Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Abaarso Tech University Wall Street Partner to offer internship in New York City

Abaarso Tech University School of Finance Adds Wall Street Partner; Enrolls Several SOS Sheikh Secondary Students and Launches New English Immersion Program

With just one month to go before Abaarso Tech University School of Finance opens its doors, ATU is proud to announce several developments that significantly strengthen the program. The school, whose motto is “world class education without leaving the country,” is already garnering a lot of interest.

“The ATU School of Finance was conceived to capitalize on AT’s strong Wall Street contacts as well as our know-how in teaching grammatically-sound practical English. The announcement today provides an idea of just how much is possible at ATU,” said Jonathan Starr, Abaarso Tech’s Managing Director.

To complement the rigorous coursework, the School of Finance is developing a cooperative internship program to grant students the opportunity to gain real-life workplace skills. The program will place ATU students in businesses for one to five months, allowing the students to learn about the companies, connect classroom theory with day-to-day responsibilities and develop invaluable relationships that will ultimately place them ahead of the competition when they enter the job market.

To this end the School of Finance is proud to announce that Firefly Value Partners, LP, a $300 million Wall Street private investment firm, has agreed to fly one qualified ATU student to New York City and provide a five-month paid internship. ATU plans to sign up both international partners like Firefly as well as Somaliland-based companies and firms to provide its students every advantage it can.

“Firefly Value Partners is excited about the launch of the new finance undergraduate program at Abaarso Tech University. We are confident that the combination of Somaliland’s best students, the great teachers at the school, and the leadership of Jonathan Starr, will create a terrific group of graduates who will be well positioned to compete for some of the most attractive finance jobs in the world. We look forward to contributing to the internship process,” said Ariel Warszawski and Ryan Heslop, the founders of Firefly Value Partners, LP.

Adding to the quality of the program, ATU will provide a two-week English immersion boarding experience for its first class of students. During this period, ATU students will work in small groups led by native English speaking teachers to strengthen their language skills, so that they will not only thrive in the undergraduate program, but also succeed in a global marketplace.

Finally, because the School of Finance is only the most serious of students, ATU is pleased to count 15 alumni of the elite SOS Sheikh Secondary School in the overall number who have registered; more continue to show interest. At $1,250 per year, ATU plans to provide a challenging and stimulating classroom experience comparable to other reputable universities around the world. It is the sincere desire of the founders that the School of Finance will provide the impetus for the university-aged Diaspora to return home.

STOIC   

Good news for Somaliland....I watched their high School spelling bee contest in youtube...I'd advice all Somalis(No matter what region they from in Somalia) to send their kids to this high School..there is a good future for these kids and thanks to their American instructors...

Safferz   

Originally posted by Oodweyne:

At least if you compare it how it was during the long dark years of the said unlamented existence of the Somali Union and it's political State that was based on
Mogadishu of that time, particularly between the years of
-
, indeed.

Free and public education nationwide was a tyrannical concept, indeed.

Safferz   

^^Cheap point, indeed,
my friend

For you could of easily see that today in Somaliland with fees and all being charged for the higher education system there, but, still, one can say that the level of University students enrolment and the chance that they have to advance their "graduate studies" in UK and other places when they finished their first degrees university education there, can't even be compared (in-terms of it's potentialities) that period of
"free education" of the then Somali State, in which you are fond of talking about it in here, indeed.

But, then, again, someone who may have tremendously
"profited"
it from that "lopsided free education" of that time more than others, particularly those who were what is today Somaliland, could be forgiven in saying that was the
"golden period"
, indeed. Since, him and his ilk could of have been the "beneficiaries" of that genuine unmeritorious system of that time.

Now, now. The only cheap point here is your assumption that I am not from the region in question, which forms the premise of your rather lazy argument. Full disclosure: I am from Hargeisa. My parents, like many exceptional students in the Somali Republic, received their graduate degrees at elite institutions overseas.

Intellectual honesty is a virtue my friend, even if politically it does little to advance your cause. Argue with facts. And the fact is that the education system of our region and the opportunities available to students (like everywhere else in Somalia at the moment, tragically) is nowhere near what it was 20, 30, 40 years ago, as can be expected from a state's collapse. While efforts like Abaarso Tech are to be applauded and signal a more promising future, we must not forget that this is a private boarding school with limited enrollment, making it inaccessible to most Somalis. What is needed is a public education system accessible to everyone, like that which educated our parents.

Hortan ninkani ma joogay xilligan laga sheekaynayo mise qurbaha uu ku koray buu mooday inay meel waliba sidan iska ahayd ? :D

Mise waa sidii gabaygii:

Habartii docdeediyo

degalkay ku nooleyd

daruuruhu ku hooreen

dadka wada hel moodoo

daad wararac bay tidhi

Habartii docdeediyo

degalkay ku nooleyd

daruuruhu ku hooreen

dadka wada hel moodoo

daad wararac bay tidhi

Ma inaga hubtaa uun inuu kacaankii soo gaadhay ?? :D

^ ^ :D:D ,, markaasuu wax isku qasayaa.

Maba oga in xataa la is af garan waayay oo macalinkii "qirinqiirka" ee koonfur laga keenay markuu Hargeysa yimid laba fahmi waayay.

Mid baa fasal soo galay uulo ah ,, sheekadanaa ka dhacday:

Macallin: Mukullaalo

Arday: Macalin Mukulaalo waa maxay ?

Macallin: Bashada waaye nooh

Arday: Macalling bashadu waa maxay ?

Macallin: Tan oo Doolliga cunta waaye nooh

Arday: Oo macallin Doolligu waa maxay ?

Macallin: Kan oo minanka gala ma arkinoo ?

