Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Bono and Beyonce head Aids gig

N.O.R.F   

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3210518.stm

I find it incredable how ppl who promote sex and get PAID big time, can then turn around and do a concert for aids awareness. Ok the issue may need raising right now, but these ppl are raising their profile as a result, so even tho the concert is free and they aint gettin paid, they are gettin paid in real life by raising their profiles. If it wasnt for them in the 1st place, aids woud be lower than it is now.

Blessed   

lol@ they just confused. Look at Beyounce, she strts off as this decent chruch gal droping singles like 'nasty girl'. Than we see her rounchy videos and sexually explicit lyrics. Now we she is raising awareness about aids. If she starts claiming to be a born again virgin, I wouldn't surprised!

Anyways,

What are they trying to achieve by singing bout aids? I.m sure people in Africa are aware of aids... what they need is proper resources. If they had any respect for the people that live with disease they'd doing more than sing about.

I dont quite agree with you guys. Its a matter-of-fact that sex appeal and explicit vidoes sell. She is just using the never failing formula to achieve success.

To use that success to do good seems like a selfless deed to me. Its more likely an AIDS campaign let by Beyonce will be more successful than one by unknown professionalz. It maybe good publicity for her but I think its definitely more beneficial for the campaign. Her videos do have sex appeal and all the rite ingredients for a great-selling video, but it doesnt encourage unprotected sex and promiscuous lifestyle. Besides, this is da best some1 of her status can do...raise money required for resources.

Dhimbil   

Sex is not the only way to get Aids folks :confused:

Besides, this is da best some1 of her status can do...raise money required for resources.

^^Athena kudos...I agree.

First of all, just because beyonce does a sexy videos doesn't mean she isn't a virgin. Recent example, Jessica Simpson, was virgin till her wedding night. Most people don't do sexy or explicit videos and yet they have sex and are not virgins.There is absolutly no correlation between using sexuality to sell albums and having sex. I enjoyed recent videos of beyonce, and particularly love "nasty girl" song, it is sexual and "raunchy".But it doesn't mean hearing those kind of lyrics make me want to go out and have sex with someone. There is a difference between accepting one's own sexuality and engaging in sexual behaviors.

"Aid awarness" means people need to be careful and get tested on regular basis if they are sexually active.It means don't share needles with people you have no idea of their medical history. Yeah so africa knows they got aid but no one is talking and people infected are not telling, therefore it's spreading rapidly. And I am sure if Bono and Beyonce are going to have sex, they will definitely ask the test and use protection.

Atleast they are doing something aka raising money and to me that's more important than their sexy public image

ciao

N.O.R.F   

^^^so promoting sumthing bad then stepping back and saying be careful is a good thing? Give me a break! These poor ppl are dnacing to their music when they 'hook up' in the club then go do whatever only to be told "you should have been more careful", i should told you that in the song but didnt want to as i will not make as much money if did,u know me always looking after num 1 but hey yr going to die now, but dont worry we will sing for you AGAIN. Sex aint the only way HIV can be transmitted but it is the main one by far!

laaaater.....

Blessed   

TRUTH-SHALL-SET-U-FREE:

it is sexual and "raunchy".But it doesn't mean hearing those kind of lyrics make me want to go out and have sex with someone.

But it does change your preception of sex. The common promotion of sex in the media does have an influence on people's preception of sex and sexuality.

But anyhoot!

I suppose what your trying to say is that her promoting safe sex (if thats her aim) might encourage her young fans to parctice it safe sex. Rememeber when Ronan Keating stated that he was a virgine, most of his fans decided to follow suite - if it suites Ronanan it must be cool, eh?

Laakin, note how contradictory that seems? When public figures promote sex ala rounchy videos, they have no responsiblity on the messages they are sending. But, when the same people sing about the aids than we are to sit up and take note.. interesting!

Talk about sending mixed messages :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

QUOTE] "Aid awarness" means people need to be careful and get tested on regular basis if they are sexually active.It means don't share needles with people you have no idea of their medical history. Yeah so africa knows they got aid but no one is talking and people infected are not telling, therefore it's spreading rapidly. And I am sure if Bono and Beyonce are going to have sex, they will definitely ask the test and use protection.

So....are you telling me that the people in Africa are unaware of how HIV is contracted and what 'safety' measures they should follow?

Health Promotion campaigns need time and planning and regulare intervention by professionals. What Africa needs are clinics where the people can go to to get advice, counseling and constant support - which needs money. Aids awareness is something that needs to be incrporated into the daily life of the people in africa .. through schools and the media - films, music videos etc... if people are going to be at all serious about preventing the rapid increase of the disease. But a stand alone concert, the imact of it will only last for us along as Beyonce is on stage .. than again, the guys might get too mesmerised by her beauty to take note icon_razz.gif

Atleast they are doing something aka raising money and to me that's more important than their sexy public image

maybe I've missed it but can you highlight where in the article is says that they are rasing funds?

Raising awareness is what I've seen but I suppose that can be interpreted as raising funds by some....

Oh, so you saying (or implying) people, especially Africans, are having sex because they had seen videos of half naked women and men. Sort of like sheep’s following just because sex was promoted to them. Whatever happened to choices, values, priorities, …etc? That’s like taking “music’s influence” to a whole new level. Yeah the public associates with music, that’s why most of us buy albums, but the artist is in a way might describing events/emotions/experiences that we as individuals had gone through or know someone who went through then. Does that mean though when what they talking about in their music aka “promoting sex” that we should go out and do it. NO. As to your example, of a singer stated they were “virgin” and people thinking it was cool, to me again, it’s sort of validation to those who are virgin and living in a sexually active. So one someone famous is like a normal individual, it just makes it cool. But how many people are not having sex because some celebrities aren’t?????

Artists, movie stars, and all entertainers’ figures, which use sex, do it because we as a public told them that we like it and we buying it. So now we turning around and saying due to their promotion of sex we are engaging in sexual activities. Making records as musicians, despite most liking making music, is an occupation. So it doesn’t mean what they do at their jobs, selling albums is a direct representation of their personal believes. But rather, bono and others are using their popularity to do something. And that brings me to the raising money comment. This isn't the first article about Bono’s efforts in raising “Aids awareness”. He had been on celebrities’ shows like “Oprah” and MTV showed his trip to Africa with other celebrities. So it isn’t the first time I read or hear about his goals therefore I made that statement.

In order for people to go and seek advice, they first have to acknowledge they have a problem. But people aren’t, they don’t talk about AIDS because society looks negatively on it, there are stigma associated with it, so many people don’t feel like talking to mentioning they have it, which is probably the reason the number of aid cases in Africa is growing at an alarming rate. I can’t even begin to see how the media is going to reach people, when they can people can barely admit they have aids. So before one makes clinical to seek advice for, whether be it using contraceptives or how to live with AIDS, it is imperative for common people to talk about the plight that they are facing. And if people are contracting aids and others are aware of what’s going on, then why would large numbers of individuals are take such a huge risk just cause sex been promoted to them!!! With celebrities becoming involved in this social issue, it makes it the problem of everyone, rather than just a continent. “A conscious awareness” must be raised as to what people are facing and maybe then we wouldn’t just forget about the problem.

Anyways, to each our own opinions and view points

Good-bye