Sign in to follow this  
IL CAPO

Computers Could Blind You.

IL CAPO   

Paris - Heavy computer use, especially among those who are short-sighted, could be linked to glaucoma, a disease that can cause blindness, a study published on Tuesday says.

Japanese doctors assessed the sight of more than 10 200 Japanese workers, measuring them for visual acuity and signs of glaucoma.

The volunteers were also asked to fill in questionnaires about their computer use, at home or in the office, and any history of eye disease.

A total of 165 workers, or 1.6%, turned out to have suspected glaucoma, characterised by tunnel vision or blind spots.

Those who were heavy computer users - defined as working onscreen more than eight hours a day - were twice as likely to have glaucoma than light or medium users.

In addition, of the 165 with glaucoma, 136 had myopia.

The study appears in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, published by the British Medical Association (BMA).

Glaucoma is a slow, gradual disease of the optic nerve that often goes undetected. Among the identified risk factors are smoking and high blood pressure.

The authors speculate that the optic nerve in short-sighted people may be more vulnerable to computer stress than in normal-sighted people.

If so, that would be dramatic news, given that so many hundreds of millions of people around the world now work at computer terminals, at work and at home.

Peace.

Well i cant say am supprised but its still worrying to think about :(

Oh well am gonna print otu the article in Bold Capital Letters and stick them nxt to the computer, hopefully the rest of the user's at my house will be diswaded from wondering on to it ;):D

raula   

No wonder all IT students are GEEKS :eek: Nerds with big ole' welding glasses, with 40/40 :eek: vision-and at old age..use magnifying glass to read :rolleyes: My remedy:-If you know you child is gonna be in the GEEK-SQUAD..better load them up with with CARROTS and BETA-CAROTENE supplements while young :D;) (now from a public health standpoint-ofcourse its IMPOSSIBLE but phisolosophically it might work ;) ).

IL CAPO   

Don't say i didn't warn you later on when you end up nicking and wearing your 107 year old Ayeeyo's glasses while going on a date.

Peace.

Feel not abashed if you are oblivious, Good Raula, because it is quite natural. I suppose by "philosophically" you meant "theoritically"; it is a minor error of diction non-native writers often make. In any event, whenever you do not know what you mean, just ask me.

With Salaams

PK

Those who were heavy computer users - defined as working onscreen more than eight hours a day - were twice as likely to have glaucoma than light or medium users.

....forwarded on to management smile.gif - I work far too long.