Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

Islam Channel: the hidden Agenda

Ms DD   

Islam Channel: the hidden Agenda

Naima Bouteldja

23/2/2007

Last month British-based Islam Channel suddenly suspended its popular current affairs show 'The Agenda' fronted each morning by the prominent journalist and campaigner Yvonne Ridley.

There was no warning or explanation. Days then weeks went by, viewers' complaints and concerns mounted, but the mystery only deepened. Finally, the station relented and issued a very short press release blaming the TV regulator: 'Due to recent pressure from Ofcom The Agenda has been taken off air until further notice'. The statement ended strangely: 'No further explanation will be given on the topic'.

Did Ofcom really kill off The Agenda? A spokesperson for the watchdog confirmed that two complaints had been lodged against the show and were being investigated, but strenuously denied that Ofcom had interfered with the editorial sovereignty of Islam Channel's programme scheduling.

Another explanation was then put forward from Mohammed Ali, CEO of Islam Channel, in an interview on 16 February, five weeks after axing the programme. He admitted that while 'tremendous pressure' was put on the Islam Channel by Ofcom, the station's actions were ultimately a 'management decision'. Days earlier, however, Mohammed Ali was revealing 'The iWitness', an Islamic news blog, another turn. 'The Board of Deputies of British Jews wants the Islam Channel off air', he claimed, later confirming in another interview that we have 'clear evidence' that the Board of Deputies put pressure on the Islam Channel to pull the show from the airwaves.

Ali's accusations have drawn heavy criticism from a number of Muslim representatives. Adnan Siddiqui from the campaign group Cageprisoners was astonished, pointing out that 'harassment against Muslim programmes and organisations is a common occurrence. Interpal, continues operating despite a decade-long torrent of 'terrorist' funding allegations by media, lobbying groups and politicians. Yet Islam Channel wants us to believe that two complaints were enough to cause them to capitulate. I don't believe that pressure from Ofcom or the Board of Deputies is to blame.'

While these stories were unravelling at the Islam Channel's London base, further east an Arabian tale was unfolding. In a satirical article published in the British newspaper The Independent on 9 January titled 'Radical Ridley gives a Saudi prince the shakes', Oliver Duff reported that when offered the beneficent hand of Prince Turki Bin Sultan, son of the Kingdom's Crown Prince, during a post-hajj banquet in Jeddah in early January, the former Taliban hostage refused to shake it. Ridley's royal refusal, following Islamic tradition, strangely piqued the orthodox Saudi Prince whose chagrin was captured on live TV.

Days later, Ridley's daily show was axed while CEO Mohammed Ali was in Saudi Arabia, fuelling speculation that he was approached by Prince Turki Bin Sultan's entourage. Although the Islam Channel is unwilling to state the precise nature of their links with the Saudi Arabian regime it is no doubt closer than the one the Saudi's have with Al Jazeera, which has been banned from being broadcast in the kingdom. Their close ties meant that Islam Channel was one of the very few non-Saudi channel awarded the honour to broadcast the hajj live by the Saudi administration.

This is not a situation new to the combative Yvonne Ridley, who successfully sued Al Jazeera for unfair dismissal after losing her job as senior editor in November 2003, at a time when the US government threatened Al Jazeera, labelling it 'violently anti-coalition'. Whatever the cause, Islam Channel's decision to simply delete, without warning, a programme run by dedicated staff and supported by an enthusiastic community smacked of an autocrat's royal decree. Ridley herself is furious: 'Viewers were not informed about the decision for weeks, and I don't know what's going to happen. It is upsetting but the support I received from all over the world is overwhelming.'

Ultimately the issue of who applied the pressure seems secondary to the manner in which the issue has been handled by Islam Channel Executives, influenced more by a crude mix of old-school despotism and New Labour spin than by Islamic practices. The high profile politics show that 'everyone is talking about', as Islam Channel itself used to boast, is now a talking-point on internet forums and news groups for all the wrong reasons. However, the crisis engulfing Islam Channel could ironically turn into a blessing if the Executives listened to its viewers. Overwhelmingly voted most popular programme on the Islam Channel for its reporting on human rights issues around the world, The Agenda is a crucial corrective to mainstream TV, and a valuable asset for the Islam Channel. Without it, it's difficult to see the station retaining its impact, a point emphasised by Azzam Tamimi Director of the Institute of Islamic Political Thought: "As far as I am concerned, the Agenda is Islam Channel".

http://www.blink.org.uk/pdescription.asp?key=14162&grp=30&cat=138

Ibtisam   

programmes come and go, i don't see why she is a making a big deal about it, i use to work on the politics show, and that was axed a while ago, (although now they want it back) I think some people take things to exterem in any case, and soem of the aisan community almost "worship" reverts who alot fo the time have less/poor understanding on the deen in comparison to their own scholars.

