Sign in to follow this  
Intuition

Coming to America...

Asalaamu'Calaykum folks!

In about a week I'm to set off on my long earned holiday to the land of "opportunity". I’m writing here in order to have an opportunity to get to know people where I’m going. So sisters I’m looking for some reer mareekin hospitaity. Key things I would like to know is whats the weather like up there, can I bring my open shoes? And how cold is "fall" (is that American for autum?) what do you guys do for fun? What do you guys do for eid? I'll going to Somalivile aka Minneapolis, form there I hope to visit a few states and Canada (so I need some Canadian help too). I only know a few ppl like family, not much are really in my age group so I’m using my SOL members card lol.

Thanx in advance...

Aussie sista

plz rent the movie called coming to america! i recommend that alot...! make sure that u dont smuggle no exotic animal and leave your slang at the auzzie airport..!

i understand why u wanna to come to america and wc u with open arms...! come to la! we need to increase the nomad count there! knowing a lil spanish wont hurt either!! asta la vista....!

How long is your stay going to last? If you are a woman Minneapolis is the place to work due to the vast implementation of pay equity laws with regards to compensating work of comparable value along gender lines in most sectors anyway. Manitoba is the Canadian province right to top of it and it has the same legislations as well. That is crucial info for you if you want to ditch Aussie land for good.

salaamz folks...

Well mr zu, I plan to hit a few cities. The major one is MN because of family that i haven't seen in 20 years. Then NY and Canada for sure and maybe a few cities in between.

mr rudy, i've already watched that movie many years ago and i'd be very much afraid if thats how my stay would be like :( as for the nomad count...hm i wont be in the states long, i dont think Australia could survive with out me icon_razz.gif .

mr kong, my trip is a short one 6weeks only and i don't think the American government would allow me to work, i'm not planning on going with a working visa and i dont' plan on living there (what if i get shot :eek: ). is there anything else i can do up there other then find a husband :rolleyes: ? I know its getting off the subject but that seems to be the talk of the town here. if someone travels then marriage is on the table, what is up with that i'm sick of people telling me, hayee maxaa meshaas ku haysa?.

Somali's are so narrow minded at times :rolleyes: My other concern is if the folks in the states will understand my bloody accent. i mean imagine having a conversation with someone who can't pay attention to what i'm saying because there too busy commenting on my accent.

Where are all my sisters? Ladies i need to conections.

Intel   

Originally posted by Intuition:

is there anything else i can do up there other then find a husband

ZU arag sxb another one... we ain't good enough for'em :(

have a safe and enjoyable trip dear and plz sidaad kutagtey ku soonoqo :D

SeeKer   

Originally posted by Intuition:

I would like to know is whats the weather like up there, can I bring my open shoes? And how cold is "fall" (is that American for autum?)

Erm its a 50/50. I would carry them (open toed sandals) along just in case you get the nice days like today 75 degrees, but I also recommend a good angora sweater and light fleece jacket/windbreaker for those chilly days. Our trees have already shed so its not as beautiful :(

what do you guys do for fun? What do you guys do for eid?

For real I dunno what people do for fun here. I guess it depends on what your idea of fun is. Don't go to somali mall unless you absolutely have to. During Eid, mornings are filled with rushing to prayers and come night there is about three different parties going on. Beats the purpose of Ramadhan if you ask me but if its your cup of tea be my guest. Hope that gave you some insight. Definately check out the mall of america (mn claim to fame) and get some shopping done! smile.gif

raula   

INTUITION wlc {in advance} to America.

I would really say bring a not-so-heavy winter jacket. Coz even tomorrow we will have some snow flakes (perhaps in the north) but still Minnesota is unpredictable.

caution: Minnesota is a community city so dont expect to see skyscrapers all over. It would have been better for you to explore the twin cities (minneapolis/St.paul) during summertime but its still all good. Oh yeah, and the somali malls are not really MALLS :)colorful inside but outside its a mini factory plant. Definately come shop at the MALL OF AMERICA.

***I would be leaving the country myself soon but definately will welcome you if you are in town.

Salaam.

Salaams...I went last year by myself to my family and again last month with my 2 girly cousins.I had a blast with them and I'm glad I had some familar company with me to share all the wide-eyed shock with.Sida kale I would suggest you stop by Boston,Massachusettes as we stopped by there for a weekend in between states.Nice old buildings,Good public transport and historical palces U know...It was like London.....Almost.Lol.

