Sign in to follow this  
Ilka-dahable

maryooley bus driver pulls over and begins praying in the aisle

Passengers left stunned after Muslim bus driver pulls over and begins praying in the aisle

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 11:28 PM on 08th February 2010

Comments (517) Add to My Stories Enlarge The driver pulled over in his No.24 bus and began to pray in front of bemused passengers

A Muslim bus driver stunned passengers by pulling over mid-route and beginning to pray in the aisle.

The driver stopped the bus without warning before removing his shoes and, using a fluorescent jacket as a prayer mat, beginning to chant in Arabic.

Passengers said they feared the driver could be preparing for a terror attack.

No one was able to get on or off the vehicle during the five-minute prayer session.

Passenger Gayle Griffiths complained to Transport for London about the bizarre incident on the No.24 bus in Gospel Oak, north London, this week.

Mother-of-one Miss Griffiths, 33, of Camden, north-west London, had boarded the bus a few minutes earlier on her way home from work.

She says that she even feared at the time that the driver might be a fanatic planning to blow up the bus.

She said: 'I have done the journey a million times before but I was in a hurry to get home to pick my little girl up from school.

'We had just picked up and let off people at a bus stop and moved off again when the driver stopped the bus very suddenly.

'He got out of his cab, leaving the engine running, and walked towards the middle exit door.

'He laid out a fluorescent jacket on the floor and I thought that somebody must have been sick and he was covering it up.

'I didn't really think much of it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1249335/Bus-delayed-Muslim-driver-pulls-pray-aisle.html#ixzz 0fH3lvLF3

Aaliyyah   

mashallah...good for him. we should pray on wherever we are..am not the kind of person who prays whereever she is. But, my mom whenever we are on the bus or whereever she would start praying...and I don't know I don't pray in the bus (maybe cuz I just feel conscious about it lol)..but it shuoldn't be that way..you have no one to please but your lord) so alhmadulilah this brother is doing the right thing, plus the prayer takes less than 5 minutes? why are they complaining? how many times a bus driver pulls over so he can grab a cup of coffee?...

salaam

STOIC   

He should be a cab driver where he has the FREEDOM with his time.The Somali cab drivers in the States are the most family oriented, RESPONSIBLE, and RELIGIOUS folks.They don't give a hoot.They pull over and pray in any gas station.While I admire the brother guarding his prayer I think this was OVERKILL making inconvenience for everyone!

Is the story even true, the UK newspapers do exagerate, and the brother was wrong to do this, he should have made sure not to take that shift if it would collide with the prayer, otherwise now they will have an excuse not to hire "Muslim" drivers and so on..

Prayer is essential, but one must prepare for it.

Chimera   

I like how they conveniently changed his background from Pakistani to Somali. The media clearly has an agenda, and have chosen 'Somalis' to be their favorite scapegoats for whatever twisted underhand message their trying to send to the public.

Castro   

Originally posted by The Zack:

^worst they can do to him is fire him from his bus driving job, he will definitely find a better job ASAP.

Completely unnecessary theatrics. He should be fired ASAP. He will then have plenty of opportunity to make all his prayers on time.

in a Islamic country, can a bus driver stop and pray, even tho all passangers are muslims?

I wonder - could he say "oh People I am going to pray, just a chill at the back for 5 min?"... was he worried that the Salat will pass before he gets to his final destination? why didn't he change his shift if he was worried he would miss the prayers? Did he ask the Local imam what he should do in case such he faces such a problem? did he seek a fatwa of what he must do?

Feels the dude just acted without much thought of the consequence of his actions!

Agree with Castro, he should be sacked to give him the above mentioned opportunities.

Cheers

N.O.R.F   

Passengers left stunned after Muslim bus driver pulls over and begins praying in the
aisle

Did he stop when he knew he was heading south east? :D

Khayr   

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Originally posted by The Zack:

^worst they can do to him is fire him from his bus driving job, he will definitely find a better job ASAP.

Completely unnecessary theatrics. He should be fired ASAP. He will then have plenty of opportunity to make all his prayers on time.
Why are you always so cynical and angry? Don't you get enough sunshine in your area saxib.

;)