Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

Fresh Warning Of Heavy Snow Across UK

Paragon   

Fresh Warning Of Heavy Snow Across UK

Tuesday, December 29 11:35 am

© Sky News 2009

Heavy snow is forecast for many parts of the UK today, with drivers being urged to take extra care on icy roads as people return to work after Christmas. Skip related content

The snow was expected to be at its worst over Wales, with 25cm predicted to fall on hilly areas.

Snow showers in the West Country and across the Midlands, north-east England and Scotland were also on the cards.

Between 5cm and 10cm could fall across much of south Wales, Herefordshire and Shropshire.

It would be the heaviest snow to hit the area this year as a band of rain moving up from the south hits a mass of cold air lingering over the region.

The Welsh Assembly Government said contingency plans were in place to keep main roads open in extreme weather.

Its stock of salt for motorways was available as a reserve supply to help local councils grit roads, a spokeswoman said.

Inverness airport in the Scottish Highlands was closed because of the bad weather, while train services to and from Glasgow were hit.

The Met Office said that in north-east England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, many roads could remain icy after chilly conditions overnight.

Sky News weather presenter Lisa Burke said: "Wales could see 5-10cm of snowfall today on low levels; 20-30cm on the hills. Drifting snow is also likely on the hills as the easterly wind is strong.

"This afternoon, the snow will affect central and southern Ireland, Wales, the Midlands and east to East Anglia.

"Racing at Leopardstown could well be affected by the weather again - on Monday it was fog, today it could be a mixture of rain/sleet/snow.

"On Wednesday, the snow showers will be more scattered with northern areas having some to contend with.

"It won't be such a bitterly cold start across Scotland on Wednesday. Recently, temperatures have been as low as -16C. It will be more like -1C on Wednesday morning."

Last week's snowfalls mainly affected eastern and southern England, bringing travel chaos to airports and roads.

Forecasters have already warned of freezing weather for the New Year.

Temperatures are expected to plunge to -3C in most of England and Wales on Thursday night (New Year's Eve) and -8C in Scotland, with widespread snow showers also predicted.

New Year's Day will also be chilly, with the northern half of Britain struggling to get above freezing during the day, while London will do well to reach 4C.

----------

I think a pass on this one would be nice. We're no longer excited about snow. Once is fun, twice kinda OK, but thrice? That's taking the mickey. :mad:

Ibtisam   

We in the South should be freezing but not snowed under. :D

Today it is just raining for the world here. :(

The excitement about snow has passed- till next year, see ya luv.

Paragon   

Well at least it's a pretty sight. The country's best dress is snow. She's a beauty with snow on her - Britain, I mean.

Malika   

Let it snow,let it snow,let it snow..I hope schools are closed for the rest of the week..3 weeks off! bliss..heh

Malika   

^I was told,but ours was closed today. I hope they do that tomorrow too,I cant see myself waddling in that snow trying to get to work.

Miriam1   

LOL @ big spoon thing loool

Its called a Shovel - befriend it. Sometimes shoveling snow is not that bad - on a nice Saturday morning listening to your ipod - shoveling some new powder - head home to a cup of hot chocolate and back to a longer nap.

tiny lill snow and we are complaining....saw this old lady walking the other day and she looked like she was busting some michael jackson moves!..too funny..snow is beautiful to look at tho

chubacka   

getting tired of this white stuff, I feel for those people who live in countries with this sort of weather for most of the year.