Islam Channel has been in some difficulties (funding) so unless she is willing to give up her wages/ or fund her own show, she can't force the issue. Same with Azzam Tamimi he can put his money where his mouth is before trying to tell them how to run their own channel!

NGONGE   

I could never bring myself to watch any programs that Ms Yvonne Ridley presents. She always manages to irritate me with her sanctimonies air. I much prefer to watch other Middle Eastern channels (Sharja TV is good value). Besides, when The Islam channel started it was exciting and seemed like a novel (but much needed) idea. Now, whenever I had a quick glance at it I was always struck by its similarity to all those evangelical channels you get on satellite TV.

Still, to return to the original post and its topic. I see our tendency to delight in the ridiculous still goes on; yet another conspiracy theory?

Ms DD   

This statement from Islam Channel is on their discussion forum:

Message regarding the Agenda

Islam Channel stands by its statement that due to pressures from OfCom, the Agenda has been taken off the air. However we did not state that OfCom informed us to remove the Agenda from our channel. The pressure from them is real, they are now seeking imposing sanctions on us which could range from requesting an apology to revoking licence, Yvonne's programme was the cause, and due to complaints regarding the programme they refused to process another application for over a year now, where the normal time is 20 days, Removing the Agenda was clearly a management decision based on risk assessment as we are now concerned about the fate of the channel as a whole, we decided to take ofcom to court and in the due process we don't want to be in a vulnerable position

We also would like to state that Sister Yvonne was never sacked from the company, but was given different projects to work on that may be more beneficial to the channel as a whole insha Allah. I would strongly urge all viewers to make du'a for the channel, Islam Channel is your channel.

* No further messages will be made on this topic.

source: http://www.islamchannel.tv/forums/sh...t ID=11&mode=

When the situation is not clarified, conspiracy theories will become rife. They have not given clear reason as to why it has been cancelled.

Blessed   

LOL! There she goes again.

Yvonne Ridley cracks me up. If you believe the rumors, Al-Jazeera apparently sacked her after getting aggressive on the boss for drinking Starbucks coffee. :D

I'm not a fan of Islam channel, but is it wise to use a satirical piece written by a gaal as evidence of foul play by Mohammed Ali?

Ibtisam   

^she went mad on me for drinking coke, and swore by God and told me i was drinking Palestinian blood and should be ashamed of myself, i was not impressed with her at all. Needless to say i told her to hit the masjid and learn the deen before becomin a scholar, :D

YEah she sued them and go money :D

Blessed   

^LOL You poor thing!

She scares me anoo gurigeyga fadhiya and here you are getting her ‘you bad Muslim’ rants first hand. A classic case of ‘convertitis’. It's a shame though because she is a very intelligent sister.

Ibtisam   

I think the way she has become is a direct result of the attention lavished on her by the Asian puppets. Seriously if you saw first hand how they treat her, waad yaablahad, cajji. I'm trying not to insult her as a Muslimah, but needless to say there is much room for improvement specially if you hold the attention of so many people, you are accountable for what you teach them, which they will practice.

Ms DD   

lets make 70 excuses for the sister and i do admire her for her sincerity. We arent perfect ourselves so lets make dua for her and for all of us.

Blessed   

^You are right! We should also extend that same spirit of forgiveness to brother Mohamed and his team.

Besides, I think the sister is both vocal and eloquent enough to stand up for herself.

Ms DD   

You are right. Brother Mohamed is doing great job in my humble opinion. May Allah forgive his and his team's shortcomings.

Yes the sister is vocal and can stand up for herself, but she aint here though. I think she speaks a lot of sense where a lot of muslims are keeping quiet in what goes on round the world. At least these people we mentioned above are making difference. Dont you agree Kimiya?

Blessed   

^Totally sister! What they do in a day wouldn't be equal to what many of us manage in a lifetime. I was watching the GPU and subxaan Allah I was amazed at how they managed to bring all those Muslims together and present in such a way that all those people reverted on the spot.

mantra   

Ibtisam loool!

I've found her to be nothing but sweet lol, i'll remember not to drink Palestinian blood around her. I thrive on conspiracy theories...so this I shall investigate!

Originally posted by ibtisam:

^she went mad on me for drinking coke, and swore by God and told me i was drinking Palestinian blood and should be ashamed of myself, i was not impressed with her at all. Needless to say i told her to hit the masjid and learn the deen before becomin a scholar,
:D

YEah she sued them and go money
:D

Now I am mad at you for dissing Gabar kaa weyn oo Islaamtay! Shame on you, and don't drink too much Coke while it is what keeps you chubby!

Our people are starving and you are enjoying cabitaan qaboow iyo coke baas!!

Oh dear, you really need to die soon!