Arday: Oo macallin minanku waa maxay ?

Macallin: Waar kuwaan waxba ma kasaayiin ,,,,,

Intuu xanaaqay buu fasalkii iskaga baxay :D

Hales   

In the entire North-East what is today knowns as Puntland and the land to the west inhabits namely the Sool and Sanaaq was made entirely of small tuulos and the like and its populations unlike today ran if the few tens of thousands, today these regions in Puntland numbers in the high hundreds of thousands. A large number of the population of these clans (which would later immigrate back to their ancestral territories because of the civil war) settled in Mogadishu in which they immigrated to in the 40s, 50s and 60s (my family was one of them)

There was practically no universities in the North (even in the much more dense North-west) and all the main educational institutions and the like was concentrated in the South namely Mogadishu, only Garowe in the North East actually had a high school. Students in Sool and Sanaaq actually had to travel all the way to either Garowe (which is closer to Las Anod) or Burco which is closer to other cities. Most students which graduated from high school had only the Somali National University which was then located in Mogadishu to turn to or learn in a different country.

The South advantaged economically to the North in every conceivable way possible and the bulk of recources gained from the economy there was located and spent on Mogadishu.

What you have today since the South fell in anarchy is the reversal of this and the stride is now shifted to the North, What the North now needs to today as its in the more dominant position is stand up and carry the destiny of the Somali race into their own hands.

Safferz   

Finally,
Adeer, as I said to you earlier, what you may wish things to have been is one thing; but,
"historical reality"
in so far as today's Somalilanders (who are yesterday's northerners) are concern is another thing entirely, indeed.
;)

A few points of clarification from the last few comments in this thread:

- I am female.

- I am a historian.

- And as mentioned before, I am from Hargeisa (though this should not be relevant, had I been from the South my point still stands).

I will leave it at that, I find both you and JB's theorizing quite amusing. There has been much research and data compiled on education in the Somali Republic, including dissertations I have come across; the facts are facts as much as you would prefer to deny them. Your political cosmology and distortion (in this thread and others) is hardly "historical reality," and simply undermines your argument. I generally prefer to stay out of these types of discussions on the forums for that reason; it is exhausting to debate individuals who cannot engage in intellectually honest dialogue.

Safferz   

In other words; you can't back it up your silly assertion about the differences of the educational system between the two period. Hence, the reason, you have decided to resort to flimsy argument about how others are not ready to engaged in what you termed as a
"intellectually honest dialogue"
, indeed.

You twist words quite well, and your strawman argument approach is one reason I'd prefer to bow out. You really have not responded to a single point I've actually made, but instead to positions you expect me to take or erroneously assumed my comment entailed. My initial comment was a single sentence supported empirically in response to your rather ahistorical post, and if that is so difficult for you to stomach, my concerns over the level of debate you choose to engage in are warranted.

What's this about my gender?

Safferz   

^ You're awfully confident in your abilities to use language for someone who writes in such impenetrable, awkward prose. I should remind you that you were, in fact, the one to introduce the comparison to the Somali Republic and initially made the baseless claim that education in Somaliland is far and above any education system the region has experienced in the past. The onus of proof is on you my friend, given that you are making a minority allegation which contradicts a large body of academic literature.

Originally posted by Safferz:

The onus of proof is on you my friend, given that you are making a minority allegation which contradicts a large body of academic literature.

You're backtracking terribly. I really thought you had something for him. Its really a shame. Thanks for coming out..It's a wrap.

Safferz   

Originally posted by AfricaOwn:

You're backtracking terribly. I really thought you had something for him.

It's not backtracking to withdraw from debate with someone who deliberately misrepresents my position to make the same tired, circular arguments. I browse the forums often so I should have expected that before replying to our brother here, but I felt the need to reply to such an absurd comment. And yes, the onus is on Oodweyne, since nothing I have said is contentious, disputed only by those who insist on politically motivated revisionist narratives (as is the case with the individuals in this thread).

You're all more than capable of looking into the historical research I am alluding to, but if it helps in narrowing your search, taking a look at some of the work of Lee Cassanelli at UPenn on education may be a good start. Said Samatar, David Laitin and Abdi Samatar have all also written on the subject. UNESCO education reports from the early 1990s would also provide a good overview and some important statistics for education under the Somali Republic. I'm acquainted with doctoral students at education departments at McGill University, York University and University of Toronto's OISE who have also produced relevant research. The information is out there.

Let me be clear - I am not in any way trying to attack the achievements being made in the region; as I said earlier, I am proud of the initiative and efforts in reconstruction and all that it signifies for the future. But the education system is not what it was, that is historical fact, and there is no reason to interpret that reality as an attack on Somaliland. Being conscious of this and continuing to emphasize the need for improvement will only work to improve the state of the country as a whole, moreso than those who would rather bury their heads in the sand in favour of the status quo.

InshaAllah I will leave it at that, and I would hope that you all understand where I'm coming from.

Odweyne & JB leave Safferz alone. She does have a point. In 1960 Somaliland had very little education facilities safe for Camuud & Sheikh. These two institutions were on par with the likes of elite schools in Singapore. However, very few were educated through its halls. Now if you look at the period between 1960 to 1991, there were a lot more schools built. People were taught to read and write with the national campaign of `learn or teach`. Nevertheless, I guess it comes down to quantity vs quality. During the period of 1960 to 1991, Camuud & Sheikh were reduced to has been run of the mill secondary schools. If you don`t recall most of the fighting forces of the SNM were the youth who had no stomach to be taught `Kacaan` of all things instead of having equipped laboratories.

Now if you look at the educational model of Somaliland, although the calibre of the institutions have a more rigorous academic credentials, the question is how many can afford the fee, compared to the free education of the past.