Sign in to follow this  
checkmate

Af-Somali Vocabulary

Rahima   

Dumashi: A woman would call this title to her brother-in-law as well as sister-in-law. Basically, a relation by marriage as far as the woman is concerned.

Seedi: Two men related by marriage, a man would call this title to his brother in law.

Sodoh: Mother-in-law.

At least that's how I use it.

Curly   

Can someone please tell what the days of the week is in Somali. I'm always forgetting Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. I know it's sad! But seriously need to know

How Often do you used these words in your every day somaali, when you are among friends or family.

Halis

Haraad

Hubaal

Hami

Dhabanaha

Dubnaha

Fiid

Habsaamid

Haleelis [/QB]

I use about 5/9 of these,but I do know what they all mean. Here are some more interesting words. Lets see if any of you used them daily or even know what they mean.

Sarbeeb

Shicib

Salgaadh

Sahan

Dufan

Tuhun

Dacar

Dalan baabsi

Dharaar

Gashaanti

raula   

Silence

Lakiin wouldn't it fall under the category of Incest in todays age

NO Dumaal and Incest are totally different dilemma's in the west. Indeed, many are not aware of such customs.

The words noted above by the poster are all familiar to me :D

Depending on variation in dialects the Days in somali had even a rhyme to them..here are some that I do remember..plz add:-

Monday-Isniin-?

Tuesday-Talaado/salaalo-?

Wednesday-Arbbaco-Arbaco nuunu(?)

Thursday-Qamiis-Qamiis Qeyr soo dhow

Friday-Jimco-Jimco jiif macaan(becoz schools were closed and many had half-work day schedule in Somalia :D )

Saturday-Sabti-Sabti sarqaan qooqan ;)

Sunday-Axad-?

Warmoog   

Shayma and Silence,

The closest English translation for dumaal might be levirate marriage, but I personally don't find that definition satisfactory. As far as I know, the reasons for which dumaal is practiced and how it's practiced differ slightly from what a typical leviratic arrangement might entail in other parts of the African continent (or elsewhere because the practice can found be in many different societies, including the West).

Checkmate,

Walaal, the idea that a 'pure' or 'perfect' Somali vernacular not only exists but is actually represented by that of a specific region is a myth (of recent conception, I might add). There really is no pure Somali dialect, particularly when we look at the origin of words and their authenticity. Every spoken dialect of our language has some use of foreign terms, often borrowed from the languages of neighbouring countries, former colonizers or people with whom Somalis have had historic ties (ex: economic, religious, etc.). With that in mind, one dialect should not be viewed as being 'better' than another because they're all slightly diluted anyway.

Yasmine,

thank you for the correction and the clarification walaalo, i completely have to agree with you.

There is "but" but it's very small :D yasmine, walaalo you have to consider the fact that the "af-soomali" spoken by the people from the "north" outweighs than the 'af-soomali" spoken people in "south". The pureness,the grammer,the importance and the affirmativeness walaalo.

abaayo yes you'r right, no dialect is better than another, but my concern is that the "value" of such rich/pure/grammetically correct words are NOT being put to use by our growing generation, that leaves me with the thought of where our coming generations will place the "naxw af-soomali" abaayo.

asxantu

Warmoog   

^Walaal, thoughts of 'the' northern dialect possessing an inherent superiority, even when adequate explanations of the criteria that superiority is based upon are conveniently overlooked, seems to be quite common in social discourse so I really don't blame you for espousing that view. I do, however, disagree vehemently for a multitude of reasons, the majority of which I don't intend to bore you with, but I would like to make two brief comments. Firstly, there is no uniform northern or southern dialect. Vernacular differs among regions and, if we look closely, we would notice it tends to differ within regions too. Secondly, I think the comparison you drew earlier between colloquial af-Somali in Xamar and northern dialects is a bit unfair. Xamar has been an urban centre and the site of contact between native populations and non-Somalis for centuries. Language may have simply evolved differently there than, say, an area deep within the southern interior or more remote parts of the country.

I should probably mention something else. Whether speakers are aware of it or not, spoken dialects of the north do utilize many words of non-Somali origin, typically Arabic (and Hindi to a lesser extent) because the area has a history of trade with people form those parts of the world. The adoption of foreign terms, or the 'dilution' of af-Somali as some folks would put it, is, above all else, normal because language is subject to change over time and, additionally, not unique to Xamar and its surroundings. If you meant to emphasize the differences among dialects then I completely understand walaal because they exist, but I think the languages of Somalia deserve more study and closer scrutiny before those differences can be used to purport unfair or unfounded dialectical hierarchies.

raula   

Whoever asked about the Question of DUMAAL-perhaps in western teachings it can be referred or is synymous to THE INSTITUTION OF LEVERATE MARRIAGE-where a widow is expected to wed her dead husband's brother"

Ma'salaama.

Qac Qaac   

I wouldn't be surprised if the english language doesn't have a word for Dumaal.. since westerners don't care about keeping the family together anyways..