Anyways have a great time in MN walaaley I've never been there....Insha'Allah khayr

Salaamz folks,

Well a lot has changed since my last post. I have since left my humble country and made my long trip to the United States of America. Flight down wasn’t all that bad. The direct flight went pretty smoothly and we arrived at LA airport in good spirit. The staff there were very friendly and I met a policeman that looked like that guy from King of Queens who gave me direction. My first recollection of this country when I stepped out side LA airport was the smell of fried food. I know this is the fattest nation but I didn’t think that I would be able to literally smell it off that. My next stop was to Denver. I’m not sure if this state is even worth mentioning, flying over the city looked like I was in the middle of no where with only a handful of houses scattered around desert terrain. It was also hot and stuffy! Thank god it was only an hour pit stop. Little did I know what headache was installed for me. To get to my final destination I had to find terminal A46. I mean how hard could that be, I’m an intelligent young lady right? Wrong I was wondering around the airport for like 15 mins following signs that said terminal A downstairs, but the trail always ends and no terminal A insight? I finally asked a staff member who looked approachable and they conveniently told me that I had to go to concord A and in order to get to concord A I had to take a train!!! This baadiyo of a place had an airport so big that you need a train to get from one point to another. But alhamdulilah it was only one stop and wasn’t all that hard. Finally my last leg was the longest. The long day and 20 hours of turbulence was starting to take affect and I was beginning to wonder why the hell I even set out on this journey in the first place. But finally it all ended and meeting the teary reception of family that I haven’t seen in 20 years reminded me why I took this long trip and made it all worth wild. The next day I was taken to The Mall of America and have been shopping ever since. Its now my 12th day I think and nothing much has really changed. I went to a few other malls oh and I was taken to the Somali “suuq†lol. Damn there are sooooo many somali’s here its amazing. On eid we prayed at the convention center and went through a stampede to get out. Other then shopping and going out for dinner and lunch I haven’t done much else, I’m not really sure what to do. And I haven’t met anyone I can relate to yet. Also whats up with people’s dress code in this state??? No sense of color coordination at all! I miss Australia!!!

Section6er…. I missed your sign at the airport, and when and where does this tour begin?

Raula…. Lol I know what you men about the factory looking bit. But you should have warned me about the clingy women who make you feel like you HAVE to buy something from their stall. As for the Mall of America I’ve been there a few times but I never get past the first floor. So far Gap, Ann Taylor, Aldo have sent me broke. Oh and perfumes, I almost bought the whole Perfumania store (which had a very lovely Somali lady working there J )

Xalimopatra…. Lol walahi I just booked flights yesterday to go to Boston and Canada, and read your post today. I heard it’s a pretty historical state with lots to see. Plus is it possible to drive down to New York from there? How long would it be? We might be going down to Chicago this weekend too. Do you think I’d be able to get in to see Opreah with out her makeup lol.

SeeKer   

^^^Not unless you have managed to nab tickets to her show before arriving in Chi town. Boston is a wonderful place but may I state that driving to NYC might give you a headache and a half, unless you have a house to be parking your car @ . Take the subway or walk while in NYC. Do the city tour buses they don't cost much and you see the most important sights. If anything you will have a basic layout of where you want to spend the most time come the next day.

PS:- Lmao on the color coordination. My friend always says that abt MN people. Its all good you kinda get used to the flashy colors and mismatched outfits :D

You know the hunger got to me and i had to take a break. So i guess i failed my duty but I was at the convention center for eid prayer. I live not far from there so I guess we just missed each other. I just mpls am in atlanta now and wont be back anytime soon so I hope you have fun.

Why didn't anyone warn me about Starbucks redface.gif !

And is it just me or do a lot of the Somali's on the road don't really know how to drive. I was draged to Suuqal Karamel and decided to step out side and get something out of the car and noticed this guy trying to "sqeeze" in to the parking space behind ours. he just backing up and backing up and then bang hits the car behind him, you'd think that was indecation enough that maybe he should find another spot. but nooo, he moved forward and evidently banged the car in front (my aunt's car) so me being the responsible adult i yelled, waraa waraa ma walantahy! Its too small can't you see you just hit two cars? He calmly pulled down the passanger side window and proceded to start a conversation that i thought resembled a shukansi attempt :mad: :mad: i was like excuse me that you doing you just hit two cars in a course of 1 min and you have the nerve to hit on me UUFF. I informed my aunt that hey some guy rear ended you in case you want to know. we went out together and he obviously went it to enought spot and calmly walked past as if nothing happened :eek: when my aunt asked him why he would try to park some where that was clearly too small for him he mumbeled and walked off! i was fuming. Not that there was any major damage, lakiin how irrisponsible he was. But it seems all the other marks on my aunt's car were due to similar incounters lol. bunch of weirdos man.

Oh and another thing, married men hitting on all the girls!!! don't even get me started on that, is it coz they think i'm new that i don't know any better akhaas.