as described in Surah Fiil) is at stake? That's when he answered that...I am the owner of the camels...

norf,

a side point- we should not confuse *re-writing* with *interpretation*.

Islam's philosophy has been interpreted and enriched by generations of scholars. And implicit in the process of learning is understanding and interpreting.

By issuing such phobic decrees, these people are playing Islam into the hands of the insecure muslims that always feel threatened by thought.

If we react in such a way - or allow such reaction to dominate debate. The result is that they simultaneously (1) take away the power for muslims to think about and develop their faith (2) weaken the faith by turning it into a list of dogma without relevance (3) ultimately undermine faith by separating from the world and lives or ordinary muslims -- ultimately why debates such Khadra's and Tariq's are actually important and should *not* be demonized or belittled and camped into an *us* or *them* world.

The only way to triumph in this debate is to get out of the way and allow islam to be used in the way it always has been, i.e. evolving, debating incorporate ideas - in short being dynamic. Putting up a xero around islam and sticking heads in the ground will only serve to empower such movements and undermine islam.

N.O.R.F   

^^I totally agree!

However, one must try to understand what he is talking about before a discussion becomes another theatre plot. Confusing mischief with 'thought' is not a strong point of mine.

^ true,

but what we do with out the drama! smile.gif

[edit]

please don't take it as an attack on you or a point you expressed, i noted it with you in mind because i wanted your view - nothing more - cheers